How to: - Cold air in glove box -OR- No air flow from vents on Max AC - Here's a workaround | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Cold air in glove box -OR- No air flow from vents on Max AC - Here's a workaround

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Need some help!!!!

I seem to be having the same problem that "waynesmith" has reported:
Great air(both hot and cold(a/c)), out of the defrost ports, but still the same poor to none out of the front vents..........

I have done the following:
1.) Replace the "blend door" at dealership last year. (before I saw this forum)
2.) Removed the "Air Inlet Duct" today. (careful to make sure, none of the small hoses were pinched.
3.) Check to make sure the vent doors are open....etc

2003 Explorer XLS - my daughter's daily driver at college.

Any recommendations.......?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We be chillin' now! - pulled out the recirc door just as advertised, didn't bother dropping the fan motor. Pried the box open and grabbed the virtually intact door with some needlenose, pulled it out no problem. Used some metalic duct tape to close off (mostly) the cowling under the wiper. So now we are in the recirc-mode + a little outside air.

Thanks a bunch to all the contributors! Two thumbs up!

Now if someone can tell me how to get the outside temperature to display in the message center...

Curtis, Thank you. You are a lifesaver. This absolutely worked and I have blasting cold air again. However, this was not as easy as it looks or sounds.

Let me premise this by telling you that I have the mechanical aptitude of a special needs Labrador puppy who just woke up. But, I do own tools and being unemployed, have plenty of spare time on my hands.

I'm in Texas and it is 100 degrees outside. My air started blowing out the dash vents much less than it used to. And, the air noise seemed to greatly increase in the passenger dash area. I had all the symptoms of the broken door problem you described.

So, after glancing at your steps I went outside and popped all the doors of the car open. I did not find any need to drop the blower motor, but lowered the glove box and started cranking screws on the box with the broken flapper door inside to remove it. Let's just say that even with a Barbie sized ratchet, it was still tight quarters. My little bike repair ratchet would only swing an inch and then when I'd swing it back, I had to physically hold the socket so it wouldn't turn with the ratchet every time re-tightening what I had just loosened. With both hands in the dash and my sweaty fingers, this was not easy.

Then, I couldn't figure out how to split the box open. I ended up wedging a screwdriver where I had pulled the screws to see what would open. After locating how it split open, I could only just barely get my fingers in there. It seems the left side of the box was permanently and forever joined at the corner...a clip? melted shut? I don't know, but I only had the passenger side corner to work with. And that door just had to be the entire width of that box, right? Somehow, with the sun in my eyes and sweat also dripping in my eyes and my fingertips raw....I got that dang flapper door out. I got an edge wedged in the crack opening of the box and used pliers to yank it out. Success! My air now blows like it used to.

Would I do it again? Not sure. Will I sleep in the car in the driveway tonight enjoying the A/C? Maybe. Will I do the big dash swing out replace the part for real this fall? After my nerves have calmed, maybe.

Just joined the forum to properly thank you for your awesome service to us EX owners.

Anyone know how to remove the outside intake black cover? I believe there is debris covering the outside vents and I want to clean it

It pops off. I get my fingures under the lip at the windshield side near outside ends, and pull up gently. When you pop the hood, you can see the part of it that pops into firewall.

Thank you Curtis!

Just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to post the "fix". My wife and I bought a 2002 Explorer new. My oldest was taught to drive in this and 5 years later our youngest began to learn to drive in this vehicle when I noticed the windshield would not defrost. What a drag! Of course no one knew when this began, but when I found out what Ford wanted to fix, well insert bad words here because that's what I did before I found this forum and your considerate post.

Thanks Curtis and God bless you and yours for taking the time to help us out!

Rspectfully,
Steve :thumbsup:

We've had air that was plenty cold, but there sure wasn't much of it! After this thread, about and hour of digging and tugging we managed to destroy a mouse house that had been erected between teh guard and the door. We now have as much air on #1 as we used to have on #4 . Can't tell a big difference in AC and MaxAC, but hey, it's plenty and it's cold so we're happy! Thanks to the OP and all others that made this possible!

I've had this problem since I bought the truck two years ago but now starting to look into it. Especially in S. FL, during summer it is getting unbearable.

I will try this and hope this works. Thanks to everyone, this is great.

I've had this problem since I bought the truck two years ago but now starting to look into it. Especially in S. FL, during summer it is getting unbearable.

I will try this and hope this works. Thanks to everyone, this is great.
I lived with it for a couple of years, but decided to actually replace the broken part. Two very good posts. I ripped thed door out 3 years ago when it broke and finally replace a couple of weeks ago. Check out
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2008/08/2003-ford-explorer-ac-not-cold-enough/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316624&highlight=remove+glovebox

I lived with it for a couple of years, but decided to actually replace the broken part. Two very good posts. I ripped thed door out 3 years ago when it broke and finally replace a couple of weeks ago. Check out
http://www.denlorstools.com/autoblog/2008/08/2003-ford-explorer-ac-not-cold-enough/
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316624&highlight=remove+glovebox

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Does the broken door affect other aspects off the air. For example, when I turn it to defrost, nothing changes, it the same air coming out of the vents.

