Cracks in coolant system fan | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cracks in coolant system fan

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows: I have found serious cracks in the hub area of my '02 S/T coolant system fan. These cracks are between EVERY blade. Of course I will be replacing the fan but I would like to know if I should replace any other part while I'm in the area, ie fan clutch, etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might as well replace fan clutch, since you are going to be in there. The cracks is a common issue. At least you found it before the fan came apart and caused more damage.

BK. Thanks. Can the fan be removed from the clutch in place? It appears that there is enough clearance to to remove the bolts holding the fan to the clutch once the shroud is removed.

If the cracks extend to either edge of the fan, replace it. I had this issue with my 2000 XLT 5.0L. Got a replacement Motorcraft fan from RockAuto for $40. I found I was able change the fan without having to remove the clutch, though it's a little tight to work in there.

Koda: Thanks. It appears that the fan shroud is one piece (I think my '02 Ranger is 2 pcs ). To access the bolts retaining the fan to the clutch can I "simply" remove the shroud bolts, push the shroud to the rear (back over the fan) and gain access to the fan bolts that I think are on the front side of the fan?

Koda: Thanks. It appears that the fan shroud is one piece (I think my '02 Ranger is 2 pcs ). To access the bolts retaining the fan to the clutch can I "simply" remove the shroud bolts, push the shroud to the rear (back over the fan) and gain access to the fan bolts that I think are on the front side of the fan?

Yes, that sounds about right. I don't recall if I took my shroud loose or not. There are 2 shroud bolts at the top and the shroud hooks into the radiator on the sides. If necessary you can disconnect the transmission lines too. Almost no fluid will be lost. Just be sure to use two wrenches on the trans lines. They have O-ring seals inside so they don't need to be super tight when reinstalling.

Back