Custom lift for 5th gen?

silencingthunder

Reaction score
City, State
Helena, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ranger
12 Explr Lmtd
So far all I've seen for lift options for the 5th gen is the traxda kits. Overall I'm not impressed with that option. Doing some brainstorming on other options for fabricating my own kit. First thing that comes to mind is some sort of drop setup for the sub frame assemblies. The rear seems fairly straight forward, biggest issue I see there would be giving extra lateral support to the subframe. The front would require a bit more. From what I can see there is one motor mount that would need to be addressed, as well as steering shaft, fuel and coolant lines, lateral support, intake, exhaust, and possibly wiring. Not looking to go crazy or anything I have a ranger on 37s for that, just want to make this thing a bit more backcountry friendly. Thoughts?

Welcome to the 5th gen. Forum.:wave:
Do you have a 5th gen Explorer or are you looking to get one? No indication in your profile or signature that have one. I'm not sure if the frame is the same on all trim levels although I'm guessing it is but were you looking at any particular year and trim level (Base, XLT, etc.)?

Peter

I have a 12 Limited, as far as I know the subframes are the same at least up to the 17+, but not 100% sure. Setup on my 12 is stock minus over sized tires. Currently running Nitto Terra Grappler G2s in 265/50R20.

Back