Crozet, VA 10th anniversary run chat thread | Page 28 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crozet, VA 10th anniversary run chat thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josh said:
Here is a little blurb I pulled from the northern VA jeepers thread for those worried about damage. I say give it a chance. GWNF is OK but not that tough at least not what I have run so far. I don't want to break my truck either, but that is a lot of gas money to come all that way. most of us have our national forests we can run but not to many ORV parks. ;)

While Crozet is a very challenging park, once you have been down there a couple of times and hit all of the trails about 3 or 4 times each driving them becomes almost second nature, like the trails arent as challenging, but they are still exciting. Over the course of two days on the 20 and 21st I only got stuck once to the point of needing to stack rocks, and the place I did was nearly a black trail. While I think there is a negative stereo type about Crozet being a place you go to tear your junk up, I've been there enought to realize that your only going to break something if you beat on your ride. I have been there atleast 4 to 5 times and this last time my big damage came from running my bumper into the same rock over and over again even though my wife told me there was a rock in the way of the bumper. Beyond a broken mirror, bent bumper and scraped plastic I havent broken or scraped anything I didnt know I was going to do....that is to say that I knew something was going to get scrapped, bent or broken if I kept doing what I was doing and decided myself to not back off. Unless you lack driving skills or a Jeep there is no reason that anyone cant spend a weekend at Crozet having a blast on the trails and still come away with nothing broken and nothing damaged even with a completely stock Jeep.
I do think one thing that the members here on Nova seem to forget is that any member....ANY member can setup a ride, atleast when I was a member you could. Even if you only get one or two other people to go with you your still to have a great time. Chris and Heather will make sure of that. Theres no excuse that its too far away either. Crozet is very comparable to going to GW, infact I might even say their the same distance. And anyone who says Nova is more of a social club than wheeling club so thats why we dont go to Crozet.....well go to Crozet and do some wheeling and stick around for a night around the camp fire. Once the beer and fire starts there is plenty of time for socializing.

Hell wheeling isn't wheeling unless you do some diff whacking or even some rock crushing with the a-arm :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blee1099 said:
Hell wheeling isn't wheeling unless you do some diff whacking or even some rock crushing with the a-arm :D
Thats what Im talkin about. I want to do something that requires me to think a little. I want to push it but I don't want to brake it. Its still 3 hours from home. Any luck on that list? I'm just realy curious to see numbers. Then again it could be 3 people for all I care I'm still going :confused: anybody coming have an Aussie locker or anything like it? I need someone to validate my install. It seems like its working but I have never owned one before so I don't know.

Josh said:
Any luck on that list? I'm just realy curious to see numbers. Then again it could be 3 people for all I care I'm still going .

Might just be you and I Josh! We'll wheel'em hard baby!

Josh said:
Thats what Im talkin about. I want to do something that requires me to think a little. I want to push it but I don't want to brake it. Its still 3 hours from home. Any luck on that list? I'm just realy curious to see numbers. Then again it could be 3 people for all I care I'm still going :confused: anybody coming have an Aussie locker or anything like it? I need someone to validate my install. It seems like its working but I have never owned one before so I don't know.

I'll get the preliminary results up soon. I have about 14 for Crozet for those who have replied or those I know will do Crozet and about 4 who want to do GWNF.

JoshC said:
Might just be you and I Josh! We'll wheel'em hard baby!
I'm ready ------ I think? Might go to the junkyard and get a spindle, but I have never heard of the D35 spindles breaking.

Those pictures looked like a nice stroll with the wife and kids. My Mother's driveway is so much worse...Creek and all. BRING ON CROZET BABY! 14 trucks is decent isn't it?

I am very ready, I hope to god I wont break anything major, but who knows. The rear end is bulletproof with 33s and the front end should be just fine with 33s, tie rods should be good, really that may break are body parts, as in mirrors, and more scratches, but that is half the fun right.

I'm gettin more and more ready...all I have to do left is put in the fron locker which I am ordering as we speak!

Bah I got lots to do.. Get a new transfer case, finish my skids, buy Tig's front bumper and mount the winch. Hell t-case is definately a need and skids..

You kids are going to get just what you want at Crozet. You should not break anything if you are careful. However, trails are blue, red, and black. When I went in March the caranage (about 6 jeeps and me) was a cracked control arm, a small rip in a soft top, and our leader a mangled exhaust pipe, a ripped sidewall and poped tire bead. These guys didnot go atound anything and only half had lockers. I lost a mud flap. FYI remove any mudflaps before you wheel at Crozet.

Also at Crozet plan to air down to 20-psi or less, and disconnect sway bars.

Are there any wet spots like creeks or any other cool stuff such as a mud hole or dirt mound? Or is it just rocks and more rocks? No complaints! Does any body have a map? I never could find one on the Crozet web site? Maybe Chris has an answer.

Are you looking for a map of the trails? If so we don't have one because all rides are guided. We do have 2 muddy trails (depending on rain). Mostly rock with some dirt (or mud if it is raining) between them.

Chris

Ben, I just saw the email notification for this thread regarding sending out emails. I thought that you would have done that since you are the "keeper of the list" for this run.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I have some questions, kinda confused.

Is the 300 acre area packed with obsticles? Are the trails like M and Q trail at paragon in the manner they are basicaly one long obsticle? or should it be expected that you drive for a few then have a short stretch of rocks then drive again? IF that makes any sense. Is there a group of people doing the blacks and reds?

Rick said:
Ben, I just saw the email notification for this thread regarding sending out emails. I thought that you would have done that since you are the "keeper of the list" for this run.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I wasn't sure if you were doing it or me but I went ahead and did it anyway.

If anyone still needs a place for this run let me know, I have a large cabin rented out and have space for 2 to 3 people if needed.

Blee1099 said:
Bah I got lots to do.. Get a new transfer case, finish my skids, buy Tig's front bumper and mount the winch. Hell t-case is definately a need and skids..

Goodness, i hope you don't have plans for the weekend!

I've got some of my exo cage built, got finish welding the rear bumper and put it back one, my explorer is in the shop as we speak getting a custom top made for it :thumbsup: I was going to take it easy for a couple of days then i started to do some wiring on my trailer brakes and notice a bunch of crap wrong with my suspension on my trailer, so i've spent about a 100 bucks on this thing and it's taking all my time, my wife is about to kill me, lol!

Mine is going in the shop Monday for all the things that I will not have time to finish this weekend. I hope it all get done. I want to spend as little time as possibe under my X next weekend.

Got bored tonight and built this. I have been reading about people using these for wheeling and thought I would give it a shot. The handle is from an old Ryobi weedeater and the cable is a hood release cable from an Explorer. I was thinking about hard mounting it but I thought it would be nice to just let it sit in my lap. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that so you don't have to mash the pedal? You can pull a trigger? If so, That would be the **** when wheeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back