Thanks, I'll give it a look. Does the broken door affect other aspects off the air. For example, when I turn it to defrost, nothing changes, it the same air coming out of the vents.
That's a different issue. Could be vacuum leak or in my case it was caused by this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323586
I ended up using a zip tie to fix. Wish I would have done that a couple of years ago too. Both broke on mine about the same time. Also [MENTION=134770]BigRondo[/MENTION] also posted a very helpful document that showed vacuum lines for single and dual zone climate control. Climate Control System troubleshooting from the shop manual. You might want to check out this post too.

That's a different issue. Could be vacuum leak or in my case it was caused by this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323586
I ended up using a zip tie to fix. Wish I would have done that a couple of years ago too. Both broke on mine about the same time. Also [MENTION=134770]BigRondo[/MENTION] also posted a very helpful document that showed vacuum lines for single and dual zone climate control. Climate Control System troubleshooting from the shop manual. You might want to check out this post too.

Thank you. Hopefully I can to it by this weekend. I appreciate your help

Do i have to remove the wiper to get the passenger side cowl off?

Also how do I clean my evap core?

Do i have to remove the wiper to get the passenger side cowl off?

Also how do I clean my evap core?

Yes, on removing the wiper arms to remove the whole windshield cowl. Both wiper arms need to come off, but the cowl itself can be split into halves at the middle (if need be) and that's easier to do once it's off the vehicle. Some wiper arms have a small, sliding "lever arm" (look for a small tab sticking out at base of arm) that you rotate outward to release the arm from the rotating knob it attaches to. Pull "up" on wiper arm to remove while holding sliding lever outward. Very simple to do and takes only seconds to remove the arm. Re-installation is reverse of removal.

Not 100% sure on this, but I would think you would have to remove the dashboard to get at the "AC evaporator core" to clean the core tubing and fins out.

For many years my wife argued that the air volume was normal. Although I rarely drove the Explorer, I knew something was afoot. Now that I am home longer than two weeks every 6 months, the air flow is excellent.
Thank You, Curtis.

Questions. I attempted to reinstall the door (working through the motor opening) and was not successful in keeping the door in place. I tried pushing the actuator in while holding the door in place but did not work - the male side of the door was in. I felt with my hand the actions of the actuator while manipulating the AC controla and it seems that at times it is completely retracted back out of the air box.
Am I missing something, or the actuator is shot?

I also taped shut the fresh air grill in the air box - instead of the windshield area outside.
Is the airbox the only place for fresh air to come in for the whole system, or just for the AC?
During normal operation, under what conditions, besides MAX AC, fresh air is excluded?

Regards

Question when removing the side cowl grill. I have a 04 Explorer XLT, it doesn't seem to me that the cowl grill is 2 pieces (driver and passenger). It looks like it's all one long piece that goes from one end to another

Ok. I just finished the job. It is much better but so the other vents ever blow as hard as the one under the radio?

I feel the vents in the front on each side and the back don't blow as hard as the ones under the radio, is that normal?

I am still lost, I got the passenger cowl off, but there was nothing there at all. Where is this outside vent located? I already removed the fallen door, but the AC temp increased since it's over 100F outside.

I just did the second half of this fix earlier today. The outside vent is a small scoop inside the metal cowl duct, it's only visible if you remove the cover that is partially glued in place. One member stated that his cowl was never punched out by the factory, but I can't imagine that is a very common occurrence. I covered my scoop/duct with metal duct tape, and it has helped a bit. I will likely redo it with the foam sealant for a better seal, and I think I need to charge the AC some as well.

Question: Because of the door falling, I was not able to find out that the vents do not change position when the selector is changed. Does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum lines for an 04 XLT? None of the lines are pinched, but something is off somewhere if it won't change vents.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I. One member stated that his cowl was never punched out by the factory, but I can't imagine that is a very common occurrence.

Question: Because of the door falling, I was not able to find out that the vents do not change position when the selector is changed. Does anyone have a diagram of the vacuum lines for an 04 XLT? None of the lines are pinched, but something is off somewhere if it won't change vents.

I don't know how common it is for other Explorer owners not having their outside air recirculation door vent, under the passenger side, windshield cowl punched out by the factory, but mine is not. In the link I provided, look at post #15 and then the first two pics in that post. You'll see the under the cowl vent opening in those pics, not mine though. If I get around to it and feel like removing my cowl again this summer (just re-painted it 2 weeks ago), I'll take a picture of mine and post it in here. I would have done it before but I didn't think it was a problem for anyone else but me. It's really not a problem for me and I could always cut it out myself.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377401

On the vacuum line diagram, see forum Moderator "Bigrondo", fairly certain he has the vacuum line schematic for our Explorers.

Edit: Here is the photo of my missing outer air recirc door intake that was never cut out on my Explorer. The pic view is from the under side of the passenger side windshield cowl cover. There is a riveted, rounded plastic cover over the fresh air intake opening and I have no idea who put that there. Possibly one of the two previous owners or a drunk Ford factory line worker?

003_zpsce408f6a.jpg

Back