CopyKat's Copy Cat B4 | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CopyKat's Copy Cat B4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going under like the stock drivers side but will come up the passenger side to the new pipe. Out of the turbo will go down and connect to the existing exhaust.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So today I pulled the engine out and got it on the stand. Now to pull it apart and see where I was loosing coolant. I've my fingers crossed that it's just a headgasket that went. If the heads are cracked I have my buddies truck here he said I could pull the heads off of.

Here are some progress shots. Getting the engine back together. I don't like how the pipes are comming together for the exhaust so once its back in the truck I'll be redoing the passenger side. Just need to clean up the oil pan and get it back on. New clutch should be here later this afternoon.

engineRR008.jpg

engineRR007.jpg

Went to clock the turbo center to line up the oil passage and 5 of the 6 bolts broke in the housing.:curse: My new M8 tap is getting a workout.:shake:

Nice Joel!

Got a new clutch to put in it. So I just need to get the oil pan cleaned and painted so that I can get it bolted back on. Then I'll plunk the engine back in and get working on the pipes. I thought I could do them while the engine was out but there are too many things that could get in the way.

I'm still tossing the idea around of flipping the manifolds around and going around the front of the truck.

should be running in about 4-5 hours then?

heck yeah!
Thats going to be alot of fun to drive!!!

the merge looks alot smoother nice

It worked out much better this way. I picked up a couple of flanges to join the turbo feed pipe to the rest of the y-pipe. I also picked up some tube to make a downpipe from the turbo to the rest of the exhaust. I'm going to try to keep the stock flange setup. This way I don't have to do alot of mods to put it back to stock.

Here is some of last nights progress. I was hoping to keep the stock flange after the y-pipe but it is going to have to go. After adding the front piece on the flange it puts it WAY to far forward. From the looks of it I can chop it back nearly a foot and have it meet up good. So I will be adding a new flange to it further back. Monday I'll get the flange and get the last part of the exhaust cut. Next is to get more things in the engine bay and start on the intake pipes. Once everything is ironed out I'll pull the new stuff off and fully weld it.

Turbopipes007.jpg

Turbopipes011.jpg

Turbopipes009.jpg

Turbopipes008.jpg

Turbopipes010.jpg

Couple of pictures to keep things moving along. We all know everyone likes pictures.
Running the oil feed line. Just need a top restrictor plate, and wastegate actuator.
Turbopipes016.jpg

Here is the flange location for the 2 piece y-pipe.
Turbobuild001.jpg

Here is the two parts of the exhaust I have to connect. I have a wire template to take to the muffler shop. I'll get them to make a bend for this. I still need to add the flange. Not sure where I'm going to add it just yet. I'll have to play with locations to find the right spot. so that I can remove the tube if I need to.

Turbobuild002.jpg

Look close and you can see where I added the fitting for the added injectors. There will be a clamp on the hose. Just don't want to wreck my $18 hose that's 24" long. :roll:
Turbobuild007.jpg

Here you can see how far I can move the battery tray forward.
Turbobuild004.jpg

This is where I am thinking of mounting the boost gauge. From my line of sight it's only covering the Auto gear selector display.
Turbobuild006.jpg

Here is a better location for the gauge.

Turbobuild016.jpg

I plan to cut the tube on the back at an angle, and weld a plate to the back. Then paint it black just to clean it up a bit. I'll run the wires and hose out the bottom of the housing and through the dash.

Turbobuild015.jpg

Here is my bling for this project. Fawkin $40 piece of tube. :eek2: Just waiting to get my hose couplers and need to build an adapter for the MAFS.
Turbobuild014.jpg

Here is the connection for the exhaust. With the flange on the one end of the downtube, makes for snaking the the pipe from the top a bit difficult but do-able.
Turbobuild008.jpg

Here is the rest of the intake piping. Again I'm waiting to get the couplers.
Turbobuild009.jpg

Turbobuild010.jpg

Turbobuild011.jpg

so close! You excited?
I would be, hell yeah!

I had a friend about 12 years ago (helped my with my 4.0L conversion) who was tinkering with a turbo 2.9L, he ripped out the 2.9L and installed a 4.0L to get the MAS and benefit of better bottom end/heads, he must have rebuilt his pipes 4-5 times to get them just right.
This was in a long bed Ranger he used for camping, running about 6 psi max with a 5 speed
It was a hella lota fun to drive and it scooted even at a mile high, they say it takes 8psi of boost up here just to match the performance we would get at sea level (Alot easier to roast the 33's in my 4.0L BII at sea level when I was in CA LOL)

It looks great, turbo 4.0L = hell yeah, be careful! LOL BII = so easy to get the rear end to pass ya

so close! You excited?
I would be, hell yeah!

It looks great, turbo 4.0L = hell yeah, be careful! LOL BII = so easy to get the rear end to pass ya

Ya It's getting there. I know I still have to rip all the turbo stuff off and weld it all up. but just seeing it comming together is giving me pains in my right foot. There are still lots of little things to do. I've got some time this weekend to get some of the smaller things knocked off the list.

4.10's and a locker in the back are sure going to make the truck feel like a hotrod compared to the trashed LS and 3.73's I was running with the N/A engine.

Seeing your new tool box gave me the itch to replace my too small dented POS I'm using. So today I an going to pick me up a new one as they are on sale. Not going to be as big and fancy as yours Jamie but it will do me fine. I'll use my old box to store all my hardware and consumables. I need to get some organization into my shop. Now if I could get the two tractors out I'd have alot more room and have a larger work area. Just to give you an idea of the size. there are 2 tractors, one with a 6' wide snowblower attached. My bronco and I still have a decent work area, when it's cleaned up.

sweet! sounds like my dads barn where I did my 5.0L :) its HUGE and a PITA to heat in the middle of winter

Damn I should have shipped you my old tool box! Trust me I had no idea my wife was going to get me that sucker!! in my 2 car garage organization is KEY to being able to do projects, I spend half my time cleaning/organizing during every job, its the only way!

once I get the red truck in the driveway this weekend I will get some pics of my completely re-arranged work space and tools, I have 4 engine blocks I need to recycle LOL oops! I hate getting rid of parts, even the bad ones
can you say pack rat?

I would love to remote turbo my 5.0L LOL but I think I will just go 347 :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Went and picked up my new tool box. I was just going to get the top chest and the bottom cabinet but ended up getting the middle 2 drawer chest as well.

I'm stoked now. I should have more than enough room for my tools.

Progress on the truck may be put on hold tonight as I get the new box in place and put my tools in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back