Cleaning rear wiper arm = I can see out my back window now | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cleaning rear wiper arm = I can see out my back window now

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
BEFORE
This is how the rear wiper cleaned the rear window before I removed it for cleaning.
wiper1.jpg

AFTER
Removed rear wiper. Filled sink with HOT water and Ivory dish soap. Let whole arm soak. Cleaned with toothbrush all around the hinge. Continue soak. Keep working hinge, and more cleaning with toothbrush. Finally the hinge worked like it should. No binding. Now rear wiper works like new. It might need a bit of adjustment since I am unsure on how much of the window it should hit before it goes back resting point. But for now, I CAN SEE :eek:
wiper4.jpg

Nice work. I thought I had a wiper arm problem with mine as it was like yours and did not clean very well. All I did was take an alchohol prep pad (in first aid kits) and wipe the wiper blade and it works great now!

Good job, mine wipes well but seems to move as it works so the sweep is not nice and round, I think the wiper arm mount fixing is loose.

Update...

After a few months, the wiper started wiping the same.

My ex-Ford mechanic neighbor told me to hit the wiper arm hinges with PB Blaster. So far, works great, and wipes all it should. Even though I did not mention it, he told me to not bend the arm in any way.

Back