Corrosion?

9COOP5

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp XLS
2014 Exp XLT
What do you think is causing this corrosion or rust spots in the inside of the the door? This is a 2014 Ford Explorer XLT and it is now starting on the left inner rear door as well.

17EE8462-F954-4343-BDD9-D8493D30F0C0.jpeg

View attachment 159229

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Mlarv5. I will try after I let the Ford dealership call take some pictures due to the 5 year corrosion plan on new car purchase. If Ford does not repair I definity will. Didn’t expect this to happen this soon anyway.

The 5 yr is on perforation.. it has to have a hole. Surface rust is only covered for 3/36.

Thanks Mlarv5. I will try after I let the Ford dealership call take some pictures due to the 5 year corrosion plan on new car purchase. If Ford does not repair I definity will. Didn’t expect this to happen this soon anyway.

That's depressing on a newer vehicle. I think Ford will cover corrosion only if it rusts totally through and causes a perforation in the sheet metal. Which during the 5 year "warranty" that's not likely to happen. Rust will start in that 5 year period but chances are it'll not rust totally through until after the 5 year "corrosion" warranty is expired. I'll be very interested to hear what your dealer says. But most likely you'll have to take care of it yourself. I live in "Salt" Jersey and have been taking care of beginning rust before it gets worse. Unfortunately once rust starts you can usually only slow it down but not stop it totally.

Whimsey

usually they only cover rust holes. If you arent too picky and since your Explorers black I would mask off the edges just where the rust is and brush on this coating, should take less than half an hour. POR-15 Rust Preventive Coating - Stop Rust Permanently

Proper way would be to sand blast the door edge and apply a rust converter and then followed by automotive primer and paint.

Are there any other spots of rust on the vehicle body seams?

There are two very small spots that are hard to see unless up close, starting on the left rear door.

The issue with Ford is that they don't paint the vehicles well. They miss so many place and or skim paint that it is crazy.... I can show on mines how many places are not painted.

Remove the lose rust, then treat with "OSPHO" a.k.a. phosphoric acid, it will stop the rust, then paint real good for protection.

Yep I will do the repair job after Ford gives me a response whether they will cover most of the cost, all of the cost or none of the cost.

Yep I will do the repair job after Ford gives me a response whether they will cover most of the cost, all of the cost or none of the cost.
If you are out of warranty, I will put $20 on "Ford will cover none of the cost".

This is caused by a multitude of factors including, but not limited to, **** materials, **** manufacturing process, **** quality control, and/or not washing the vehicle enough/properly to flush/remove corrosive contaminants (such as road salt). The proper repair is always to remove paint, separate seams, clean/treat affected areas, close seams and weld, then prep and repaint, or replace entire door if rust is bad enough (if repairs aren't performed properly, and they rarely ever are, the seams will rust again). Good luck.

Ford is covering 70 percent of the repair and I will receive a rental for 2 days. It’s not 100 percent covered, but I just want the truck repaired.

Back