Cummins 2.8 Repower Crate motor is out. Who will be first ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cummins 2.8 Repower Crate motor is out. Who will be first ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very cool. The only thing that worries me is, if I were camping some place cold, and it wouldn't start in the morning.

I bet that it has an intake heater on it that would get it to start that is why it has a wait ti start kight.
roscoe

Nice for rockcrawling, and it probably get's better fuel economy than the 4.0 V6, but it still isn't a great motor for when you need wheel speed, in hill climbing, mud, etc.

I've considered it but not ready to put out the 8-9k for it. I have driven a Jeep with the Cummins 2.8 swap and have a few friends that are involved with the development of the engine. it is a great little motor that comes with just about everything to get it going including the wiring harness and pedal. There are 2 suppliers currently for motor mounts and adapters. The fuel economy is awesome and the power I think would be perfect for replacing the 4L.

If they are getting 25 to 28 mpg in a jeep I would think a 2wd Sport would be well over 30 maybe even 35 if its was geared properly

Some day I would really like to attempt a 12v in a square body 3+3 or burban, but for a small hunting truck this would be ideal, but the price kind of kills it for a seasonal beater.

Years back I built a Olds diesel 350 for my dad. Put it into a Olds 98 plush mobile.
Averaging about 80 from Albuquerque to OKC he got 27 mpg.

GL on the oil burner...

I want to put one in the fiancee's 1993 limited explorer as a daily driver, but i doubt the finances will ever allow it.

If you were a big diesel guy, maybe. Even with unlimited funds, I would still rather fit a 4.9L inline 6, and that has similar torque. Doesn't really matter for me, I can barely find the time to get my 4.0 back together. I'm confident it will be together this winter, knock on wood...

Back