and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Crunching Noise from front tire

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by '94NavajoXL, April 30, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. '94NavajoXL

'94NavajoXL New Member

City, State:
      Mission, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley
      Year and Model:
      '94 Navajo LX 4x4
      I have a 1994 Mazda Navajo LX 4x4 with auto locking hubs. I did a brake job last month, and took off the rotors to get them cut.

About a month later, I was driving in a parking lot and i noticed the passenger tire started making a crunching poping noise. When I turn to the wheel right to turn the corner the noise either stopped or quieted down. But slow driving speeds in a straight line will allow you to hear the noise.

Im pretty sure it is not the bearings, because i did them myself, but i could be wrong. I was thinking it might be a suspension part or a shock or something.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MarcHenry

MarcHenry New Member

City, State:
      Midlothian,VA
      Year and Model:
      '97 XLT V8 AWD

Sounds like it could be your ball joints man. Check that out and let me know what you find.

4. nitro71

nitro71 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Spokane WA
      Take it apart.. Something is fuggered!

5. tylergabriel

tylergabriel New Member

City, State:
      Oregon City, Oregon
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT Explorer
      are your lugnuts on tight? could be a loose wheel flappin arpound happened to me last month after doing my rotors... autozone buys there rotors fro, mexico, my treads came loose two weeks after replacing. had to replace my wheel my hub cover and rotor... hope that did not happen to you.

6. sledgehammer1990

sledgehammer1990 Active Member

City, State:
      Doylestown, PA
      Year and Model:
      '94 XLT
      I had a similar problem not to long ago. I have manual locking hubs and one was missing a spring. When I had them unlocked, the front right stayed locked in and when I made a slight turn, there would be a load clicking noise. Turn more to the right and it would go away. Drive straight it would be gone too. I would check out the hubs.