Cranks but won't start, no fuel pump sound... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cranks but won't start, no fuel pump sound...

Nick26;
Had the same problem last year.
Two easy things to check before you rip it apart.
From under the drivers side at the fuel tank locate the wiring harness to the pump.
You should be able to reach a connector before the pump and pull it apart.
Several wires in the group 2 for power the rest for the Gage. Locate the 2 largest wares, those are power, connect your 12vdc meter and turn the ignition on, you should get 12vdc, if not the pump is not your problem.

If you do have 12vdc and don't here the pump run when its connected I have another trick that worked for me.
I took a some heavy speaker wire and ran it from the battery to the pump power connectors, I got a spark but no hum so I reversed the polarity to spin the pump in reverse, and guess what It ran, so I plugged it back in and it's been OK since. I guess the pump somehow picked up something and was stuck but running it back wards cleared it up. How this helps.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't go too far away from home in your Explorer guys. When you connected the pump in reverse it started to work because the brushes were able to make some contact with the commutator in the pump motor. Pounding the tank with a rubber hammer usually accomplishes the same thing. The pump will work for a while and then leave you stranded at the most inconvenient time. Trust me - I am an electrical engineer and it happened to me....The only real solution is to replace the pump and it is tres cher ( expensive)

Good luck- Dorertheexplorer.

Don't go too far away from home in your Explorer guys. When you connected the pump in reverse it started to work because the brushes were able to make some contact with the commutator in the pump motor. Pounding the tank with a rubber hammer usually accomplishes the same thing. The pump will work for a while and then leave you stranded at the most inconvenient time. Trust me - I am an electrical engineer and it happened to me....The only real solution is to replace the pump and it is tres cher ( expensive)

Good luck- Dorertheexplorer.

I wasn't exactly suggesting this as a permanent repair, rather a way to know for a fact if the pump is bad. Kind of like pounding the starter with a hammer, it may get you running but you better head for the auto store. In my case the pump was just stuck for some reason. If you end up replacing the pump I would follow the thread written by Burns regarding creating an access panel to the pump.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182160

Good Luck
Bob

how to reassembly a shifter flute in "97 explorer

My transmission got changed cuz it gave out on me. But now my truck wont turn on.... The ignition cranks but it just wont start.... What could it be what can i do?

try checking the fuel cut off switch.
also i just replaced my pump a few months back, peice of cake. one thing i did was unscrew the fuel bleeder cap and press the button to see if i had and psi. none. plus i could dump a ton of starter fluid into the tb, she would run for a few secs. then cut off. pretty much knew the pump was gone.

or you could just replace your fuel pump relay? same thing happend to mine

I'm having the same problems as this guy. Replaced fuel pump, filter, has pressure to the injector rail, brand new relay and only kicks on and off when done manually (e.g. removing cap to relay and pushing connector, no spark, can't connect to ECU computer with diagnostics computer. Ideas?

Have you tried checking the fuses in the power distribution box. I had a pump and thought it went bad i switched it all around and still didnt work untill i changed that fuse... yeah money out the window but i learned something.

And I guess I need to add my name to the list I have a 91 ford exp 4.0L v6 and I have had problems with getting power to the fuel pump. I just replace my fuel pump and the relays and a fuse in the power distribution box and got it running but it wasn't running that well. Thats another task but I parked it for a while and started it every so often and the next time I go out to start it it wont fire. I listen for the fuel pump and nothing.. So i went into my rant and kicked the thing a few times and went inside. Since then i have checked the connection at the fuel pump its tight but im not sure if im getting power. Fuses are all good and relays are all good. Least the one under the power distribution box. So i bought the FORD Code Reader says its for Fords 1981-1995 I ran the test and it gave me 95 which labels, fuelpump secondary circuit fault. Now I have the chilton ford rannger/explorer/mountaineer 1991-99 book and have been trying to go through the wiring skims but i cant seem to find this.. Anyone know anywhere else to look??

Back