Cowl hoods | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cowl hoods

Here is a photo with the hood open. As you can see, there are two openings in the hood to extract heat out. I believe the cowl is 2-1/4"....so it does allow extra clearance inside the center of the engine. FiberCustoms makes a cowl for the 1st gen Explorer and that hood is much taller than this one.
Hood1_zpslfncvq8k.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice, I like that a lot. The hood is cool too.

how long have you had that hood on for?
I've had the hood on for 1 year now. The only thing I have not installed yet is the hood hook on this hood.

Very nice, I like that a lot. The hood is cool too.
Thank you, I appreciate it. :) I like this hood a lot too...it turns heads from other Explorer owners around town.

I've had the hood on for 1 year now. The only thing I have not installed yet is the hood hook on this hood.

have you noticed any cracking, or separating anyplace on it? the reason i am asking is years back on a mustang forum i belonged to, there was a company selling hoods. there was even a group buy on them. after the group buy was over, the company vanished then opened under a different name. everyone's hoods started cracking or separating (one guy said his blew off doing 110 in the 1/4).in the end, everyone was stuck with a hood that was junk, and out 500 for them. i was trying to make a steel cowl hood, but its been put on the back burner because of time.....and its a ***** to make it the way a want to make it.

have you noticed any cracking, or separating anyplace on it? the reason i am asking is years back on a mustang forum i belonged to, there was a company selling hoods. there was even a group buy on them. after the group buy was over, the company vanished then opened under a different name. everyone's hoods started cracking or separating (one guy said his blew off doing 110 in the 1/4).in the end, everyone was stuck with a hood that was junk, and out 500 for them. i was trying to make a steel cowl hood, but its been put on the back burner because of time.....and its a ***** to make it the way a want to make it.

So far I haven't noticed any cracking or separation since it has been installed. The vehicle hasnt been driven long enough or at high speeds to really affect any strain on the hood. The real test will be next month when I take the Saleen on its 1st road trip since I've owned it. It seems like a solid hood and I hope it does well. (We shall see.) Before I purchased this hood, I read some comments on other forums with those that owned fiberglass hoods and heard stories about cracking. It would be great to have a steel cowl hood, especially if the lines and cowl lined up nicely like this one.

So far I haven't noticed any cracking or separation since it has been installed. The vehicle hasnt been driven long enough or at high speeds to really affect any strain on the hood. The real test will be next month when I take the Saleen on its 1st road trip since I've owned it. It seems like a solid hood and I hope it does well. (We shall see.) Before I purchased this hood, I read some comments on other forums with those that owned fiberglass hoods and heard stories about cracking. It would be great to have a steel cowl hood, especially if the lines and cowl lined up nicely like this one.

How much extra prep work had to be done before the final paint ? I have herd that some fiberglass hoods need a TON before the final paint.That can well exceed the purchase price.

You got me wanting one of these hoods bad.

How much extra prep work had to be done before the final paint ? I have herd that some fiberglass hoods need a TON before the final paint.That can well exceed the purchase price.
To be honest with you, I was told it didn't require much prep at all. After taking the hood out of the box, it looked really nice and ready to go. The guy from FiberCustom told me the Explorer hood isnt a common hood, so each one is made to order. (Unlike their popular hoods that they keep in stock) It does take a few weeks but they did a great job making mine.
You got me wanting one of these hoods bad.
Its a really nice hood. If you do get one....PLEASE look it over, make sure it fits, and there are no blemishes, cracks, etc. They do have a warranty.

Here are a few pictures when I got mine. (Please excuse the background mess.) The last three pictures i found a few years ago and are not mine. I wish I knew where i found them so I can give credit due.
20160325_105338_HDR_zpstvabra3a.jpg

20160325_105855_HDR_zps450w3pzd.jpg

20160325_105826_HDR_zpsrlmukpfu.jpg

20160325_105804_HDR_zpsbspa6fcq.jpg

cowl%20hood%20pictures%202%20web_zps08zvfifl.jpg

cowl%20hood%20web%203_zpson4s2x21.jpg

cowl%20hood%20picture%201%20web_zpsssoxh1n7.jpg

Looking at the small openings from the back of the cowl i think i would open it all the way up or make those holes larger for more air to escape.I just think the air holes are to small.

Also would it be bad to install it and drive around in that white coating ? Should it be painted right away ? Maybe UV rays would ruin that gelcoat

The holes shown in the last 2 pictures appear to be thinner than the ones on my hood. Mine are slightly larger and seem to do just fine. They recommend that you age your hood for at least 7 days before doing anything to it. Heat from the engine and from direct sunlight will cure the fiberglass bonging material and stabilize the gelcoat surface. You can also take it to your body shop and have them bake it at 120 degrees for 20 minutes. They provide an instruction flyer on what to do with your hood before painting.

I had to have a TON (meaning alot) of work done to my Saleen Carbon Fiber Composite hood bring it to a high standard before painting. The plus is that it is better than it ever was the day it was made.

20150711_102418_resized.jpg

20150711_122716_resized.jpg

20150711_122729_resized.jpg

20150711_143648_resized.jpg

20150712_122411_resized.jpg

20150712_122446_resized.jpg

That cowl hood does look nice. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up.

And of course the saleen one has always been awesome but rare. Random question though, do the "pockets" fill up with water when it rains?

That cowl hood does look nice. I wouldn't mind picking one of those up.

And of course the saleen one has always been awesome but rare. Random question though, do the "pockets" fill up with water when it rains?

yes just a bit when sitting.

4F1EEABC-6D16-4182-851B-CB35A2358B7D.jpeg
old thread.... i know.....this is relevant today tho..... the question about painting a chrome grille? a torch will pop the chrome plating off very easily then sand n paint ....

View attachment 176665 old thread.... i know.....this is relevant today tho..... the question about painting a chrome grille? a torch will pop the chrome plating off very easily then sand n paint ....

Those '97 Mountaineer grille's are getting real hard to find one in good shape!

Those '97 Mountaineer grille's are getting real hard to find one in good shape!
very true sir .... i havent owned this one very long and the chrome was peeling off when i got it and that bothered me because of the otherwise "time capsule" condition of this car..... was literally a older ladies ride since new and from info i can find has been dealer maintained and such....

I want a pretty hood,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back