Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Combined Recalls for 2011 - 2019 Explorer models

They replaced mine. Didn't have any problems before. Now it's leaking. Brought it in to have them fix the leak. It only leaks when it's above 1/2 a tank. They told me it should be under a 1/4 tank so they could work on it. All the tech did was look for signs of leakage and smell gas. He said none were present so he didn't bother to drop the tank. I also wanted the iphone smart starter installed. They quoted me 560 installed. Then phoned me to say they needed another part to make it work. Price to install the remote smart start is now $998.00. They also broke a hinge on my glove box while trying to install it. Didn't tell me when I picked the vehicle up. They did phone a couple of days later to tell me they broke it and ordered a new glove box.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

UPDATE

I wrote earlier about a gasoline smell coming in through the air vents. Turns out after taking it to a second dealership (Craig Riley's in Unionville, ON is actually the worst place I've ever been to, it is like talking to a brick wall) it was a loose fuel injector line. The tech said it literally just needed another couple turns.

Bill Houston Ford in Stouffville, ON are legit. Great people even better service.

Smell is gone !

UPDATE

I wrote earlier about a gasoline smell coming in through the air vents. Turns out after taking it to a second dealership (Craig Riley's in Unionville, ON is actually the worst place I've ever been to, it is like talking to a brick wall) it was a loose fuel injector line. The tech said it literally just needed another couple turns.

Bill Houston Ford in Stouffville, ON are legit. Great people even better service.

Smell is gone !
Why not give them a mention in the Great Dealerships thread in the 'sticky' area?

Peter

Okay, I thought that I would share this with some of you in case you are still having issues after the recall has been done.

My wife bought a 2013 Explorer XLT back in Janurary of 2013. After having it in for a routine mantainance, it was determined that this recall was required. Our vehicle never had the smell, but with a recall, it is not an option. Well, after having the recall done a month or two later, we started having the fuel smell. It was only present when the temps outside reached 35°F or below. So I called the dealer and took it back in. They could not deterine the smell, nor the source.

This went on for a couple of months, and another trip to the dealer and finally after the 3rd time of it being at the dealer and them not resolving the problem, I PM'ed FordService on there and they escalated the issue with the dealership. The dealership ended up keeping the Explorer over a week, and still had not found the source of the smell, they decided to replace the O-Ring gasket that is on the top of the fuel tank. We have been driving it for now for several weeks with no smell at all.

Hope this helps some others if they are still issues finding the smell.

Regards,
mach1mustangman

Just read the posts here ..... :) ... the recall was done on my 2013 explorer saturday .. today is thursday and and the smell of gas inside and outside the vehicle is BAD !! .... Im taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, so ill keep you updated ... i WILL mention the O-ring Gasket mach1mustangman !! :) (hopefully this wont turn into a month after month drama !! )

...Im taking it back to the dealer tomorrow, so ill keep you updated...

Definitely keep us posted, Lethal-Wombat, and don't hesitate to contact me if you'd like me to explore ways to help. When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.

Crystal

Thanks Crystal ...... unfortunately they couldnt find the leak/smell and have kept the vehicle saying it seems to be an "evap leak somewhere" ....

The only issue i have is .. i bought a gorgeous brand new 2013 explorer and have been given a LIME-GREEN Ford Fiesta as a rental (which i still have to pay $50.00) which is kinda hard with 2 kids and 2 grand-kids to get around in ... :eek:

(mind you, the embarrassment factor for my 12 and 17 yr old is "priceless" ... bwahahahaahahahahaha)

Ill keep you updated ...

