and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Custom long arm suspension

Discussion in 'Explorer - Ranger Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits' started by Ranger Digger, May 2, 2007.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Ranger Digger

Ranger Digger Active Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger
      Well 3 and 1/2 years after swaping in my EB D44, I finally decided to build a long arm suspension before heading to Moab. This mostly came about because I needed to do some custom fabbing for my Atlas II install. So it all happened at once. It was impressive how much flex this thing has now. It would appear that the shocks and driveshaft and now the limiting factors, but I doubt I will change anything anytime soon. Next step would likely be coilovers. Anyway here are some pics:

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the modified tranny crossmember to clear the radius arms
      [​IMG]

Completed arms with belly pan
      [​IMG]

FLEX!
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. colindo94

colindo94 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Cameron Park, CA
      Year and Model:
      94' XLT
      WOW. That thing is awsome. Nice work man

4. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Huntington Beach, CA
      Year and Model:
      2010 XLT
      Turned out great. This truck keeps getting better every time you post up. :thumbsup:

How much did you extend the arms?
      Did the bed work out the way you planned, or is there anything you would change after wheeling with it?

5. Ranger Digger

Ranger Digger Active Member

City, State:
      Denver, CO
      Year and Model:
      '93 Ranger
      The arms are extended about 22", this is twice the extension that the Duff arms have. I also used Johnny Joints instead of heims.

The bed works good as long as I'm not in the mud, then mud is on everything. I would leave the roll bar but completely redo the fenders and add some sort of tailgate. Although while in Moab I would have crushed the bed had it still been there, so the new fenders did do their job and the roll bar saved the corner of the cab from being crushed as well.