How to: - Custom Center Console Gauge and Switch Pod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Custom Center Console Gauge and Switch Pod

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome custom pod, looks like it came that way! :thumbsup:

If I didnt have a 5 speed Id do something like this. Good job.

1 radar detector
2 JL AMP
3 600A Contactor
4 can't remember
5 PG Delay turn on board Model DD10
6 AC three.1
7 camera
8 750W Power inverter
9 Neons
10 Strobes

hooks into all of this
PICT4278.jpg

PICT4277.jpg

JESUS THAT'S ALOT OF ELECTRICAL STUFF where is it mounted???

SilverSPL - Do you get much interferance in your sat. radio or other audio by having it run so close to power lines? I'm working on a similar console project and have been concerned with putting my cb/vhf/uhf coaxles too close to power leads.

WOW! Awesome work!

It's already been said, but wow - that looks great!

I'd like to do something like that with my 04, but I don't have any uses for the switches :D I'd probably try to mount 3 or maybe 4 gauges instead of the switches.

-Melon

where did you get the plug and receiver? because i'm getting alot of switches being used and the wires are everywhere so i would like to get one of the plug and receiver setups

Hey,

Looking at the pics. Just curious, it looks like you have a *lot* of high current draw devices basically either screwed into the seat back and some add on panels with carpet tacked on. Seems a little risky, esp if you have a major failure in a component. Neatly done though.

Oh - what did you hide under the towel? lol :)

I have been lurking around a few months. I got a sweet deal on a 01 Sport Trac from my nieghbor who bought it for his son when he turned 16 to learn on. He got his son a new Dodge 1500 for graduation last year so he would have a new truck to go to college in. Any way it ws sitting for about 10 months and I told him a needed a truck since I sold my Tundra to run around in and take my son to ball games and practice.
Sorry about the link, it is just Boaters World web site. Fiberglass is a wonderful product to work with and make into anything you would like. I have been messing around with boats for ever and it is amazing what the pros can do with fiberglass. Try to find Ship Shape Boating or TV, these guys will show you a lot that can be made from scratch or molds.
Thanks for the greeting and I have leared a ton so far about new truck.
I hope I will be able to add something in the future.
Brett

Welcome to this forum! The link didn't work when I clicked onto it.

Just correct the link... If you look at it for a sec you'll see the link error at the beginning.

Or just click here ;)

To the OP.. Great job and I love how you managed the wiring. I think I'll be borrowing that. I'm starting in on a full length center console for our 67 Mustang. Will be starting it using a 2-part liquid 8Lb Polyurethane Foam to get the rough block shape. I'll then cut, sand, drill and file it into shape before hitting it with fiberglass. I haven't decided yet if I'll be painting or vinyl covering it to match the rest of the interior. I've got about a dozen switches I need to install up front as well so a few ideas gained here from you. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey,

Looking at the pics. Just curious, it looks like you have a *lot* of high current draw devices basically either screwed into the seat back and some add on panels with carpet tacked on. Seems a little risky, esp if you have a major failure in a component. Neatly done though.

Oh - what did you hide under the towel? lol :)

It was all screwed onto a 3/4" mdf wood piece covered in carpet. It's better than all shoved behind some interior panel you can't get to if something starts to fry.
Uhh nothing was under the towel. I was sitting on it when working on the board
Thanks

Back