Custom Explorer Chassis | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom Explorer Chassis

That does look great. Take care of your leg, odd metal objects often cause infections.

Not to get you too far off subject, but how easily could that rearend sub assembly be made to install into a stock 95-01 Explorer? I know other people will wonder that, and the rear suspension is the weak link of these trucks IMO. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It wouldnt really be hard at all we'll to me anyways. Set the wheel base and weld in the top crossmember and other attaching link brackets.

hey nice build, Your rendering looks almost identical to my buddys explorer, same colors and his rendering looked almost identical, very crazy. I have a 93 thats ive bagged and shaved and wut not. I cannot get over the rendering, my buddy's is purple and black, layed out on 22's. have you seen it?

lol no, just same colors and 22's he even still has I-beams... hey so are you driving your ex, while building a separate chassis? Im debating on building a whole new bodydropless chassis behind my new yota clip, or just yota clipping the truck as it is.... but its my daily so If it doesnt run, Im walking haha.

this is a customers truck. mines still being slowly built on the weekends and my daily is an 00 ranger ext cab thats bagged. ?Bodydropless chassis. do you mean a stock floor body drop or like this is being built a full custom frame but not being body dropped.

Well after some design, layout, cutting box tube, beveling all the tube edges for welding, tacking rails together, keeping up with parts orders and some other things. I finally have the main rails together I thought I would have the whole frame tacked together today but I ran into a couple issues with the Heidts rearend. Mainly I need to shorten the crossmember some so the rails fit where I want them to go and the axles clear the frame rails without having to be notched, and then I can build the rest of the rails behind the rearend. But anyways on with the pics.

normal_IMG00009-20090625-1646.jpg

normal_IMG00010-20090625-1647.jpg

Ouu looking good -- looks kinda familiar :)

Yea Its some what like a Jag but a bit beefier. Once its all done the whole rearend will just drop out with a few bolts here and there, otherwise it would be a PITA to change the brake disks later on. Its a Hiedts setup as well if you didn't see before. I think I'm still liking the cobra and t-bird IRS somewhat better as far as air ride and camber is concerned but I still have to play with the camber on this a bit to have a more solid answer.

OK I have an update from today. All of the main frame rails are tacked together now and everything is squared up and set. I had to narrow the Heidts IRS crossmember due to the fact they had allready sent me the smallest one they make. The next step will be building a rear crossmember that goes in front of the 3rd member as well as making some brackets to connect the upper pinion adjustment crossmember to the frame rails.

normal_IMG00032-20090630-1739.jpg

normal_IMG00033-20090630-1741.jpg

normal_IMG00036-20090630-1829.jpg

I finally uploaded some new pics today. The pinion crossmember is in place, I capped off the inside of the back of the frame and welded it up for the rear frame rail air tank. I also have most of the rear frame rails all welded up.

normal_IMG00037-20090702-1709.jpg

normal_IMG00043-20090709-1620.jpg

normal_IMG00047-20090709-1634.jpg

Well I did manage to get alot of the frame welded up the other day enough to the point where I could jack up the frame to test the front suspension and I'll I have to say for people not liking mustang 2 front clips over yotas is that this thing gets pretty good lift I will have to measure it once its all said and done for a total number. I have a little more stuff I have to do on the jig before I can take it off and flip it upside down to finnish a couple hard to get to welds.

Update: since I didnt like how the Heidts crossmember brackets looked I decide to cut some new ones that looked better out on teh cnc. I'm still debating on if I want to plate them or not. I also pulled the frame off the jig and brought it out side for some current full pics. I still need to adjust the rear control arms to get some rear camber. Right now its way positive.

normal_IMG00059-20090729-1342.jpg

normal_IMG00056-20090729-1341.jpg

normal_IMG00072-20090729-1639.jpg

normal_IMG00068-20090729-1635.jpg

normal_IMG00066-20090729-1634.jpg

normal_IMG00064-20090729-1634.jpg

normal_IMG00069-20090729-1637.jpg

normal_IMG00070-20090729-1638.jpg

I think this is pretty sweet!

Can't wait for it to be sittin under some sheet metal. Are you going to section or chop the body at all?

Its smashing!

Out of curioustiy (since I know nothing about street stuff): The rear suspension - I see a lower A-arm. Is there going to be an upper A-arm? If so, is there any "slip" or "slack" in the half shafts to accomodate a changing length as the suspension moves up and down?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awesome great job

Back