Clutch Master Cylinder Pushrod Removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch Master Cylinder Pushrod Removal

tvance

Reaction score
City, State
Lynnwood WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
How do I remove the pushrod from the clutch pedal? I'm needing to remove the clutch hydraulics to bench bleed the system.

'93 XLT

Trevor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should have a small plastic cap-like clip that holds it on. Get down there with a flashlight and you'll see it.

thanks Bill. I did see that plastic cap/retainer & managed to break one of the tabs off before I posted. My next challenge was getting that snap ring removed.

I got the whole system out & vertical & purged of the old blackish DOT3. The pushrod is still connected to the MC plunger though. hmmmm

I just left the push rod attached to the master cyl when I bled mine. It snaps in and I'm not sure if you can remove it properly without breaking something.

I just wrapped a rag around the end of the pushrod and used it to push the m/c plunger to bench bleed.

Turns out that snap ring holds the piston/seal for the MC. the pushrod does come out-- it has two retaining clips inside the piston to hold it. (I saw a new one).

I got the whole thing back in, and now I've got absolutely no firmness in the clutch pedal. I must've got some air trapped into the system somehow. not a fun day

I got 'er done! These videos & info from Perfection Clutch were...well...clutch! Along with Ford bulletin #93-12-19.

I ended up buying a hand vacuum pump (Mityvac) which made bleeding the system quite easy, to the point I was able to do it all without an assistant. It was the best $40 I spent this week!

http://perfectionusa.blogspot.com/2005/02/no-release-air-trapped-in-hydraulic.html
http://perfectionusa.blogspot.com/2005/04/bleeding-ranger-explorer-clutch.html
http://perfectionusa.blogspot.com/2009/10/ford-ranger-mazda-b-series-pickup.html
http://perfectionusa.blogspot.com/2010/03/removal-and-servicing-of-clutch-master.html

Trevor

hi

i am in the middle of replacing the clutch master cylinder, too.

how did you manage to disconnect the pushrod of the master cylinder from the clutch

pedal? i had to break the plastic cap off already. do i need to go to a ford dealer

to buy it? i would really appreciate your reply.

You could have Bench Bleed by leaving the Master on the Firewall and running the hose that goes to the Slave up and into the reservioir. Hold it below the Fluid level so it acts like a check valve. Just pump the pedal until the bubbles stop, hold the pedal down and have someone connect it to the Slave.

i figured it out by myself.

it is okay or inevitable to break the plastic cap between the pushrod of the master

cylinder and the clutch pedal because it will come with the master cylinder when

you buy a new one.

i finally detached the master cylinder and the connecting pipe between the master

cylinder and the slave cylinder with the help of the special clutch tool.

this tool was 5 dollars and tax at the local store of autozone.

now i need to bench bleed the master cylinder.

thank you for your reply, tony.

That tool sounds interesting, do you have the part number or name?
Also, I bought just the plastic clip at the dealership before, in case you ever need another. It was about $2.

the tool is named ford clutch tool or something. it is well explained in

the chilton manual and is used to disconnect quick-connect line.

it is also mentioned in the video above.

Oh yeah. I didn't read closely and thought it was something for the master cylinder.

i finally finished replacing the clutch master cylinder for my 97 explorer and i want

to encourage others to do it. it was time consuming and not that difficult.

Back