Clicking sound from under vehicle (97 5.0 AWD) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking sound from under vehicle (97 5.0 AWD)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joey p. said:
So this noise is in fact the front driveshaft? I have it and I don't like it one bit. It is only noisey when driving slow and then it disapears. Can it be greased or replaced without replacing the driveshaft?

Depends. I was able to "salvage" my front shaft by removing it, and using a needle fitting to inject grease into the CV ball. The screws holding the d-shaft onto the t-case had also backed out, and two broke. Blue Locktite is your best freind here.

Mine seems to be making the clicking noises only when first moving forward or in reverse and is MUCH louder when turning the vehicle. Could that be the CV joints? The noise was coming from the TC or the ujoint. I know this, because I got down nearly underneath it while my wife backed up and turned it slowly. :(

You know what? Mine sounds like the same thing. When I am pulling into a parking space and going pretty slow to park, I hear the grinding/crunching also. It is more so when I am parking does it do this. I thought it was the brakes at first grinding because this only happens when I'm about to stop but the brakes are not it. Gotta be that damn driveshaft.....

anybody have any pics of a front d/s that's gone bad? so I know what to look for?

You wont be able to see anything... Its just going to be loose at the TC. Grab hold of it and shake it. If it has play then its toast. Make sure the bolts are tight before you replace it.

I removed the front driveshaft to see if it was the cause of the binding I get while turning. I was suprised to find out that the noise was still there even without the front drive shaft in. So, I guess my problem seems to be somthing else. I did notice that the front wheels look like they vibrate when making slow turns. (I had my wife drive it while i looked for the noise). I would assume if the driveshaft was bad then the noise would no longer exist without it. Also, after removing the shaft, the coupler at the transfer case still had some play when I shook it. Is this normal?

You are correct. There may be something esle. You may need some friction modifier for your rear lsd. I had my rear rebuilt and they found broken clutch packs inside. You also may have a bad coupler along with whatever else is going on, but I would check play with the front driver shaft on. Let us know what it turns out to be.

rob

So somthing in the rearend could be causing a vibration up front? What all can I check out in the rearend? What is friction modifier? Can I remove my rear diffy cover to see if anything is broken?

Oops. I forgot you said front. This is strange. I would take it to an alignment shop and have them look for bearing/ball joint/bushing wear. I cant be sure as my front drive shaft was bad at the same time my rear was also. I did feel it all up front though so maybe...

I have never removed a rear diff cover so I will leave that to the experts. I did get to look at mine when it was opened up. It was obvious.

Friction modifier helps keep the rear diff from locking too easy. Ford recomends it and the item # is in the service/owners book.

I have the same noise in my 98 5.0 xlt. I have put it up on a lift and ran it in drive to try to pin point the noise, but when it was off the ground (unloaded) the nois goes away. It makes me think that it is internal. Keep me posted if you find otherwise.

Where's a good cheap place to get a new d/s online? There's nobody around here that can get one... and I don't wanna check the dealership for 2 reasons; 1, they're usually expensive as hell. 2, according to Ford Parts Network, they have the one I need for $450.
The Napa here can't order the one I need, Carquest doesn't have it in there book, and the rest of the places make custom shafts but that'll run me $350'ish.

You may want to try calling a tranny shop.

the problem with callin a tranny shop around here in Alaska.. they all pretty much do custom d/s, and don't sell manufactured ones.. I may try and call atleast one, since pretty much everywhere I went told me to try 'em.. so it's worth a shot. But if I don't have any luck there, I need to find one online.

You guys rock! This thread helped me quickly pinpoint this issue. I have the same metal on metal nasty clicking sound while driving (loud enough that it seems to echo off buildings as one person put it). Like another person mentioned, it appears to be worse at slow speeds while turning. This initially threw me off but it didn't have the typical grinding noise of wheel bearings.

I put the X up on jack stands and put it in drive, confirming the noise appeared to be coming from the transfer case. I removed the front drive shaft and found a boot on the fwd side of the aft coupling (bolts to the transfer case) to be torn which allowed all the grease to seep out. It appears this boot kept the grease in that lubricated the bearings within the coupling.

I can't tell if the bearings have been damaged but it appears as though the worst case scenario is a new front drive shaft vice the $3,000 transfer case Ford tried to sell me. The process is quite simple. I found it easiest to remove the transfer case guard (4 bolts), then remove the six bolts from the front drive shaft aft coupling, followed by the two c-clampls securing the fwd u-joint of the front drive shaft. The whole drive shaft can then easily be maneuvered off the vehicle.

I'll keep you posted as to the final actions that made it fully mission capable. Thanks again!!

Mine made a clicking/popping so i changed the tc oil and it went away.

The X is once again Code 1 and Fully Mission Capable. Once the drive shaft was out, took it to a local shop that replaced the coupling that mates to the transfer case (according to the mech, this CV-like joint is also referred to as a "pancake joint". Since the dirve shaft was already out, I also had them throw on a new U-joint on the fwd end of the shaft.

Props to Dayton Driveline and Clutch for their competency and customer service. I wasn't even 1/2 way in the door and one guy starts laughing, "You must have one of those Ford Exploders!" Total cost was $101.65. I reinstalled the drive shaft and I'm G2G (good to go).

front clicking sound

I have a 97 5.0 AWD with 72000 miles.

I am getting a clicking sound under the hood in the front left area.
I only get this a low speeds up to 30mph. Its a faster louder sound when u get on the gas more too. The truck has new brakes and tracks good. Pretty much the whole this is stock. It only happens when moving, not rolling or idling

Does any one have this problem and know what it is or how to start to fix or evaulate it.

did you read the thread. TZhere is numerous possible solutions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes!!!, put another member down for a 5.0 clicking sound :D

Nasty sound about a week ago, so i decided to test it out, took out the front driveshaft, and no more noise. I plan to leave the driveshaft out for the rest of the summer, how much am I looking at in changing the TC? have to start saving for it. I've had this truck for a few months now, and it's been on the lift more than it has on the road. Cannot afford it anymore (2 front differentials, 2 new axles, bearings, front driveshaft) and now the TC. Well, I guess the transmission is next then :rolleyes:

Sorry guys, don't mean any disrespect, but just VERY frustrated and broke :(

Back