Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cooling system leak help

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by wellcraft, February 14, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. wellcraft

wellcraft Active Member

City, State:
      Augusta, GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2017 Explorer XLT
      I have a 99 explorer with the 4.0, I was doing a cooling system flush a while back and was out of town when a freeze came to our area, luckily the block didn't crack but I noticed it was missing a freeze plug in the passenger side, I put one back and added some water but found a leak in the water pump wich I'm fine as I new I needed to replace it as it was getting noisy, but I know I have another leak and can't figure out where is coming from. I see a constant flow of water in the back of the engine, transmission area if I look under the car. If I turn on the engine I see 2 water sprays from the back of the engine in the driver's side.
      Where that water could be coming from?
      Thanks in advance.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. poker4me007

poker4me007 Member

City, State:
      Western, Ma.
      97 Sport 4wd 4.0 ohv std
      I don't know about the sohc but the ohv has a freeze plug in the rear of the motor between your engine and transmission...For your sake I hope this is not where the leak is coming from....

looked it up seems the sohc has a rear one also...

Last edited: February 14, 2018
    4. wellcraft

wellcraft Active Member

City, State:
      Augusta, GA
      2017 Explorer XLT
      Well, it looks like it is the freeze plug as I was able to tuck it and felt like one, I was able to use a mirror and a light and noticed is in a horizontal position an not vertical, also noticed like 3 threaded holes around it, like to hook up a water line or something, I saw 2 spots in there like bubbling so I'm sure is coming from there, engine wasn't running, I just put some pressure with the water hose and it worked.

How difficult is to replace that freeze plug if I remove all the intake stuff, I have done it before so it's no issue for me but I would like to know if it can be done without pulling the engine or if the is a block off plate with bolts for that???

Thanks.

5. wellcraft

wellcraft Active Member

City, State:
      Augusta, GA
      2017 Explorer XLT
    6. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
      If you only popped a couple of freeze plugs, you need to go buy a lottery ticket. Freeze plugs are kind of a misnomer. They're not really there to protect your block and heads in the event of a coolant freeze. Usually the block will crack as well as the heads.