Climate control mode knob not working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Climate control mode knob not working?

Yasla

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Tier, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
I just got done fixing the blend door issue everyone has, really excited to have heat. While admiring the $$ I saved (console still out) I switched between the climate control mode switch and found that at all settings, a significant amount of air comes into the console port (exposed with console out, is basically large square duct at the bottom. Even on defrost, a ton of air comes out what essentially will go into the console once replaced. In all cases, air also comes out where its supposed to to some degree. I did notice that on all the settings from vertical to defrost (feet, feet/defrost, defrost) there doesn't seem to be any change at all in air settings for any location. I did check the linkage behind the radio console plate, it does switch to different positions when you turn the knob, does not appear to be broken. Is there a blend door like thing inside there that might be broken? Do you have to remove entire dash to get in and have a look? Maybe this is normal, and with console in it will restrict that air flow on its own by use of vents? Looking for guidance, I am holding off on putting center console back in, this doesnt stop me from driving it but is just annoying. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blend door only has to due with temperature not which way the air flows. Sounds like a different problem with the heater box.

Where would I start looking for this directional problem. I have heat at each proper location when selecting with the dial except when I select floor. Wifey's feet are freezing. Is the directional control behind the glove box?

BTW, I just have the regular hvac system with the three large dials; not the auto system.

I had the same problem after I replaced my blend door actuator. I was testing the system and the air only flowed out of the bottom duct. It was then that I realized that the system operates with vacuum and since I didn't have the Ex running nothing would change where the air flows out of. I started the Ex up and all was good. :dunno:

This happens when vehicle is running. I can put my hand by the floor outlet and feel only a small amount of air coming out. Flows nicely out of all other outlets when selected.

I'm having the same issue in my 03 XLT. Just noticed it this morning. Vents work fine, but nothing (or very little) from the floor.

Mine has this problem too. You might try this thread. http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249624 I haven't tried this method yet; still thinking of possibilities.

Here's what you're looking for. This is looking where the glove box door was.
brokenlinkage.jpg

This is moved in a little
brokenlinkage2.jpg

Notice where the black piece of plastic broke off
brokenlinkage3.jpg

:scratch:

I looked in there and checked it's operation and it moves fine. But doesn't shoot much air out of the floor vents when it moves to that position.

I'm just used to my Mustang that you could cook bacon on the floor and on your ankles, it was that hot. This is about enough to melt ice cream after a few minutes. Good heat, just lously velocity.

There are 2 of those actuators if you have the rear vents. The second is hidden by the console, just below the one pictured.

I am in the same boat looking for guidance. Just got done replacing the blend door actuator and now I just have no change whatsoever when I rotate the dial from vent to ac to defrost, to floor, etc. Currently have no floor air, med vent air & med defrost no matter what position the dial is in. This happened the same time the blend door started acting up. I was hopeful one would fix both, but looks like that's not the case. Any ideas would be great!

Well, after tearing into mine tonight I found that mine was broken like the pictures above. The whole piece wasn't broken, just the tab that the metal piece attaches to. I drilled a hole in it and safety wired the two together and it seems to be working now.

I'm not sure what you're actually doing to effect the repair. What wat attached to the broken piece?

I have the air flow issue on the 2002 Explorer I bought in November '17. I've looked at the actuators, which aren't broken, and I've checked for damaged Vacuum Hoses under the dash, but not having any luck locating them. I removed my glovebox and stuck my head in there while manipulating the knobs. When I change temperatures the blend door is working. When I change from AC to Dash the top actuator moves to change the flow (it works flawlessly). When I change to Windshield the top actuator closes and the bottom one moves. There is a small flow of air coming out the floor vents and a lot coming out at the windshield. When I select anything else (Floor, Floor/Defrost) the bottom actuator gives a tiny wiggle but doesn't actually move. Still have air flowing to the windshield and a tiny amount on the floor.

Does this tell me I have a bad vacuum hose that I haven't seen yet?

Back