Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Discussion in 'Offroad Drivelines' started by MountaineerGreen, September 17, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 Mounty
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. welle417

welle417 Member

City, State:
      Anchorage
      97' - 5.0 - Mountaineer
      Solved.

The rear shaft being out didn't make a difference. So we pulled the Tcase again today (feel like I'm pretty proficient at it now). We discovered that the shift fork spring was missing. (see attached picture) It's a 14 dollar part from Ford. Ordered it and should be here by Monday at the latest, but for now we put a different spring in there that at least gives me 2WD.

The guy that did the transfer case reassembly was nice enough to spend a number of hours working with me on this and figuring out what went wrong. Simple mistake, big symptom though haha. (I had disassembled it to bring it to AK in checked bags via United Airlines)

For anyone needing case disassembly or reassembly instructions: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3205683&postcount=2

This has factory service manual excerpts, it's not just for wiring- it has everything!

Next problem... i mistakenly thought my VSS was mechanical in this 98 transfer case... it's not... it's electronic but has the same connector type. Any easier conversion than changing the tail housing?

Attached Files:

4. welle417

welle417 Member

City, State:
      Anchorage
      97' - 5.0 - Mountaineer
      VSS woes

I still cant figure out how the signal is different from the gear driven speedo and the magnetic sensor. They both are electronic after about 2 inches outside the TCase and they both have the same plug, as well as the same number of prongs (2). So my guess being that I have a 98 TCase and it was changed from the gear to the sensor about halfway through the factory year, that the gauge cluster wouldn't have changed with it - it must be an ohms thing or the wires were reversed maybe... Why so complicated FORD... CMON

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I'm confused about that too. I thought the PCM's until 1998 would all take the VSS from the tail housing, whether from a 4R70W, a manual trans, or an AOD etc.

I'd search or ask on the SCCOA forum, trans swaps are common subjects there, plus trans experts regularly post in those threads. Regards,

6. welle417

welle417 Member

City, State:
      Anchorage
      97' - 5.0 - Mountaineer
      yeah

SO i went to Ford today and talked to the shop Foreman. HE said that although there probably is a way to convert via wiring, he is pretty certain the change over is simply software modifications to make it work. He did a bit of research but didn't come up with anything major. HE was nice enough at least to make sure i knew that i could get a tail housing from any 97 F-150, Expedtion/Navigator whether it was Manual or Electric.
      Another gentlemen there told me that he recalled some little fragment of knowledge in the back of his mind that the gear driven speedo was DC and the Stator was AC and that the pulses are different regardless - hence the software alteration.

WELL - I got lucky today because after that let down, I paid a visit to my most frequented pull yard. Although they don't have anything really pre-2000 in the yard to pick through, they do have shelved common parts they acquire. I asked if they had any 4406s for a 97 F-150 and he said... yeah we DO have a couple.

Long story short he sold me an entire Electric T-Case fully intact for 325.

I didn't want to spend that after only spending 340 on all the other parts i needed for this build, but at least i can put that E-tcase back together and make it work for a 98 or up vehicle without a problem. I took it out on my trailer tailgate and took off the tailshaft housing, popped the spacer off, slid the gear down, popped the ball free, pulled the rubber bumper off and away I went. Lucky for me this thing was gone through before and I wont have much trouble refurbing it.

Anybody need a 98+ BW4406 Electric??

7. Koldham

Koldham New Member

98 eddie bauer 5.0 AWD
      just read through this whole thread and am unsure of 1 thing. A double cardon rear driveshaft from a 5.4 4x4 expedition WILL work? I dont ever remember seeing a normal 1 piece shaft under any of the trucks i looked at.

8. ahodges

ahodges Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millbury, OH
      1996 XLT - 347 S/C
      I would steer clear of the double carden shaft for the rear. Unless you have a large suspension lift, there isn't enough drive shaft angle to warrant having one. I got a double carden rear from a 5.4 expedition and it was too long anyhow.

9. Koldham

Koldham New Member

98 eddie bauer 5.0 AWD
      It would be too long even from a 4x4 expedition?

10. ahodges

ahodges Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Millbury, OH
      1996 XLT - 347 S/C
      The one I got was.

11. Koldham

Koldham New Member

98 eddie bauer 5.0 AWD
      just got my case in a few minutes ago. my double cardon shaft fits jsut fine with about 1/3 of slip yoke showing at ride height. its close to the gas tank shield but it clears. shaft was pulled from a 99 expedition 4x4.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

part number fro reference. all i could find in my yard were the double cardons.
      [​IMG]

12. rameoller48

rameoller48 New Member

1998 mountaineer
      I can't wait to swap my awd to 4wd manual shift. I am buying this 'neer from my daughter. She bought an 04 v6. I get the 2000 5.0 . I am a huge 5.0 and have had 5.0 'stangs since 1983. I now live in snow climate and will appreciate a 4wd. Heck awd will also be a help just not as desireable.
      See Ya
      Robert

13. wingcmdr

wingcmdr Member

City, State:
      NC
      1997 Mercury Mountaineer
      Congrats, have fun with the mounty

14. traveler

traveler Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Mesa, AZ
      2000 EB Explorer 5.0
      As far as I have read it probably doesn't make a difference whether you use a rear driveshaft from a standard suspension Expedition or an adjustable suspension. But whichever one you do use write down or remember which one. Apparently they are the same length, size, etc. but they use different U-Joints.

these write ups are straight from the O'Reillys website and are for Spicer U-Joints fitting a 2000 5.4 Expedition 4x4.

