• Register Today It's free!

Cranks but won't start!!

derick82

Reaction score
City, State
Flint, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Alright, I'm hoping one of you amazing guys (and girls) can help me out. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with the 4.6L V6 that out of the blue won't start. It has been running fine, no problems whatsoever, tonight I got in it to go to the store and it cranks but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump running, but just to be sure I removed the plastic "beauty cover" from the engine so I could access the fuel rail. When I depressed the schrader valve I had fuel pressure. I relieved all the pressure then cycled the pump a few times, pressed the valve again and it was re-pressurized. This tells me that I have fuel and am getting pressure however I don't have a gauge so I can't be positive on the PSI. I tried resetting the fuel cut off switch also just to be safe. It's late, dark, cold and I'm frustrated so i'll give it a set of fresh eyes in the morning. In the meantime any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Also, thought I'd mention that I have only had this car about 3 months so I do not know anything about it's maintenance history and it did not come with a warranty so this is all on me. Thanks all!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got fuel pressure, likely enough of it, so spark suspected next, yes? Pull of a plug wire, stick a plastic-handled screwdriver in the boot, hold shank within 1/4" of a grounded part, have someone crank engine a few turns, watch for spark. Be careful.

Let us know result. imp

Good day everyone.,I have a 2002. 4.6 Eb. With 150.000 had it a month. And it started knockig ,I just finished. A engine swap what a job the. New eng is all put in and it cranks good but wo.t start my question. Is what should i check first? Could i have. Crossed wires ? What are the common. Mistakes?
Despert. In St Louis

I just discovered my problem, (or at least one of them), with an engine swap I did last week, on my 2003 4.0. Before you think this won't apply, hear me out.

I swapped motors, and put all of my injectors, sensors, wire harness, and other little stuff on the replacement engine, (the only thing I didn't change was the coolant temp sensor, since it was the same part number on both engines). Everything should have worked..... it didn't.

After numerous hours spent swapping sensors back and forth, removing my fuel injectors, checking them, cleaning them, checking for fuel injector pulse, changing coil packs, tracing wires for a short, etc., etc. I gave up!!!

I took it to a buddy who is the service manager at my local Ford dealership, to have it checked on their computer. They found out it was "over-fueling".

The cause of this frustration turned out to be the engine temperature sensor was bad, telling the computer it was only 10 degrees outside. This made the computer dump additional fuel to get it started, thus over-fueling.

Try swapping it out, before you cuss as much as I did. NOTE: I cranked and cranked, with the no-start condition, sooooo much, that the oil had a slight smell of gasoline in it. Change the oil if you suspect you've cranked as much as I did.

Another note:

Found I have a clogged catalytic convertor, $BIG money at the dealership, $280 at my local muffler shop.

Note to fellow gear heads: It might be worth a shot to loosen the exhaust from the manifolds to troubleshoot the exhaust. Ran great when it could exhale, wouldn't run at all when it was restricted.

Back