• Register Today It's free!

Cowl hoods

98 MERC

Reaction score
City, State
Holland Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok guys i got a e mail from the company and they still make the fiberglass cowl hoods ! Here is the e mail.I told them maybe they should make a announcement on the site that they are still making them.I mean if people are spending 650 on a set of headers then these hoods are in peoples budget.

Hi Scott,
Yes we still make the hood!! The hood is $469.00 plus a $55.00 boxing/crating fee and shipping. Keep in mind that it is cheaper to send to a business address rather than a residential address.
www.fiberpartsconcepts.com

Thanks,
Erica

Rob@FiberConcepts
335 W. Bristol Rd.
Warminster, Pa. 18974
fiberglasshood@aol.com
Toll Free: (800) 672-1238

for giggles, I checked shipping rates to me in Canada
LTL Standard Service (Details)
271.96 (USD)
Add duty and tariffs to this and I bet its easily as much as the unpainted hood.
One expensive upgrade if purchased in Canada.

Anything in Canada is over priced.We seem to pay half the amount for anything in the us that you guys buy in Canada.Its terrible.May i suggest having it shipped to a friend in the us and just take it home with you ? lol

I just had to post that shipping quote. Crazy.

The ideal thing would be to have it painted by a body shop in the US, drive down and have it fitted.

lol

I know she told me if i had it shipped to a business it would be much cheaper.Not sure if that would help you.

The Ranger hood lines are a little different at the front corners, they don't swap. I'm glad they still make the cowl hood, and I still have that beautiful blue Mountaineer picture saved on my PC. That was over 10 years ago. That's the painted grille I bought back then for my Mercury.

I wish one of those hood companies would have made the Cobra F1 version that used to be popular for F150's, and they had a Ranger version too. I bought the top pieces of one to see what a friend(of a friend) might be able to do with them, but I haven't seen him in ages.
98-04rangerCobrahood.jpg
hood1up.jpg

I like that black ranger ! LOL. I used to have a 89 xlt that was dark red and silver 2 tone.That sucks about the ranger hood not fitting.But yea its awesome to find a company that still makes them.

Also how would i go about finding a painted grill ? I was told its possible to paint a chrome one ? I think the painted grills came on some of the higher end mountaineers from the factory ? I cant find a painted one anywhere.Plenty of chrome ones for sale.

The painted Mountaineer grille began in 2000 I think, blue and pea green only. I bought one new back then, knowing it'd be a long time til one came around in a JY. The chrome is not good to paint over, some people do it and have limited success. I've got a spare Lincoln grille I plan to try to paint and see how it lasts.

Here's my green grille with a 3rd gen Mercury emblem laying on it.

2000Grille.JPG

Oh man i need that.LOL.What if You could some how media blast the chrome finish off the grill down to the bare plastic ? I mean their has to be a base plastic under their.No way that grill is chrome all the way thru.Maybe some paint stripper or something could eat that finish off ?

I think for most chromed plastic parts, you have to etch the surface, make it rough so paint can get ahold of it. I don't know the details, but that's the general description of how it's painted.

I bet a body shop could media blast it with maybe walnut shells just to strip the chrome but not damage the plastic.

You should be able to find one, the cost just may be more due to shipping one, or finding a new one(NOS). There are just two part numbers to look for, and some online parts source may be able to locate one.

explorer express made hoods http://explorerexpress.com/
give dave a call. he might have one or two and just not have them on the page.
also, my advice, fit the hood first, THEN get it painted. most times they wont line up very good and will need to be tweaked. they will also more then likely be wavy as hell, so they will also need lots, and lots of block sanding.

explorer express made hoods http://explorerexpress.com/
give dave a call. he might have one or two and just not have them on the page.
also, my advice, fit the hood first, THEN get it painted. most times they wont line up very good and will need to be tweaked. they will also more then likely be wavy as hell, so they will also need lots, and lots of block sanding.

I herd they used to sell em but yea i no longer see them on the site.It also seems like every person that bought one had a hell of a time finishing it.I wonder if explorer express could compete with these guys in quality and price ? What did they ask for the hood when they sold it new back in the day ? These guys i found seem to hand make them.Not sure if explorer express did that ? Or if they can even be made by a machine ?

That last one is Eric's, his truck is a 99 Sport with a 302/AWD in it. He was one of the first to do the Mountaineer conversion to an Explorer, and it looks great.

The one before I think I may have seen, but the grill section looks smaller than stock. I like that too. That was the only thing I didn't like about the Mountaineer, the large gaudy chrome grille. I can live with the painted version of it, and that looks even better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I work for Mcneil Racing. i can make a cowl hood happen if there is enough interest

Back