How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Cool, I just didn't want to start repeating the same information. The trans lengths were the reason the donor trucks had different driveshafts, this thread just didn't try to explain that. It's simple enough to just go by the engine, which determines which trans went with it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tcase is in, rear driveshaft in, just need some linkage pieces, a conversion joint for the front and done. While I was at it I did a TT and shackles and currently have all the body mounts loose for a 2" lift. Just need to go get longer bolts.

Didn't notice a power increase, but that might be due to the fact I changed from awd to 2wd in the same work session as going from 235's to 33's. Pulled it into the garage bone stock. Pulled it out of garage with the 4406, shackles/TT, 2" BL and 33x12.50 duratracs. Exhaust is next.

I am buying another 4406 tonight for the wifes 98 5.0L. Get to do it all over again.

can you guys confirm that a 4406 from either a 4.6 or a 5.4 will work? is it just the front shaft that needs to be from a 5.4?

thanks

Si

My 4406 came off a 5.4L 4R100 trans'd f150.

The tcase is the same, but the shifter for the transfer case is different (how it bolts up to the trans).

Front shaft needs to be from a 4.6L truck, rear shaft from a 5.4L expedition.

ok, well, I need to go down the elec shift route.. .so I'm probably best off getting one from a 4.6 then with shaft....

thanks guys

Si

Just finished this swap. Wow, feels great. I also did the TT and Shackles at the same time.

Some notes I had:
1. Its easier to bend the fuel tank bracket in place, then take it out (There is no way in hell to get the tcase in with the fuel tank in place!!!). I used a crescent wrench and a big pipe over the handle of the crescent wrench. Clamped the wrench on the edge of the bracket and used the pipe for leverage to bend it right over.
2. I love the quote "Just put it on the shaft".... yea.. that thing weighs a ton!!!
3. I used a ratchet strap to pull my exhaust to the side while I was installing. It helped with clearance.
4. You may want to swap the speed sensors with your old AWD case before installing, as they might have different gears (My speedo is off over 10mph). I'm swapping them on monday.

I unfortunately ended up with a fair amount of vibration out of the front end. Still need to do some tracing to find the source. I put in new u-joints, so I'm hoping its somewhere else.

Good luck to the next guy!!

Even though this is old news I'm subbing so I remember it for possible future projects...

I modified the fuel tank bracket in the truck, and left it there and installed my tcase with the tank in position. I did however ratchet strap the exhaust to the pass frame rail as tight as I could. I did however remove the trans crossmember and trans mount to ease install.

My wifes 98 is next. I already have the case, just need the shifter assm. and drive shafts. She wants hers to look like mine (2" BL, TT and shackles). I might do the body lift first on hers, then the tcase.

so i have looked threw this thread, and can't seem to find (unless i overlooked it) a pic or a good answer to my question. i am doing a 5L swap in my sport. have the motor, trans, and yes, a 4406 will fit. BUT, it looks like the drive shaft comes really close to the tank. i know all of you guys are 4 door's and some have had to cut the plastic on the tank, but has anyone had to dimple the tank as well? or can one of you post a pic of how close the drive shaft comes to the tank please?

Hey Guys! I found another shifter solution!

So, it turns out, you don't need the shifter from the F-150. Any ford shifter that bolts to the extension housing, rather than the transmission itself works. I spent 3 hours crawling through a Transmission scrap yard the other day, doing measurements. I ended up with a shifter out of an 89 Ford 4x4. No idea what actual vehicle, just that it was an 89 Ford trasmission and transfer case, with manual shift. I fabbed a shift handle out of an old wrench.

Hope this helps some guys who are having trouble finding shift linkages!!!!

WP_000272.jpg

Hey all just thought i'd mention another solution for a front driveshaft
I found that using a 91-92 Explorer double cardan front shaft with a
Precision Universal Joint Part # 627. The front driveshaft fits PERFECT!!! I got the flange from my local O'Reily auto parts for $70 and the front shaft for $25 from a local wrecker.

Hope this helps some people.

-Ryan

Just replaced my motor, Next project will be to have a real 4x4 .this is a great write up thanks for all the great information. Than do the SAS swap.

I might have missed it but if I find a 97 or 98 TC with the correct VSS in it do I have to swap any speed gears? I have a 99 TC now and I have found a 97 but don't want to buy it and run into any more issues with the VSS

I might have missed it but if I find a 97 or 98 TC with the correct VSS in it do I have to swap any speed gears? I have a 99 TC now and I have found a 97 but don't want to buy it and run into any more issues with the VSS

You will use your VSS gear in the TC that you find. The VSS is gone from the 98+ Explorers, but it did not change until 1999 for the bigger trucks. So a 98 Expedition etc should have a VSS sensor/gear in it. I have a 98 Navigator TC that has the gear still.

You will use your VSS gear in the TC that you find. The VSS is gone from the 98+ Explorers, but it did not change until 1999 for the bigger trucks. So a 98 Expedition etc should have a VSS sensor/gear in it. I have a 98 Navigator TC that has the gear still.

his question is probably more along the lines of the number of teeth on the VSS gear.

which I imagine would depend on the axle gearing from the "donor" vehicle.

so it would be possible that the VSS gear in the 4406 may make your speedo off.

That's what I was asking about, do I need to change the number of teeth on the gear in the case or just make any needed adjustments to the sensor itself.

A little off topic but has anyone done this swap also done a SAS? I have read some of the SAS threads but I can not find where drive shafts were discussed.

That's what I was asking about, do I need to change the number of teeth on the gear in the case or just make any needed adjustments to the sensor itself.

A little off topic but has anyone done this swap also done a SAS? I have read some of the SAS threads but I can not find where drive shafts were discussed.

The speedometer gear needs to match your rearend gears, so keep the gear you have. They are generally color coded so you shouldn't have to count the teeth.

Got mine 95% done this weekend. Still working on the shifter boot and don't have the front driveshaft in. My Mounty did not have a front driveshaft in it when I bought it. I have to order the clamps and bolts to be able to put it in. I have a question about the front driveshaft, does it matter which end of the shaft goes to the transfer case and which end goes to the front diff?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got mine 95% done this weekend. Still working on the shifter boot and don't have the front driveshaft in. My Mounty did not have a front driveshaft in it when I bought it. I have to order the clamps and bolts to be able to put it in. I have a question about the front driveshaft, does it matter which end of the shaft goes to the transfer case and which end goes to the front diff?

I think the slip joint is typically closer to the front. It shouldn't matter except for clearance I'd think, maybe for off roading you'd want any edges pointing back that could catch an obstacle.

Back