Tracey

Well, I am worried. I too picked up my 2013 explorer xlt from the dealer today and noticed a few things. The inside cabin smelled really bad of Gas. My wife uses this car, she is 5 months pregnant and i am very concerned.
The dealer is a short drive to my home but because I was asked to keep gas on low, I stopped to fill up on my way home so my wife can take the car to work in the morning.
As soon as I walked around the car to pump the gas, I noticed a wet spot under the car which suggests there is a leak. I also noticed that my gas door squeaks while in the process of opening. This has never happened before.
I called my dealer when I got home. I was told that service dept was gone for the day. I asked the gentleman to make a note of my call. While I had him on the phone, I walked to my driveway to check for leaks. There were evidence of spilled my driveway. ( took picture) Unfortunately, the gentlemen could not tell me if it's common to see residual gas after the replacement part. Basically, I was told that I would get a call back from service .
To be quite honest, I am disappointed, I am not happy with this dealer this evening. As a matter of fact, I am beginning to feel like customer satisfaction no longer exists, loyalty is a thing of the past. This is very disappointing.
The extent of my involvement on this particular issue has been very inadequate. Here's the pitch I had during a routine maintenance service visit. "There's a recall on that vehicle and we are beginning to see problems with the fuel tank it's beginning to shutdown on people; so, you should get it fixed."
I thought that ford service could have done a better job explaining what was done to the car and what I should expect, after all, can we trust anyone? To make matters worse, I asked service to take a look at one of my keys. Buttons does not work. But the key Manually unlocks and start the car.
At time of pickup, I was told it is shot and I was quoted $250 for a new one? I then referenced this forum and stated that some has reported it loses programming from time to time. It was recommended to bring key to dealer to reprogram. This was his response, " well, you can reprogram it yourself. Turn the ignition on and off 8 times and the locks will pop up but your other key will also lose programming." My head began to spin, I left.

Crystal, I hope you get a chance to read this, I'd love to do a follow up with you regarding this issue. I hope I am able to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. I will post an update. Thanks for reading.

...Crystal, I hope you get a chance to read this, I'd love to do a follow up with you regarding this issue. I hope I am able to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. I will post an update. Thanks for reading.

Sure thing, CTexplorer. Send me your info in a PM so I can look into this. I'll need your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

I picked up my Explorer on Tuesday morning .... after being told there was an "evap leak" it ended up being
"FUEL PUMP GASKET HAD DENTS AND GAPS IN IT - REPLACED" .... this is exactly inline with what "mach1mustangman" had said .. :)

There is still a faint smell of gas in the car, which im attributing to residue, but if its not gone by thursday, i will take it in again !!

All in all, i have to say my dealing with Sheehy Ford, Gaithersburg, MD was pretty good but Crystal, maybe a memo could be sent to dealers about the concern of the fuel odor, so along with the fuel module replacement, they also replace this gasket ... just an idea .. :) :)

Tracey

2013 Recall work done wrong?

Hello all,

New here, sorry! So I had this recall work done on my Explorer on Friday. Went to gas up my vehicle (as the tank was empty per their request) and as I am gassing it up, fuel is pouring (not dripping) from around the gas tank under my hot vehicle, with my kid inside...

Needless to say I am pretty angry. They have it back in the shop. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers!

Hello all,

New here, sorry! So I had this recall work done on my Explorer on Friday. Went to gas up my vehicle (as the tank was empty per their request) and as I am gassing it up, fuel is pouring (not dripping) from around the gas tank under my hot vehicle, with my kid inside...

Needless to say I am pretty angry. They have it back in the shop. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers!
Welcome to the Forum Jman13.:wavey:
Although I'm not positive, I thought the work is done at the top of the tank. If that is the case, I wonder why the fuel would start pouring out as soon as you begin to fill it. I believe that a few others have also noticed this issue. I wonder if all the connections were tightened when the tank was re-installed?

Peter

Hello all,

Cheers!

Hi Jman13,

Any news on the diagnosis? Please send me more details and I'll see if there's anything I can do! :)

Bianca

They fixed it, well I think they have. I need to actually fill up the tank all the way to be sure.

Apparently it was a defective seal of some kind when they did the work. Not being a full on gear head (well, not mechanically, but I love cars!), I couldn't name the part in question.

