Corroded Battery Terminal / Cable | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FINALLY had the time to replace the battery today in my Explorer. This battery is only two years old-ish. The circuit assembly you see below pulled the + terminal out of the battery when I took it off. Had to break the assembly to get the two separated.
Here is the aftermath...

21558596_10212119792663425_2664956372916857288_n.jpg

21463238_10212119792743427_796291905542333062_n.jpg

At around 38k miles my MFT started acting up a bit so I checked underneath the red cover the positive terminal this morning and it was almost identical to the photos posted by Medic531. I had to buy the part DA8Z14526A, the positive terminal assembly and a new battery. It should be noted that there was a difference between the old and new part, the actual clamp that grips the positive terminal appeared to be copper on the old part and now looks like it's anodized aluminum/steel on the new part. My Explorer is also a 2015 and now I'm wondering if Ford was sold a defective batch of batteries that had positive terminal posts that loosened up over a short period of time and began leaking. It probably wouldn't hurt to check under the red hood of the positive terminal now and then as well as check the negative terminal as preventative maintenance.

Adding a digital voltmeter to my havis console. Seeing how the OEM battery light never came on I'm guessing this is the next best thing. Will post the install when part arrives.

I have had a similar issue with a MotorCraft BXT-65-650 battery. But I had visible cracks near the positive terminal.

Battery1.jpg
Battery2.jpg

FINALLY had the time to replace the battery today in my Explorer. This battery is only two years old-ish. The circuit assembly you see below pulled the + terminal out of the battery when I took it off. Had to break the assembly to get the two separated.
Here is the aftermath...

21558596_10212119792663425_2664956372916857288_n.jpg

21463238_10212119792743427_796291905542333062_n.jpg

That is ridiculous. makes me angry to see it. Battery was defective.

Added a volt meter to the console so I can monitor the battery.

i8mKRlk.jpg

Checking in as another corroded terminal owner! 2013 Explorer Limited

I blamed the small cracks on the battery leading to acid vapor escaping and bathing the terminal with acid.

I replaced the battery and picked up a new terminal assembly with red cap and all from a local wrecker for $40.

Checking in as another corroded terminal owner! 2013 Explorer Limited

I blamed the small cracks on the battery leading to acid vapor escaping and bathing the terminal with acid.

I replaced the battery and picked up a new terminal assembly with red cap and all from a local wrecker for $40.
I'm having the same issue I have a 2013 Explorer this is the second time this has happened in two years the battery has corroded at the point it ruin the cables and had both battery and the cables had to be replaced. Battery corroded over the weekend cleaned it off having a problem with that same part. Ford needs to fix these issues it should not be happening
I have a 2016 Explorer sport that didn’t start 2 days ago, got jumped by roadside assistance, who mentioned that the positive terminal was extremely corroded and needed to be cleaned, which hubby did that night after work. Next morning car didn’t start again-at dealer now saying not under warranty due to Loose connector, prob done by my hubby during cleaning(With spray and wir brush) and not the massive corrosion-will try to post pic of battery-never seen anything like it!

I have a 2016 Explorer sport that didn’t start 2 days ago, got jumped by roadside assistance, who mentioned that the positive terminal was extremely corroded and needed to be cleaned, which hubby did that night after work. Next morning car didn’t start again-at dealer now saying not under warranty due to Loose connector, prob done by my hubby during cleaning(With spray and wir brush) and not the massive corrosion-will try to post pic of battery-never seen anything like it!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
When said loose connector I'm guessing you mean the cable clamp. Is that right? If so, that should not affect the warranty on the battery if that is what the dealer was referring to. If it now is an issue with the clamp, it might be able to be fixed so that it can be tightened on the battery terminal or else it may have to be replaced. In any case there was definitely a prior issue that caused the corrosion. Good luck.

Peter

I had the same thing happen to me this weekend. Drove the car just fine. Stopped, got gas, and it was dead. Lifted the hood to see a massive pile of corrosion around the positive terminal. Got it jumped and took it to Autozone to get a new battery (Was on our way out to go camping). When they tried to replace the battery, they stated that the terminal was too corroded. Had it towed to the Ford dealer. My 2016 Explorer sport just passed the 36000 mile mark. (by about 25 miles). Dealer stated that they ordered a new battery harness.

Today, I called to see if it was covered. He made a few calls, and Ford said this was covered under the Emissions Warranty, and I don't have to pay anything for replacement. For those that have been in this, or if it comes up again, you might want to try that route.

I will be keeping an eye on the battery much for frequently for sure now.

Mark

2016 Explorer: Last fall I was traveling and parked near a tree. Opened the hood to remove leaves and found a corroded terminal that matched the pictures in this forum. Had the terminal cleaned, drove 600 miles home where my dealer replaced the battery. New battery is showing signs of corrosion. Not many miles on the car. Questions why are we having battery problems on new cars? Is there a battery recall? Are other car manufacturers having battery problems? Having to keep monitoring battery corrosion is not an acceptable solution!!!

2016 Explorer: Last fall I was traveling and parked near a tree. Opened the hood to remove leaves and found a corroded terminal that matched the pictures in this forum. Had the terminal cleaned, drove 600 miles home where my dealer replaced the battery. New battery is showing signs of corrosion. Not many miles on the car. Questions why are we having battery problems on new cars? Is there a battery recall? Are other car manufacturers having battery problems? Having to keep monitoring battery corrosion is not an acceptable solution!!!
Looks like they should have changed the cable as well. I'm guessing the current issue is because of the affected cable. Although several members have had this issue I would not say it is a very common problem. I can't recall when I had it happen the last time with any of my vehicles. Recalls are issued only for safety related issues. Perhaps coating the parts with a dielectric grease will help,
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be helpful info to have at times. Thanks.

Peter

The battery on my Mom's Explorer corroded and broke the clamp. She called the dealership this morning and they told her how much to replace that. They also noted that if the corrosion got into the wiring that it could run into the thousands of dollars to have fixed because of some censors and fuses.

I did some quick googling and found out how to replace the wiring and clamps but I cannot find anything talking about the censors and fuses. Can anyone help me determine if anything else needs to be done in addition to changing the clamp and wiring(if corroded)?

The battery on my Mom's Explorer corroded and broke the clamp. She called the dealership this morning and they told her how much to replace that. They also noted that if the corrosion got into the wiring that it could run into the thousands of dollars to have fixed because of some censors and fuses.

I did some quick googling and found out how to replace the wiring and clamps but I cannot find anything talking about the censors and fuses. Can anyone help me determine if anything else needs to be done in addition to changing the clamp and wiring(if corroded)?
Your thread has been merged with this one identified above. As you can see in this thread, there are pictures of some very nasty looking terminals/cables and I don't think anyone has had to replace any sensors or fuses because of the corrosion. If you have the dealer replace thr battery you should make sure that they also reset the Battery Management System (BMS) so that it doesn't retain the old information.

Peter

So is the battery and connection covered under emissions or extended warranty. My 2015 explorer limited with 43000 got me this weekend. Just checking if that would be warranted before ordering parts

So is the battery and connection covered under emissions or extended warranty. My 2015 explorer limited with 43000 got me this weekend. Just checking if that would be warranted before ordering parts
Welcome to the Forum Jonathan. :wave:
Page 20 of your Warranty Guide lists everything coved under the Emissions Warranty. The battery and cable are not listed.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery is 3yr/36k and is considered wear and tear so no to the ESP

Back