1. for access to Ford Explorer and Ranger owner generated reviews and discussion, tech tips, how to articles, off-road modifications, events, and more! Since 1996 we have been the #1 Ford Explorer resource on the Internet. We also cover the Explorer Sport Trac, Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Navigator, Mazda Navajo, Mazda Pickups, and the Aerostar.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Coolant Temp Gauge Not Working

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by DavidB82, December 12, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DavidB82

DavidB82 New Member

Hello, I'm helping a friend fix their 2000 Explorer 4.0L OHV. The problem is that the temperature gauge sits below "C" whether or not the engine is warmed up. So, I searched around on this site and found the location of the Temp Sender (the sensor in near the thermostat with one 1 wire). I did the test of grounding the wire to see if the gauge works and it does. Straight to ground puts it pegged above "H" and putting a 100 ohm resistor in line puts the gauge somewhere in the middle.

So, I figured it must be the sender. I got a new one and put it in. Unfortunately, the needle still sits below "C". I let it warm up some to where the radiator hose was warm and the needle still hadn't moved.

I tested the resistance through the temp sender connector prong to the brass body and got about 2500 ohms. Given that 100 ohms put the needle in the middle I was wondering if the new temp sender might be bad? Does anyone have a chart/table of the resistance of the temp sender resistance vs temp?

If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks,
      David

Last edited: December 12, 2009
    2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. DavidB82

DavidB82 New Member

4. Kriegen

Kriegen Active Member

City, State:
      Montgomery, AL
      Year and Model:
      1999 Mounty 5.0L AWD
      how warm does the heater blow if you turn it all the way up? The issue could be a thermostat that is stuck open. My mountie had a similar problem, the temp gauge seldom went above C and my heater never blew more than slightly warm air. Replaced the thermostat and now the gauge goes to where it should and I get nice hot air.