What this raised for me though was the fact that until you fill up the tank again after this procedure, you won't know if it is done properly.

More context from my experience to help address Peterk9's comment, it was only after I had filled the tank for a little bit that it started gushing out. From the way it looked, it appeared as though the gas was leaking from the top of the tank as it was pouring over all the sides. It only did this for a bit after I stopped pumping gas which seemed to indicate to me that either the pressure from the pump had dropped off or level had dropped enough for the spilling to stop. However, the tank was no where near full when this would have happened (1/3 full max!)

The service manager apologized, and they had cleaned my car nicely. However, this was my very first service appointment with my Ford Explorer and to have it go this wrong was not ok (as a previous Honda owner, having gone through many service appointments and recalls w/out issue this was a bummer...).

I am planning to write to Ford Canada to express my concerns over the incident (that much gas (several liters), with a hot engine, not to mention my kid being in the car = danger).

Thanks for your replies!

Hey all, I just purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited on Monday. When we left the dealership I realized they only left me with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I thought that was weird considering dealers have always filled my cars up with gas. When I got home after filling it up I noticed a pretty strong smell of gas. I did a little bit of reading and assumed its because I was in the habit of topping my tank off and it looks like that's a no no with the easy fill no cap system. Anyway, it still smells today, not as strong but it's enough to fill my garage with smelly gas. I checked to see if mine was recalled but it didn't show up. Is there a chance that I'm seeing the same problem but, for some reason, my car isn't showing up as recalled? I'm planning on calling the dealer in the morning... This definitely isn't something you want to deal with when you just purchase a car.

Hey all, I just purchased a 2013 Explorer Limited on Monday. When we left the dealership I realized they only left me with less than 1/4 tank of gas. I thought that was weird considering dealers have always filled my cars up with gas. When I got home after filling it up I noticed a pretty strong smell of gas. I did a little bit of reading and assumed its because I was in the habit of topping my tank off and it looks like that's a no no with the easy fill no cap system. Anyway, it still smells today, not as strong but it's enough to fill my garage with smelly gas. I checked to see if mine was recalled but it didn't show up. Is there a chance that I'm seeing the same problem but, for some reason, my car isn't showing up as recalled? I'm planning on calling the dealer in the morning... This definitely isn't something you want to deal with when you just purchase a car.
Welcome to the Forum iamcgn.:wavey:
Any chance that when you filled it up that there was some spillage? Perhaps it is just the residual smell that you notice. If it isn't leaking the smell may go away in a day or so. If not, then you should contact the dealer.
It would also be helpful if you added the model (Limited) to your profile so it always show in the left margin.

Peter

.. I'm planning on calling the dealer in the morning...

Getting your dealership involved is the best next step, iamcgn. I'm happy to get your regional customer service manager involved as well. To get the ball rolling, PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Starting issues after recall

I'm having starting issues after the recall. Taken it back to the dealer twice now and they cannot duplicate the problem. Been happening since January. Only happens on a cold start. RPM gauge bucks to the point where the engine almost stalls, then recovers and sometimes hear a sparking type noise on cold starts. Additionally, sometimes when the vehicle starts it sounds like its flooded or has trouble starting with long cranking. Last visit to the dealer, the Service Manager could not find any error codes and could not duplicate the issue. I don't drive this vehicle alot and was told it may be because the computer needs to determine what type of gas is in the tank. And that I need to drive my vehicle at least 10 miles after each fillup because its a flex fuel vehicle. He also said to try Premium gas to see if that remedies the issue. Why would i need to put 89 or 92 octane in a vehicle that is supossed to accept E-85? Also, I should be able to drive 1,000 miles a year and not have to worry about this. My mother drives 3,000 miles a year and doesn't have this issue! Amazingly, I never had an issue until the recall was done. I'm having to take off work to go to the dealer because I don't feel safe starting the vehicle. Losing vacation time and having to pay money for rental coverage. Last visit, after the Service Manager said I didn't find any issues, I said "we'll i guess I'll just wait until the engine blows up." Why would I waste time driving out of my way to the dealer if something wasn't wrong. To top it off, no other dealer in the area will offer a loaner or pay for a rental other than this dealer because this is where I bought the vehicle from. At this point, I feel as though I'm duped and not confident that this issue will ever get fixed. 9,000 total miles on this vehicle and extremely frustrated with this purchase. :mad:

