Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

complete XLT interior fitting. Is it Possible?

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU' started by wigid, December 11, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wigid

wigid New Member

City, State:
      Nashville TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 police explorer
      So I have a 2016 PIU which is pretty much standard.
      I do have access to a damaged 2016 explorer XLT with leather and would like to change the entire interior (seats, carpet, dash, console, radio, wiring, door cards, sifter etc).
      My question is how hard would it be to get this to work. I understand the BCM would need to be programed, but what else would need to be done? Has anyone else attempted such a task?
      I did read that someone changed the seats and the electrical connection was very different. But if the whole interior loom was replaced then wouldn't that fix this problem?
      I am new to the ford explorer, but did do something similar to my old 2012 Caprice fitting a full Pontiac G8 interior.
      any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: December 11, 2017
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. FutureOwner

FutureOwner New Member

City, State:
      Panama City Florida
      2011 Audi S4
      I’m just beginning to take on this task and there is another member on here who will probably chime in. He is far more along and has accomplished a lot. I will tel you it’s possible. And I saw the same thing about harness being different. But this other guy says they are not different and he has done it.

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      That is going to be one big project. Good luck and don't forget to take pictures.

P

• Like Like x 1
    5. Kikinz24

Kikinz24 Active Member

City, State:
      Youngstown, ohio
      2015 Explorer base
      I'm here to chime in! Lol. I'm not sure how different they are for a 2016. As for harness and plugs being the same. And it's not as simple of a task to just switch the harness. It's the entire vehicles body harness... ... As for a 13 to 15 . The plugs are the same. The drivers one Will plug right in. Only option that you need to wire separately will be the heated seats. Passenger was the same plug just had to add the power to the seat. I used one of the aux power from the 8 pin plug in the center console area (it is unused). And same for pass seat you will need to wire the heated seat separately. Rear seats will bolt right in. You will need the latch brackets for the 2nd and 3rd row seats. The piu 2nd row is bolted directly to the floor and cannot flip forward. .. there are 4 brackets for the 2nd row. And 2 brackets for the 3rd row. There are also 2 flip brackets for the 3rd row covers. It's actually not hard to do. Just time consuming. Carpet lays right in. You will also need the spare tire from the xlt the carpet that surrounds the spare and the cover for it. . Also grab the 3rd row seat belts more than likely yours doesn't have them in it. Any other questions you can pm me

• Like Like x 1
    6. wigid

wigid New Member

City, State:
      Nashville TN
      2016 police explorer
    7. Kikinz24

Kikinz24 Active Member

City, State:
      Youngstown, ohio
      2015 Explorer base
      Seats carpet console are easy. Dash and radio are a completely different story I spent about 3 months on 2 different vehicles first my wife's 2015 base and then about a month on my 2015 interceptor. With absolutely no luck whatsoever and I literally swapped the entire dash out harnesses and all.. I got the radio to function properly but none of the hvac would work . At all. I tried changing codes in the modules and bcm with still no luck. I eventually gave up on the radio and plan to sell my apim and screen and just buy the aftermarket android plug and play setup.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    8. Lightn95

Lightn95 New Member

2013 PIU
      If you don't mind saying...what did you pay for the donor vehicle?

9. Kikinz24

Kikinz24 Active Member

City, State:
      Youngstown, ohio
      2015 Explorer base
      I gave $1300 for it i bought it from a shop. They used the doors already and the drivetrain. So I ended up with a complete shell with the interior. In tact. I used the cradle right upper and lower rail. Left quarter panel, Front end sheet metal and wheels for 1 car . Interior and misc items for my current one. Still have the bare shell and suspension left. I've been looking for one hit passenger rear quarter. Or roof. And I still have the left upper and lower frame rail