Rear Driveshaft
      At Transfer Case Or At Rear Axle
      4 Wheel Drive
      With Adjustable Suspension
      Greasable
      Bearing Cap Diameter (In): 1.188 X 1.188 Inch
      Greaseable: Yes
      Length (In): 3.625 X 3.625 Inch
      Snap Ring Type: External
      Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

Rear Driveshaft
      At Transfer Case Or At Rear Axle
      4 Wheel Drive
      Standard Suspension
      Greasable
      Bearing Cap Diameter (In): 1.062 X 1.062 Inch
      Greaseable: Yes
      Length (In): 3.625 X 3.625 Inch
      Snap Ring Type: External
      Quantity Per Vehicle: 2

If this is old news, please feel free to delete the post. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I told the guys at the salvage yard it didn't matter which suspension it was from and now I would like to put some sturdy Spicers in it and don't know which size to get without first pulling the driveshaft, pulling the old u-joints out and measuring them.

15. chilsam61

chilsam61 New Member

City, State:
      cent ill
      98 v8 explorer
      LUV this thread ! I have a 98,when did the VSS come into use ? THANX !

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    16. delexploder

delexploder Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenwood De.
      97 ford explorer sport
      Just to add a little to this thread , my 97 sport with the 5.0 swap now has a functional 4406 electric shift! I just got it done today , gas tank is in stock position , had to trim the front edge maybe 3/16 off the lip , and the front mount got chopped up and redesigned , my friend shortened the rear drive shaft for me and I reinstalled the original v6 GEM , I'll add pics and put this in my build thread for Vader soon as I get elite status again

• Like Like x 3
    17. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Excellent, great project there.

18. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      The VSS is on all of them, but changed locations on models in different years. The Explorers had the VSS on the transmission before 1998, 98 up has it on the rear diff. Bigger Ford trucks have it moved in 1999, the 98 Lincoln transfer case I have has it in it.

19. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      I'm in the middle of installing the BW4406, haven't put the transfer case in place yet, but looking at where the locating pin on the t-case is and the bolt pattern on the back of the transmission, it looks like the transfer case will end up mounting almost vertical, with the front output underneath the transmission instead of to the driver's side. The only mention of the locating pin I've been able to find is in the original post where he says to make sure the pin is there. If I need to I'll remove the pin altogether, but I just find it weird that no one else has had this issue, so I thought I'd mention it. Or maybe my eyes are just deceiving me. I'll report back when I get it installed.

20. delexploder

delexploder Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Greenwood De.
      97 ford explorer sport
      Lol it just looks like that , but I can tell you its best to lift it in place vertically, get it on the shaft then rotate it up until the dowel pin goes in ,

• Like Like x 1
    21. rabbit91

rabbit91 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Surrey
      2000 V8 lifted 33s
      Exactly wht delexploder said, lift in space vertically, then rotate. I ratchet strapped the exhaust over to the passenger side to clear it

22. mounty71

mounty71 It's green, not gray. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Oakland, CA
      '00 Mountaineer
      How easily do your rear driveshafts slip into the back of the transfer case? I've installed mine I think 3 times, and every time it takes like 10 minutes of heavy hitting with a dead blow hammer to get it in. When I had the 2wd transmission and driveshaft it just slid in and out no problem. I haven't driven the truck yet since doing the conversion so maybe the suspension cycling and plunging the driveshaft slip yoke will help loosen things up?

23. Turdle

Turdle I bake stuff Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
    24. CDW6212R

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Yes, something must be buggered with the splines, with the driveshaft splines I'll bet.

25. My91Ranger

My91Ranger New Member

2000 Mercury Mountaineer
      I recently completed this swap on two 2000 Mountaineers and wanted to share a few things I found.

For the front stamped fuel tank bracket that needs to be modified to clear the 4406, there was also a cast iron version that does not need to be modified. It will bolt right in and provide lots of clearance to the 4406. From my junkyard experience, they are harder to find than the stamped brackets.

I was able to install the t-case without modifying the floor boards. By removing the center section of the transmission cross-member and lowering the back of the transmission, I was able to bolt the t-case on then raise it back into position.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    26. Turboeverything

Turboeverything New Member

City, State:
      Wyoming, Mi
      2002 mountaineer premier
      Does anyone know if this would work on a 3rd gen with the single speed awd just like you're replacing here?
      Thank you