Collapsed steering column | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Collapsed steering column

gorp00

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
My 97 XLT was in an accident that caused air bag deployment and the steering column to be pushed about 2-3 inches forward. The steering linkage and stalk switches still work as does ignition and the tilt function. But the shift linkage does not. Does the column have a crushable section? I've seen used steering columns on line and was thinking this might be the way to go. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me ask this another way. Since the steering column got pushed into the dash (up to the shifter) I'm guessing there's a collapsing/telescoping section. Does a replacement column include this section so that I can just swap them? BTW-Everything still works and the truck runs and steers ok. Only the shift linkage is broken.

Does anyone know how to remove the upper steering shaft from the steering column?

The whole column is a replaceable unit. If you had that hard of an impact to compress something in that, I'd prefer to replace the whole column. If you could figure out what is damaged, it would take more labor to fix. The column would still need to come out to work on it, and then you add labor to repair it, plus the fact that the shift linkage is a weak link(they wear out with higher mileage).

Since you have to take the column out, I'd get any decent used 95-97 model, and also replace the shift linkage components. Those cost under $50 new from Ford sources. I'm not sure if you could use a 98-01 column, I think so but I'm not positive. Changes for 1998 were mostly wiring in that area, the multi-function switch changed but it may not make a difference.

The whole column is a replaceable unit. If you had that hard of an impact to compress something in that, I'd prefer to replace the whole column. If you could figure out what is damaged, it would take more labor to fix. The column would still need to come out to work on it, and then you add labor to repair it, plus the fact that the shift linkage is a weak link(they wear out with higher mileage).

Since you have to take the column out, I'd get any decent used 95-97 model, and also replace the shift linkage components. Those cost under $50 new from Ford sources. I'm not sure if you could use a 98-01 column, I think so but I'm not positive. Changes for 1998 were mostly wiring in that area, the multi-function switch changed but it may not make a difference.

Don, thanks for the reply and the advice. After a lot of investigation we found that what actually happened was that the rear mounting bracket for the column got deformed from impact. We didn't realize it because the bends in the bracket were so symmetrical they looked correct! After straightening that out the column went in correctly. I checked the shift linkage and all seems well but I'll keep an eye on everything.

One problem though, the intermediate shaft was sliding in and out then suddenly it is no longer moving and is about 1 1/2" short. No one did anything to it, it just seems to have frozen on its own. Bizarre. Anyway, a new cruise control switch kit and shifter cable are on the way. Looking forward to seeing how he drives. It was a bad accident and there are other things to fix but, hey, That's my Truck, man. :hammer:

Rick

Great Rick, I'm glad you are okay, and the truck sounds fixable.

The intermediate shaft is also relatively easy to replace, that one should be any 95-01, plus other Fords of similar length. I have a 2003 Marauder column that looks about the same length as the Explorers, and it's the same basic version as 94-04 Mustangs;it's going into my 92 Lincoln. Lots of parts can swap between vehicles, but only we can do the hard part of learning what will and won't. Keep at it.

I think I need a lower steering shaft. Some call it an intermediate shaft, it's the one that connects to the rack. The shaft in the steering column seems notchy when turned but other wise ok. The next shaft, through the fire wall, seems fine and extends the full length (about 2 1/2 - 3 in.). But the shaft assembly is still to short to hook up to the steering column by about an inch. The column mounts in the right place so my guess is that the shaft bottom shaft collapsed. Also, I cannot telescope that lowest shaft.

CDW6212R mentioned that 95-01 Xs use the same shaft but I'm not sure, because of the different names, what shaft it is. Is the shaft that goes into the rack the same for 95-01 explorers and, please, what is the correct name?

thanks
Rick 97 XLT

That sounds like the lower shaft took the impact and is damaged. If that's where the issue is, replacing it will be troublesome, but finding one shouldn't be bad.

The lower shaft(into rack) will interchange between any 95-01, but the middle and column I'm not positive about. I think they will also, and I'd get the first nice one I could find. Those(column and intermediate) shouldn't become worn out over the life of the vehicle, Any one should be fine, they aren't wear parts.

They will be called a steering shaft and you will need to verify by a picture.

thanks Don! Knowing that they are the same part opens up many more locations from which to purchase. There are many other issues to address but getting moving again is the top. Once that's done I can get into my garage. It's against the association rules to work on cars in the driveway around here. I've been lucky so far. Thanks again

Rick

I hope you can get it fixed and driving again soon. It's easier to fix a vehicle that is basically driveable, than one that doesn't and has many issues.

BTW, to be sure, you know there are three steering shafts yes? The main column shaft is the upper/column shaft. The lower is the one at the rack, and the middle one going through the firewall is the intermediate shaft. I say it because olde Fords only had two shafts, the column shaft went through the firewall all the way to the lower shaft. Since the mid 90's I think all Fords have the intermediate shaft and a short column assembly. Below is my 91 Lincoln column, it was one of the first Fords to begin using an intermediate shaft.

1991 column and both steering shafts.JPG

Based on your post I'd say that I need the lower shaft. I do have 3: the shaft in the column, with a u-joint for the tilt wheel. This is attached to a fairly short shaft that has a u-joint that the column shaft bolts to, goes through the firewall and has a short sliding section and ends as a square bar with a bolt hole in it. Finally, the lowest shaft bolts to the previous shaft, appears to have a telescoping section in the middle and attaches to the rack.

I can find nothing wrong with the first 2 shafts, starting at the steering wheel but the shaft to the rack will not telescope and, of course, is quite rusted. Like you, I believe that this shaft absorbed the brunt of the impact, collapsed into itself and is now jammed. So, I need the lower of the 3 shafts in the newer setup. In order to remove this shaft I must unbolt the top from the middle shaft ( a through-bolt) and then remove the pinch bolt at the steering rack. Will another year's (95-01) lowest shaft work in my '97?

There's a picture of the shaft I need here:
Loose Steering??
It's the pictures in post 11 (Turdle). I really appreciate it if you could please take a look and let me know if this is the shaft that's interchangeable.

Rick

That will work, yes, I even have an older 95-97 shaft for mine I bought to test fitment of manifold with. They have been swapped before, you found some of those postings about it. I'm going to be fabricating a manifold set, and the older shaft takes up a little less space around the manifold area.

Don, thanks for all your help. I'll be buying one ASAP.

Best
Rick

Back