Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Guys...this was my weekend project. It costs about $100 for all the material -

-40 foot of 3/4" EMT conduit
-8 3/4" EMT elbows
-30 foot of 1-1/2" wide flat bar (1/4" thick metal)
-100 or so self-tapping screws
-2 cans of black spray primer
-2 cans of flat black spray paint
-Some Jack and some Coke

I spent about 8 hours total on fabricating and painting it. It is held together with bolts and self-tapping screws...no welding (too hot to weld lately anyway). It's bolted straight to the existing roof cross bars. It's sturdier than I was expecting. Plus the four 6" 100 watters on the top really pimp it out. Tell me what you think.

(edit): I still need to get some metal for the floor of the rack...maybe black diamond plate?

3.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NICE BRO!!!!!! Jack and Coke definetly the most important tool. lol

Very nice, man. It's a little too long for me. (I don't like anything covering my sunroof.) But it looks awesome so far. I would try and use the flat bar for the bottom. Might be a little lighter then diamond up there, though it would look cool. Good work :thumbsup:.

NICE BRO!!!!!! Jack and Coke definetly the most important tool. lol
I would have to agree! :D

Thanks guys. And yes, the jack and coke is the most important tool.

I had a shorter safari rack on it and I didn't like the look of it. I decided that since I was gonna make it, then I would make it to my liking. I don't mind it being over my sunroof because I can open the sunroof and rest my hand on the bar.

The only problem is that there is a little more noise up there because of the lights...a little bit of air resistance. Not a deal breaker or anything.

Flat bar would definitely be lighter than the diamond plating...plus it's not like you will really see the diamond plate up there since it's on the roof. Good suggestion.

Keep the suggestions coming guys...hehe.

Really nice I have been wanting to do the same to mine but I want to tie it in to my exoskeleton throw off road lights up there maybe two spare tires and my high lift and have room for a cooler .

Personally i would mount the lights in the rack so that they're more protected. I just cracked a lense on mine on a tree branch:(

Nice job, from what I can tell it is mounted to the factory bars, speaking from experience they will not hold! Yakima or thule or some one else makes a way stronger bar for fairly reasonable, hate to see all that work laying behind the truck I think I have a pic of mine on the ground after some light wheeling

That's nice work! What about flat metal on the sides? Wouldn't affect wind and would keep things from sliding off maybe. Also, a closer pic of the vertical bars and the corners please?

You could always use expanded metal on it. That's probably what I'll be doing with mine once I get it done

You could always use expanded metal on it. That's probably what I'll be doing with mine once I get it done

just saw the one that you made. very nice. as for mine, i havent dont anything to it except take the light bar off the top and move the 6" lights to the bumper (for now). i think i will fab up a light bar when i have the time. just been extremely busy lately. actually havent even posted anything lately. but here i am. back again and looking for other projects.

ps: am getting some 31" mts in december. cant wait to put them on.

just saw the one that you made. very nice. as for mine, i havent dont anything to it except take the light bar off the top and move the 6" lights to the bumper (for now). i think i will fab up a light bar when i have the time. just been extremely busy lately. actually havent even posted anything lately. but here i am. back again and looking for other projects.

ps: am getting some 31" mts in december. cant wait to put them on.

Good luck on the projects man post some threads when you do, I'm always looking for projects to do. Also I made some rear leaf spring shackles for $20 if you wanna check out yhe thread for that

Back