• Register Today It's free!

correct tire size?

oz16us

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac
i purchased my vehicle used last year and it came with 235/70/16 size tires...it's a ford explorer sport trac 2001. I went to an online tire website and it says the default size is different. I also notice that my speed odometer reads as if I'm going faster than I really am which means that I'm adding miles to the vehicles odometer when I really aren't... what is the default tire size and do you recommend I go back to factory since I need to buy 4 new tires anyway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for the reply. I'll go outside to check a little later. btw, what's the advantages and disadvantages to going from 235/70/16 to 235/75/15?

i know many recommend not to buy used tires, but I'm low on cash. Any inside suggestions or when is the best month to buy new tires?

Look up treadwright.com. They are retreaded tires. They come with a warranty and I've seen a lot of good things about them and cost way less than new tires. If you talk to someone you can even pick the sidewall that you want them mounted on.

i know this is a stupid question, but what do you mean by sidewall?

The part of the tire that has lettering on it. An example would be that treadwright offers a tire that looks exactly like a BFG A/T TKO. Personally I would ask for the retread tires to be put on a BFG AT carcass so that it matches instead of something like a cooper discoverer because it would bug me. But at the same time different sidewalls are built differently. Some tires are known to have weaker sidewalls than others. Treadwright may only offer everything in a Load range E tire which they are all 10-ply so it doesn't really matter as much.

i checked the prices on that website and 1 tire goes for $100. I was wanting to get 4 tires for $140 balanced and installed lol

Ah gotcha. I have no experience with used tires. I would at least get a known tire though and make sure there's some useable tread left. CL has some good deals every now and then.

i checked the prices on that website and 1 tire goes for $100. I was wanting to get 4 tires for $140 balanced and installed lol

Then you better get into your time machine and set the dial for 1962!

hopefully I'm not just stating the obvious here, but if you can't afford tires for your vehicle why do you want to change sizes from what you have. run what you got. Carry on..........................:thumbsup:

hopefully I'm not just stating the obvious here, but if you can't afford tires for your vehicle why do you want to change sizes from what you have. run what you got. Carry on..........................:thumbsup:

He needs to buy new tires anyway, I assume the one he has now are done, so he was thinking of going to the stock size.....and he could save a buck or two.

If you want four tires for that cheap then your best bet is to search on craigslist and get a decent set from there. I just got a set of five, yes five not four matching 29x10.5x15's Super Swamper TSL SX's (90% tread on each) mounted on 15x8 5x5.5 aluminum wheels for $180. I can't use the wheels or tires on my vehicles but I can use the money made from them for bills which is why I let the tires go for $300 toady and the five matching wheels will go for another $200. I dismounted the tires to sell separate, they were mounted.

that's where i came up with the 4 tires for $140 number from lol...those were prices on craigslist installed

Don't buy swampers if snowtires are too loud for you.:D

wow 29" I didn't even know they were made that small ...........RAV4? or KIA ?;)

Guy I bought them from had them on his Suzuki Samari woods buggy for about a month before he blew up the motor. He actually have me the tires for free, I ended up buying the wheels because their were five matching aluminum wheels for $180.

Tire Size Comparison
Thanks for the posting, this site as a lot of information.
I have a 2000 Sport 4x4 manual trans and looking for snow tire information. No lift kit and trying to find a size that might provide more height and at the same time be narrow like snow tires. How far in height can you go before you run into clearance issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back