How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
so basically as long as it's from a 97-2003 F150, it should have the VSS on it?
any casing #'s, or even Ford part #'s? Although I s'pose the yard should be able to find out for me before I go out there.

Reason I ask is, searching car-part.com, 1 Ford part # shows up and the yard only wants about $250. The other part number, the yards want $600-$800

I need to find out... I'm pretty sure the viscous coupling in my 4404 is shot.

decided to check fluid level, and a nice silvery fluid coming out, along with the red ATF.

edit: searching car-part.com some more... 1997 F150 only shows a manual or electric 4406

1998 shows:
manual shift, ID F85A-7A195-AA
manual shift, ID F75A-7A195-GB
electric shift

1999 shows:
manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AA
manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AB
manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AC
electric shift, ID XL34-7A195-BA
electric shift, ID XL34-7A195-BB
electric shift, ID XL34-7A195-BC

2000-2003:
manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AB
manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AC
electric shift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which type of shifting do you need? For the 97 Explorer you will need a TC from no later than a 98 truck I believe. None of the F150's will have the kind of TOD case that would work with the electric Explorer GEM controls. The manual TC's you could use come from the trucks, the Expedition/Navigator was TOD(electric shift) only.

sorry... forgot to mention.
I'm lookin at using a manual shift, since I don't wanna screw around with GEM's and whatnot.
And being a '97, I would also (prefer) it to have the VSS, versus going the route 410 did, because I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible.
So 97 and possibly 98? Sweet, I'll look into it. Sadly, the cheap one I found was from a '99.

Actually the big difference in price is the manual shift BW4406. I had a hard time finding anything under $250 with TOD. You need an F150 version, and it's good that they used the VSS for another year or so in those. It gives you more to choose from. I'm sure that the 98 Expedition/Navigator had the VSS, I'm not sure when they stopped using it in the pickups. Do watch eBay, I finally found mine for $209 shipped.

Actually the big difference in price is the manual shift BW4406. I had a hard time finding anything under $250 with TOD. You need an F150 version, and it's good that they used the VSS for another year or so in those. It gives you more to choose from. I'm sure that the 98 Expedition/Navigator had the VSS, I'm not sure when they stopped using it in the pickups. Do watch eBay, I finally found mine for $209 shipped.

sadly, I live in Alaska where shipping is outrageous.
So I'm stuck with whatever the yards have, which ain't much.
Only yard with one out of an F150 wants $700.

That's not good, maybe some of the other members in Alaska can find one for you.

I am seriously considering the 4406 swap, my AWD seams to vibrate more than I like. Has anyone had any problems with vibrations with the front axle not being able to disconnect? Sounds like everybody that has done it has really loved it? Thanks for the info

There haven't been any major issues with vibrations after the BW4406 swap. Most have gone with used shafts, and Evan for one did install a double cardon shaft. I had a DC shaft made for mine. Evan said that he had a slight vibration until he made the DC shaft.

Found One!!! :) 2002 F-150 75K $350. Best I can find in Salt Lake City or Las Vegas. I have some friends that own a junkyard up there and they did some real searching, I'm excited!

What is the average price you all have paid for your manual 4406's?

I was at a junkyard this weekend getting a new tail light for my Sport Trac and I took a gander at their transfer cases and found 2 manual 4406's. One of them was still mated to a manual transmission with the linkage still there. When I was paying for my tail light I asked the guy how much for an F150 manual transfer case and he said $500 :eek:

I think I am at a disadvantage being in Houston, because 4x4's are not sold as much this far South or at least in Houston.

I found the manual cases to be cheaper than the TOD versions, $150-$300. On eBay the prices are random, either can be really high or really low. Before eBay the best price for a TOD case was $300 locally(60 miles). I found one on eBay for $100 plus $109 for shipping.

Consider how likely a unit will be bad or not last long before you buy it. You can't really send one back if it is shipped in to you.

Got a manual 2003 BW4406 on eBay by making a "Best Offer" of $170. Picked it up at the same salvage yard when I got my V8 so there was no additional shipping expense.

When I was looking a little over a year ago I saw someplace asking $850:eek::eek:

$500 is nucking futs as well.

I was at a junkyard this weekend getting a new tail light for my Sport Trac and I took a gander at their transfer cases and found 2 manual 4406's. One of them was still mated to a manual transmission with the linkage still there. When I was paying for my tail light I asked the guy how much for an F150 manual transfer case and he said $500 :eek:

I think I am at a disadvantage being in Houston, because 4x4's are not sold as much this far South or at least in Houston.

try being in Alaska :)
all yards are asking $750.
and I cannot count on eBay, because shipping to Alaska would be f'ing outrageous.

I may have found one on Craigslist, but the seller wants to sell the tranny and t-case as a whole for $600. And I have no use for the transmission, nor do I know how easily it would be to sell.

I found some out at a junkyard by my work and this was because I was just looking for the linage for mine, and he was asking $350 for the manual, then like 450 or 500 something like that for the electronic...cant member wasn't really interested in those

I happened to come across one that at a shop that I helped out at so the guy just traded me straight across

I paid $650 with all linkage, front and rear driveshafts, 70k case. One stop shop worth something to me :dunno:

I could deal with that.
but not $750 for just the case, which may or may not have the linkage. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back