Dismiss Notice

and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Column gear shifter/stuck in PARK

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by ****************, December 4, 2010.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ****************

I have a 1996 ford ranger 4x4 and for the last month my column shifter has felt a bit sloppy and also when I put it in park and then get back in my truck to go some place else it won't shift out of park BUT after a couple tries of turning the key and removing my foot from brake and back again it always would shift out of parking gear and off I would go but today was a different story,as I was getting back in my truck after going to the store I could NOT get it out of park for like 5 minutes FINALLY it shifted out of park and I put it in drive and went home.

I have decided from now on to put it in neutral,turn it off and put on my emergency brake and lock it up when I am not in it, so the obvious question is what in the hell is going on???

Are there any write up's about this exact issue with other people experiencing this problem and what was the fix?

THANKS!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Tbars4

Tbars4 Offroad/Fitness Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      Year and Model:
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ....:scratch:....I'm not sure you will get many responses or people will take you seriously due to your log in name and not having a location under your name...:(

...If you use the search function at the bottom of the menu bar I'm sure you will turn up something...

...You might contact Rick the admin here and see if you can do a name change...;)

4. ****************

Hmmmmmmm, I like my screen name ( it's different ) but I did solve my problem today!!:thumbsup:

I had a good look at the brake switch today and one of the two wires was almost broken in half so I just spliced it and now my cruise works when taping the brake and I don't get stuck in parking gear anymore.Also I had two bolts that were loose and that fixed my sloppy shifter,feels brand new now!!

5. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Zero dollar repairs are the best!
      So, welcome to the forum, where you from?

6. ****************

Kansas

7. frank dougert

frank dougert New Member

City, State:
      BRUNVILLES MN
      Year and Model:
      1996 ford ranger xl
      i have a gear shift stuck in park,there is some kind of cylinder loose on the cable that i can move to release it from park but have no clue what it is help!!! please.

8. McCormack

McCormack Active Member

City, State:
      S.E. WI
      Year and Model:
      2000 Ranger
      On my '00 automatic a bolt came loose on the shifter linkage under the dash, and the shifting action was so sloppy that it got to the point that I couldn't shift down into low. Don't they tighten those things at the factory?!

It was a bear to get under there and tighten the bolt, but once I snugged it up everything was normal again.