and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Codes 122 & 998

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by robmurt04, November 23, 2008.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. robmurt04

robmurt04 Active Member

City, State:
      Pennsylvania
      Year and Model:
      '94 4WD
      Hey guys, I recently had my TB off to clean it and now that its back in its throwing these codes.

When I scan it with the engine off but key on (KOEO) I get 122.
      When I scan it with the engine on (KOER) I get 122 & 998

From what I read and from what my scanner tell me:
      Code 122 - TPS (Throttle Position Signal) - Low Voltage
      Code 998 - Unavailable (I found out it means I'm pretty much in "limp home mode")

I hooked the scanner back up and looked at everything with the engine running, I'm getting a TP Signal of 0.00V.

Not sure what I should start with, it's not that I have low voltage it's that I have NO voltage. I have a high idle (just under 2000), it pulses, and randomly jumps & drops rpms only to return to 1800ish. The car however drives fine once in gear. :confused:

If anyone can help with any suggesting of what I should check, mess with, replace, hit with a hammer, ect... Please and thanks for input!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tbars4

Tbars4 Offroad/Fitness Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      Year and Model:
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...I would look at the wires for the TPS and the IAC...:dunno:...Make sure they are connected and in good order...I'm thinking one of the 2 are not completely connected and you might have a broken or loose vacuum hose or a air leak at the TB,TPS, or IAC...:scratch:

4. robmurt04

robmurt04 Active Member

City, State:
      Pennsylvania
      Year and Model:
      '94 4WD
      I have power at the plug, one of the 3 wires has power, the other two don't. Idk if they're supposed to or not?

Also: my scanner says that the "TPCT(V) --- 1.2"
      And "IAT=ACT(V) --- 2.66"

Checked to make sure everything was plugged in securely and what not too, still have the problems

5. boggs1227

boggs1227 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Flowery Branch , Georgia, 1994 sport 2wd auto
      Year and Model:
      2005 colorado 2wd 5spd
      2nd that on the connections . i put on a new maf and the maf was ok for about 6 months but all of asudden i got a cel one day while driveing..looked at everything and found that the gripper part of the connector would not make good contact on the sensor...no matter how much i tried to push it on the maf it would be ok then i would get a cel....basiclly had to tie wrap it on there tight so it made a proper connection ,no more cel after that.

6. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      Year and Model:
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      TPS is a simple potentiometer. 0V suggests that there's a break somewhere in the TPS circuit. Should be pretty easy to track down with a wiring diagram and a voltmeter (I've found that even the wiring diagram in Chiltons would be adequate for the TPS circuit).