Cooper Defender tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cooper Defender tires

2006GrayXLT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT
I just got this explorer and it has a brand new set of Cooper Defender tires on it. The problem I am having is they have terrible road noise. I had them rotated and balanced and the noise is still there. Other than getting new tires do I have any options? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out your wheel bearings one or more is likely bad.

Yeah I have heard bearings going out and this really does not sound like it. Not saying its not but the sound is coming from all corners of the car. Thanks for the reply.

These explorers have a remarkable ability to spread wheel bearing noise all around. Many posts on here mention thinking it was a left front and then later realizing it was a right side bearing. It happened to me last year as well. It’s also possible more than one bearing is bad

Do the Coopers have a pretty aggresive tread design?

No, they are street tires. Defender HPI or HTP. Thanks for the reply

For the record - I run Michelin LTX tires on mine - the are a M&S tire but they have a very 'street' looking tread. There is always some road noise but when I have a bad bearing it sounds like I'm running some Gumbo monster mudders on it. Generally the front bearings do this the worse - the rears do it to a lesser extent. The noise comes on gradually so you tend to get used to it little by little but you can really tell a difference once that bearing is replaced.

Back