Cost of a complete transmission fluid change? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cost of a complete transmission fluid change?

SyberTiger

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4x4 4.6L
It's time to get the transmission fluid changed on my 2002 Explorer Limited. It now has 100K miles on it. I was curious to know a couple things about getting a transmission fluid change job done:

1. What is the cost generally?
2. The filter gets changed but anything else other than the fluid?
3. Do I need to look out to make sure the fluid change is a "REAL" fluid change that includes a backflush or complete flush or is a fluid change on these things pretty much standard regardless of where you go?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I found so far:

Mr. Transmission
$89.95 Filter change, replace fluid, new pan gasket
$129.99 Complete fluid evacuation plus filter and fluid

AAMCO
$79.99 Filter change, replace fluid, new pan gasket
$129.99 Complete fluid evacuation plus filter and fluid

Ford
$149.99 Drop pan, replace fluid, new pan gasket
$179.99 Complete flush without removing pan.

What seems odd to me is that Ford says there is no filter to change. They state there is only a mesh type filter that is cleaned in a flush operation and even their pan drop option does not change the filter because there isn't one to be changed. They said the only reason to drop the pan is to replace a leaking gasket. If you want to replace the gasket and do the complete flush to get the fluid our retained in the torque converter you have to pay $149.99 plus $179.99.

I'm confused now regarding the existence of a changeable filter nor not.

Thanks guys. But I don't think I up for changing the transmission fluid. Had my fill of transmission fluid/filter changing on my old Camaro. Yes, I did the typical pry the pan off with a screwdriver trick and spilled old fluid everywhere....LOL!

Anyhooo, unless any of you waive a red flag I think I'm going with option #1 below at AAMCO for $135. I have 100K miles on the tranny and have never changed the fluid or filter. I understand the power purge will get the 3 quarts of fluid sitting in the torque converter that are hard to get out without more sophisticated equipment than I have.

1. AAMCO Power Purge® Plus Transmission Flush & Filter Change
2. AAMCO Power Purge® Transmission Flush
3. AAMCO Safeguard® Fluid & Filter Change

If it was me, and the issues be known of the 2002 Explorer transmissions, I would pony the extra money for the change at the dealer, and have the change documented there as having taken place.

I'm not privy on the filter, but my 2004 Taurus had a similar screen that only needed to be flushed in the process, not replaced. Two shops I went to before going to the dealer (one was AAMCO) wanted to charge me for a filter that wasn't there.

Just my .02 but for as often as it's done, I can say that I would, and have, spent the extra $40 to have it done at the dealer and know your getting true Ford-spec fluids as well.

I have a V8 and a 5R55W tranny. I've confirmed that this tranny does have a filter. Meaning, it has a part that is replaceable which contains a mesh screen. Not exactly a paper filter if you know what I mean.

I suppose this is somewhat consistent with what Ford told me. After 100K miles I feel it is better to change out that screen filter. Ford didn't seem to want to do that unless the tranny pan was leaking around the gasket. To do the flush/filter/fluid complete package Ford said they would charge me $149.99 plus $179.99 because to them it was like doing two different maintenance routines.

I think that $329.98 is a little excessive considering I can have the same thing done at AAMCO for $135.

You need to find a different dealer.

I have a V8 and a 5R55W tranny. I've confirmed that this tranny does have a filter. Meaning, it has a part that is replaceable which contains a mesh screen. Not exactly a paper filter if you know what I mean.

I suppose this is somewhat consistent with what Ford told me. After 100K miles I feel it is better to change out that screen filter. Ford didn't seem to want to do that unless the tranny pan was leaking around the gasket. To do the flush/filter/fluid complete package Ford said they would charge me $149.99 plus $179.99 because to them it was like doing two different maintenance routines.

I think that $329.98 is a little excessive considering I can have the same thing done at AAMCO for $135.

^ agreed ^

The flat rate should include an allowance for the other work being performed. If it's over $300- yeah, I'd look around too :)

All you need to do is flush it. Sears will do it 12qts $89 13qts $129. (^_^)

Where ever you go, do a full power flush. There's a lot more than 3 quarts left behind if you don't. As for the "filter", it's just a metal screen. No need to change screen in my opinion. Never ever "clean" the filter. Whatever you use, rag/towel, will leave lint behind. This is often what kills a modern trans when the fluid is flushed due to tight tolerences and small passages that this stuff ends up blocking. The fluid really needs to be changed though and I mean all of it.

i need mine done soon to =p

I suggest getting dealer to do this one. I just had my '04 done at dealer. It was right at $200 total, but to me, well worth it!! I had mine done at 50k, not willing to go 100k before replacing fluid. Still much cheaper than a tranny replacement!! They did put in 15 quarts of new fluid to refill.

I've become a believer in Amsoil lubricants and have an '04 with 70,000 miles, so what would be the chances of finding a shop that would be able to do a power flush to get all of the old fluid out, replace the screen with the real filter and fill with Amsoil full syn fluid ? Am I dreaming ? ?

Some will let you bring your own fluid in to change to. As far as the filter goes, your best bet is to put an inline trans filter in your cooler line.

Surprised on those needing new pan gaskets because it's stamped on the pan that the gaskets reuseable.

Either way, a new gasket is better than an old one.

I have an 2005 Explorer that has 103k on it. I bought it with 83k on it as it was a one owner vehicle that kept up with the maintenance. I just called the Ford Dealer near me and they charge $225-$240 for the transmission servicing. I plan on getting this done at the end of the month.

I usually get it done at the same time as the rear differential. I usually pay right at $400 for both from my Ford Dealer.

complete transmission fluid change prices

I'm sure this varies regionally but out here in the PNW, I just priced out Aamco, Dealer and my usual shop for things I don't want to do myself. I want a full flush, both diffs and transfer case as well as transmission fluid changed.

Here's what they said:
Aamco - $435
Ford Dealer - $550
Local Shop - $550

So, I guess since the truck is new to me with 137K on it, I could spend the extra to have Ford do it, or have my shop do it for the extra C note.

The 5r55w you should have definitely has a changeable filter. Power flush can be a problem if your fluid has not been changes before as required. Flushing will stir debris up that can get in all of you valves and stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5r55w you should have definitely has a changeable filter. Power flush can be a problem if your fluid has not been changes before as required. Flushing will stir debris up that can get in all of you valves and stuff.

So, should you drop and clean the pan first?

Mike

Back