1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Climate control mode knob not working?

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Yasla, November 8, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Yasla

Yasla New Member

City, State:
      Southern Tier, NY
      Year and Model:
      2004 XLT
      I just got done fixing the blend door issue everyone has, really excited to have heat. While admiring the $$ I saved (console still out) I switched between the climate control mode switch and found that at all settings, a significant amount of air comes into the console port (exposed with console out, is basically large square duct at the bottom. Even on defrost, a ton of air comes out what essentially will go into the console once replaced. In all cases, air also comes out where its supposed to to some degree. I did notice that on all the settings from vertical to defrost (feet, feet/defrost, defrost) there doesn't seem to be any change at all in air settings for any location. I did check the linkage behind the radio console plate, it does switch to different positions when you turn the knob, does not appear to be broken. Is there a blend door like thing inside there that might be broken? Do you have to remove entire dash to get in and have a look? Maybe this is normal, and with console in it will restrict that air flow on its own by use of vents? Looking for guidance, I am holding off on putting center console back in, this doesnt stop me from driving it but is just annoying. Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      Year and Model:
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      Blend door only has to due with temperature not which way the air flows. Sounds like a different problem with the heater box.

4. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      Year and Model:
      06 Explorer Limited V-8
      Where would I start looking for this directional problem. I have heat at each proper location when selecting with the dial except when I select floor. Wifey's feet are freezing. Is the directional control behind the glove box?

BTW, I just have the regular hvac system with the three large dials; not the auto system.

5. BigRondo

BigRondo USMC 1371 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Worcester, MA
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLT V6 4x4
      I had the same problem after I replaced my blend door actuator. I was testing the system and the air only flowed out of the bottom duct. It was then that I realized that the system operates with vacuum and since I didn't have the Ex running nothing would change where the air flows out of. I started the Ex up and all was good. :dunno:

6. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      Year and Model:
      06 Explorer Limited V-8
      This happens when vehicle is running. I can put my hand by the floor outlet and feel only a small amount of air coming out. Flows nicely out of all other outlets when selected.

7. gspfunk

gspfunk Member

City, State:
      Denton, TX
      Year and Model:
      03 Exploder
      I'm having the same issue in my 03 XLT. Just noticed it this morning. Vents work fine, but nothing (or very little) from the floor.

8. jetjockey352

jetjockey352 New Member

City, State:
      Oklahoma City, OK
      Year and Model:
      2002 XLS V6 RWD
      Mine has this problem too. You might try this thread. http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249624 I haven't tried this method yet; still thinking of possibilities.

Here's what you're looking for. This is looking where the glove box door was.
      [​IMG]

This is moved in a little
      [​IMG]

Notice where the black piece of plastic broke off
      [​IMG]

:scratch:

9. D Hook

D Hook Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omaha, NE
      Year and Model:
      06 Explorer Limited V-8
      I looked in there and checked it's operation and it moves fine. But doesn't shoot much air out of the floor vents when it moves to that position.

I'm just used to my Mustang that you could cook bacon on the floor and on your ankles, it was that hot. This is about enough to melt ice cream after a few minutes. Good heat, just lously velocity.

10. Infinity08

Infinity08 Active Member

City, State:
      Charlestown, IN
      Year and Model:
      '08 Sport Trac LTD
      There are 2 of those actuators if you have the rear vents. The second is hidden by the console, just below the one pictured.

11. fentos

fentos New Member

City, State:
      Blacksburg, VA
      Year and Model:
      04' Explorer XLT
      I am in the same boat looking for guidance. Just got done replacing the blend door actuator and now I just have no change whatsoever when I rotate the dial from vent to ac to defrost, to floor, etc. Currently have no floor air, med vent air & med defrost no matter what position the dial is in. This happened the same time the blend door started acting up. I was hopeful one would fix both, but looks like that's not the case. Any ideas would be great!

12. fentos

fentos New Member

City, State:
      Blacksburg, VA
      Year and Model:
      04' Explorer XLT
      Well, after tearing into mine tonight I found that mine was broken like the pictures above. The whole piece wasn't broken, just the tab that the metal piece attaches to. I drilled a hole in it and safety wired the two together and it seems to be working now.

13. radcar44

radcar44 New Member

Year and Model:
      2004 Explorer XLS 141K
      I'm not sure what you're actually doing to effect the repair. What wat attached to the broken piece?