I'm having starting issues after the recall. Taken it back to the dealer twice now and they cannot duplicate the problem. Been happening since January. Only happens on a cold start. RPM gauge bucks to the point where the engine almost stalls, then recovers and sometimes hear a sparking type noise on cold starts. Additionally, sometimes when the vehicle starts it sounds like its flooded or has trouble starting with long cranking. Last visit to the dealer, the Service Manager could not find any error codes and could not duplicate the issue. I don't drive this vehicle alot and was told it may be because the computer needs to determine what type of gas is in the tank. And that I need to drive my vehicle at least 10 miles after each fillup because its a flex fuel vehicle. He also said to try Premium gas to see if that remedies the issue. Why would i need to put 89 or 92 octane in a vehicle that is supossed to accept E-85? Also, I should be able to drive 1,000 miles a year and not have to worry about this. My mother drives 3,000 miles a year and doesn't have this issue! Amazingly, I never had an issue until the recall was done. I'm having to take off work to go to the dealer because I don't feel safe starting the vehicle. Losing vacation time and having to pay money for rental coverage. Last visit, after the Service Manager said I didn't find any issues, I said "we'll i guess I'll just wait until the engine blows up." Why would I waste time driving out of my way to the dealer if something wasn't wrong. To top it off, no other dealer in the area will offer a loaner or pay for a rental other than this dealer because this is where I bought the vehicle from. At this point, I feel as though I'm duped and not confident that this issue will ever get fixed. 9,000 total miles on this vehicle and extremely frustrated with this purchase. :mad:
Welcome to the Forum dlt0028.:wavey:
It would be helpful for the members if you added the model of your Explorer to your profile since not all models are the same or possibly subject to the same issues. If you have the Sport, then possibly the premium gas may help but it should run fine on regular gasoline. As for using E85, I don't think many of the members are using that. There are enough complaints about poor mileage figures and I think E85 would only contribute more to those complaints. If this only started after the recall was done then it would seem obvious to me that the two must be related somehow.
As for supplying a loaner, Ford is not obligated to supply one as indicated in the Warranty Guide. If a dealer does give you one, it is at their expense.
I suggest that you send a private message to Crystal (FordService), the Ford rep who monitors this forum. She can help by getting in touch with the regional customer service manage. You can contact her using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel Smell

Well, my Sport, too, has become one of the smelly. We made the mistake of having the fuel module recall work done and now every time we fill it up we have a terrible gasoline smell outside of the vehicle until the fuel tank is less than half.

Sheehy in Gaithersburg has tried on multiple attempts to fix this. They've gone from saying it was residual fuel from the service work and we should just drive around (especially in the rain) so it will go away. Then they replaced a valve around the filler. Still no help.

I can't park this thing in my garage because of the smell seeping into the house and emanating throughout. We're starting to get dizzy around here...
http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/eh/chemfs/fs/gasoline.htm

Anyone have any luck yet with theirs and know what the problem is? I'm hesitant to take it back to the dealer since its a bit of a drive and they give me a compact loaner every time. I didn't buy a $50K SUV to drive a $10K compact car...

I think I will give this dealer one more shot. Then I'm going to have to take it somewhere with mechanics more experienced. Seems like fuel leaks are a serious problem. Fire and vapor hazards... Not to mention I spent more time in a compact loaner car the last month than I have my Sport. Too bad its not in the first year. But maybe if loss of vehicle usage is a direct result of dealer error there is something there? I'll also probably consult a lawyer.

:mad:

Back