• Register Today It's free!

code 214

Gatemann

Reaction score
City, State
British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer,'86 Ranger.
Hi,my 1994 explorer 4.0 auto has a trouble code 214,now studying the forum threads about this camshaft sensor problem i'm wondering will it leave me stranded or quit altogether until I can find a sensor(big bucks) and the money to pay for one? Or does the top of this sensor come off and be cleaned?thanks Mark.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i thought you only had to calibrate the second gen ones (obd-ii), not the first gens, direct drop in?

I have never calibrated them on teh V6 trucks, just drop it in. All it is inside is a stator, the computer only checks to see that it is spinning when you try to start the truck

that is my understanding. Before I even knew about the alignment tool I had done 3 V6 conversions which required removing/re installation of the cam sensor. I never aligned any of them and all the trucks are still running around today with no issues.

Cam sensor, synchroizer assy.

Hi .You have done three swaps?Would you know if the late 95-up type cam sensor is interchangable with the harder to find and much more expensive late 93 to early 95 type,This is for a 1994 Explorer with the 4.0 v6 as an assembly? Thanks.

Gateman

The later model cam sensor will not fit your 94 block
I have done well over three swaps, those were just the ones where the cam sensor came into play

I have put a 96 Ranger 4.0L auto into a 94 sport 5 speed
I have put a 98 Explorer 5 speed into a 95 Explorer auto
I put a 93 OHV into my 88 BII
We put a 94 OHV 4.0L intoa 87 BII
We have put a 03 SOHC into a 94 Sport
I have put a 98 5.0L into my 88
I have put a 98 Ranger 4.0L 5 speed into a 97 Explorer auto

and there are more I am sure

I have a thread on here, the 95 truck that overheated and got a new 4.0L, I talked alot about the cam sensor in that thread.. I will find it and post it here.

basically I got the new 98 engine into the 95 truck then realised the 95 wiring plug for the CAM sensor was wrong, so I pulled the 98 cam sensor and tried to install the 95 cam sensor, no go. I ended up re-installing the 98 sensor and just adding one wire to the 95's harness. I believe the 98 sensor just needed a power wire.

The 96+ sensor will not fit the earlier 4.0L block, the drive shaft is too deep.
When they changed the intakes they changed the cam sensor

you need a 94 style sensor.
93 did not have a cam sensor unless the truck was a CA truck
94+ had cam sensors

i'm almost ready to swap out my cam sensor in my 94 up here in canada.

it runs good, but its the only code left (214) and i don't want it to just quit and leave me stranded somewhere.

anyone know where to find a good price on a cam sensor for a 94? i usually buy this stuff from rockauto, but for some reason they don't have the 94 cam sensor anymore, and napa wants a lot.

cam sensor again

This is the cam sensor I have,late1993-early 1995.
fda4_2_b.JPG.jpg
fda4_2_JPG.jpg
(hope it works)to a late1995-1996styleMy Explorer runs fine however the 214 code is present and the check engine light is on,I don't want it to leave me stranded somewhere,I was hoping the black cap style cam sensor as an assembly from a 95 would work.mine is a three wire type and i'm unsure about the later one,two or three wire?.I can't get the picture to work but mine is the flat metal plate type with a little window in it.

no luck

So.I've had no luck as yet,however 410FORTUNE in the pic (95+ Overheated link)of the two crank sensors side by side it looks like if the shaft was cut shorter it would fit into the 1994 block,do you still have this sensor.Or does anyone have the two to compare side by side. I live out here in the sticks of BC ,I can't just run to the part store to compare. thanks

hey where in bc do you live?

also i'm not sure if a 95 would work in a 94, its essentially obd-1 vs obd-2, could be a different voltage and electrical signal. it could personally fit, but may report wrong.

hey where in bc do you live?

also i'm not sure if a 95 would work in a 94, its essentially obd-1 vs obd-2, could be a different voltage and electrical signal. it could personally fit, but may report wrong.

Cam sensor

Oh, is 1995,the year they went obd11,well I'm in Nelson area(No one here stocks what I'm looking for they have to bring them in).I'm just not willing to pay 600.00 for a new one(1994 STYLE),and if I can find something I can modify or update to with I'll try that,I'm thinking of newer cap style(95-97) on an older base(Late93-Early95),I'm just wondering if someone out there has the parts to compare,before I buy used or my new.

did you ever figure out a solution? lately it seems as if my cam sensor is trying to come back. it'll idle weird sometimes when i start the truck, and theres no CEL. once i hit the gas, the CEL will usually come on. If you hit the gas HARD when i get a start with no CEL, it will lag until the CEL will come on. It seems as if my Cam sensor is getting a reading, and the engine is trying to get used to the mixture again.

There was one time where i was on the highway and the cel went off for about half an hour. then it came on, and went off again. man did it ever ran good. i'm guessing the timing was precise and i was getting better mileage too.

hasn't been like that since. the code 214 makes the ecu use safe default values and it usually runs alright.

but i still want to change the cam sensor anyway, so that its the most precise readings possible. makes me feel good the engine was running the way it was designed after 14 years!

Back