Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Cruise Control Problem on '03 Sport Trac

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by dpj1j, April 18, 2006.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RICK6744

RICK6744 New Member

City, State:
      GAINESVILLE, FL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 SPORT TRACXLT
      If you jumper the plug from the switch and the cruise works it confirms that the switch is bad, I have a 2004 sport trac that had the same problem, tried many things finally jumped the plug for the front switch on the master cylinder and it solved the problem. I found the part(MOTORCRAFT SW6349) online at rockauto.com for $25 with shipping, Ford dealer wanted $50

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. rokr1292

rokr1292 Active Member

City, State:
      richardsville va
      '01 Explorer Sport Trac
      Im in the same situation as above, only I need to know if there is a way to bypass the switch temporarily, just so the shift lever is unlocked and I can make it to class for my final and a date tonight. Hoping for a quick reply somewhere, I have a 911 thread up but no replies

4. Shad747

Shad747 New Member

City, State:
      Middle Tennessee
      '05 Sport Trac XLT
      Where's the master cyl. switch located? Is it on the master cyl?

5. RICK6744

RICK6744 New Member

City, State:
      GAINESVILLE, FL
      2004 SPORT TRACXLT
      Yes,it is right in front of the reservoir for the fluid. It screws into the casting, no problem, the fluid won't leak out.
      Good luck

6. JSingleton

JSingleton New Member

City, State:
      Springfield MO
      2003 Sport Trac XLT
      i finally got my cruise control fixed it was the 40.00 switch on the master or slave cylinder i forgot which one. i walked in and bought from ford, he knew exactly what i was talking about when i said cruise control and cylinder.

7. rreid8

rreid8 New Member

City, State:
      Ontario
      2003 Explorer Sport
      Cruise issue

Had the same problem with the flashing green light on the dash and cruise wouldn't engage. Changed the sensor at the master cylinder as mentioned here for just under $50 CDN and haven't had a problem since. Thanks for the advice.

8. crewguy

crewguy New Member

City, State:
      CT
      04 Sporttrack
      Thanks for all of the advice. My lite would just flick on and then off real quick. I replaced the switch on the break master cylinder.( Motorcraft SW 6349 from rockauto ) Took a total of five minutes to replace and the problem is fixed as good as new. Sure beets paying the dealer.It was $29 and change with shipping and had it in two days.

9. graessle

graessle New Member

City, State:
      Marietta
      2004 Explorer Sport Trac
      Any advice for my 04 Sport trac? It does the same thing. i'll hit the button to engage cruise control and it will just light up and turn off after a split second. I've got it to turn on once in a blue moon but other than that no luck.

Problem Solved! it was the swith in front of the master cylinder as well. 40.00 about and cc is all good. Thanks Fellas!

10. Cpt_Radical

Cpt_Radical New Member

City, State:
      SW, MI
      '05 explorer sport trac
      About 2 years ago while on vacation, CC started to act intermittently on our '05 sport trac. Paid around $300 to Pompamo (FL) Ford for a new clock spring (their first diagnosis). CC worked for a few days, then problem returned. Blew it off until recently when I had the control switches replaced here at home. CC worked for 2 days and problem came back. Finally found this forum and ordered the master cylinder release switch from rockauto.com. It literally took longer to find my 7/8" deep socket than to change the switch! (and no loss of fluid by the way) Thank you one and all!

Cpt_Radical

11. mneccspv

mneccspv New Member

City, State:
      Portland, TN
      04 sport trac
      I basically went thrrough the same ordeal and replaced the switch on the master cylinder for the second time and now it works fine. Apparently the one the stealer installed was bad also. Goes to show that going back and double checking all the things that were supposedly fixed might still be the root of the probelm.

On a side note, I have a good control module for the taking if anyone needs it. Fits the 04 sport trac. Just pay the shipping.

12. daveinwi

daveinwi New Member

2002 Explorer XLT
      Hi all, brand new here. Was having what seems to be the usual problem this thread is talking about - Cruise not working, intermittent ABS light on. My 02 explorer has the recall harness with the 2 fuses in it. I purchased the new ford part SW-6349 (3L3Z-9F924-AB) the old switch looks exactly like the one in the picture that NCRANCHERO posted on page 2 of this thread, and the new one i rec'd looks exactly like the one resting on the brake fluid resivoir in the same picture. Problem is, the wiring connections are not the same. The new on he shows, will not plug into the old harness. The old switch & harness connection are a very sharp rectangular shape. The new switch has a smaller rounded connection. Any ideas?

13. ncranchero

ncranchero Co-moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Denver,NC
      '94 F150 4x4 SWB 4.9L
      The latest Speed Control Deactivation Switch part number is 1L1Z-9F924-AA And the 2001-2002 Sport Tracs use either the Universal Fused jumper Harness 8W7Z-14A411-C or the Fused Jumper Harness 4W1Z-14A411-BC. According to the FSA 05S28, Supplement #15 Supplement 15 has been revised slightly since this link was posted.

I would urge anyone to consult your dealerships Parts or Service Depts. to verify the correct switch and harness for your application. The switches have different pressures at which they disengage the cruise and an incorrect switch "could" contribute to an accident.

The main thing is for everyone to verify their vehicle has the harness and/or check their VIN on the Etis site I posted a link to in the "STICKIES" and see if you show the recall applicable not done.

Dave you have mail.

Last edited: January 26, 2012
    14. Devan

Devan Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      01 BoostedXPLR Sport
      Callsign:
      Devman
      I dont know if this was already stated because i didnt read the whole thread but based on what you said their dpj1j it sounds like you may have a cable or servo issue or perhaps tps isnt seeing throttle change when cruise is activated. it sounds like the system is trying to engage but shutting off immediatly because its detecting no change in throttle position which leads me to believe bad servo, bad servo module, or bad cable.

ExplorerDMB you are talking about the cruise control diagnostic self test that you have to initiate by holding the off button while in key on position then switch to key off then key on while holding the off button. when you key back on while holding the off button the cruise light should blink once letting you know your in diag mode then you press on, then resume, then coast, then set/accel. if a light blinks after each button press you know your buttons are good. after the last button press youll either get 1 flash meaning pass and then the servo test may or may not begin or you get multiple flashes which indicate a code based on the amount of flashes