Connecting AA to Sync3 troubleshooting/FAQ post? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Connecting AA to Sync3 troubleshooting/FAQ post?

craigb_MA

Reaction score
City, State
Metro west, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I'm having the worst time trying to connect AA to Sync3 (No Apps Found). Have tried BT and USB connections, same result. I gotta imagine there is an existing post(s) that have some troubleshooting tips?

For example, when I plug in a computer-controlled USB into my android, on the Android there is the notification bar setting that allows you to select which type of connection you want to enable (Charging only, Midi, File Sharing, Software Install, etc.). If I want to play media stored on my Android not over BT, I have to put it into File Sharing mode or Midi mode. What mode is required to connect AA over USB since most threads indicate this wont work over BT?

On your phone , start up Android auto and do the initial set up.

Once you are done with that ... You will need to connect via USB as Bluetooth isn't supported at the moment.

What phone are you using? Try swapping out the cable as mine has issues with the cable.

On your phone , start up Android auto and do the initial set up.

Once you are done with that ... You will need to connect via USB as Bluetooth isn't supported at the moment.

What phone are you using? Try swapping out the cable as mine has issues with the cable.

AA is installed & configured, if there is something specific in the configuration that needs to be set up, please let me know. I did an "Update All AA Apps" to add Waze, update GMaps, etc.

WHen I plug my Android (Motorola Turbo) in via USB, I get the "<device name> Connected" just like w/o AA, appears in Sources (both BT and via USB), so I think the cable is fine. I know what you mean about finicky cables, but if the cable was bad it wouldnt show up/sync as a USB-Connected device. But other than the initial Connected message, nothing else happens.

If I got into Sync-->Settings--> Mobile Applications, it shows my Android Device, but if I touch the device on the Sync screen to connect it, after a few seconds I get the "No Apps Found" message. Also when that happens, usually my device stops working for all BT features. For example, if I try and connect via BT Audio, it will say "Device not responding". At that point, I have to turn the car off, wait several minutes, then turn it back on before BT will successfully connect again to do things like streaming audio.

AA is installed & configured, if there is something specific in the configuration that needs to be set up, please let me know. I did an "Update All AA Apps" to add Waze, update GMaps, etc.

WHen I plug my Android (Motorola Turbo) in via USB, I get the "<device name> Connected" just like w/o AA, appears in Sources (both BT and via USB), so I think the cable is fine. I know what you mean about finicky cables, but if the cable was bad it wouldnt show up/sync as a USB-Connected device. But other than the initial Connected message, nothing else happens.

If I got into Sync-->Settings--> Mobile Applications, it shows my Android Device, but if I touch the device on the Sync screen to connect it, after a few seconds I get the "No Apps Found" message. Also when that happens, usually my device stops working for all BT features. For example, if I try and connect via BT Audio, it will say "Device not responding". At that point, I have to turn the car off, wait several minutes, then turn it back on before BT will successfully connect again to do things like streaming audio.

I don't think mobile apps will work like that as there is supposed to be an option to get into AA and then your compatible apps will show up.

Make sure you go into settings -> android auto preferences -> enable android auto

Plug in your phone in via USB to the USB port under the headunit (next to lighter port)...I'm not sure if center console USB works for AA or not.

Make sure you are doing this while in park, you might have to complete the initial setup on the headunit and/or phone if this is the first time it is working.

Next in Sync 3, you should have an "Android Auto" button between "MAPS" and "SETTINGS" which you use to access AA.

Take a look at this video:
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...auto.html?year=2017&model=Explorer&sync=sync3

You can see the button I'm talking about at 1:58

What phone are you using and what version of android do you have?

You can try this:

1. Go to settings -> about phone -> build number
2. Tap it repeatedly (might take 5-7 taps, you'll).
3. Go back to settings and go to developer settings
4. Enable USB Debugging
5. Try plugging it into the usb port and and trying using AA again

Back