• Register Today It's free!

Code P0171.

Squarehead56

Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger XLT
I have a 2003 Ranger XLT with 170,000 miles that I use for work. Today the check engine light came on but the truck seemed to be running just fine. Temp good, oil pressure good, amps good. Nothing I could hear. When I got home I attached my Actron Auto Scanner OBD II Scan Tool and it read "P0171 Bank 1 system too lean". Where do I go from hear?:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have found a number of threads on this topic. I checked for vac leaks, cleaned the maf sensor with electrical contact cleaner. I sprayed starter fluid around the intake manifold. Nothing. Today I read codes P0171 & P0174. It does idle a little ruff. About 650-700 rpm.

EGR valve

Mine was sucking air around the EGR valve....

I Found It.

Thank you guys, I found the vacuum leak exactly where NCRANCHERO found his. The split is in exactly the same spot on the elbow. I went to the Ford dealer in town and they only sell the entire hose pack for the PVC valve for $35.00. Of course they didn't have it and would have to order it. So I went to Pep Boys and got a peice of hose with an 90* elbow that matched the diameter. t was much longer and I simply cut it to size. $12.00 worked just fine. Thanks agaib for the help.:salute::D

Back