Cut rear fenders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cut rear fenders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

*quarter panels.

Cut them how?
What are you trying to accomplish?

It would really help people help you if you gave more detail about where on the fender you want to trim, where the tires are rubbing, etc. I have 35" tires and have not had to trim the rear fenders. I did knock the front edge in a little to keep them from rubbing. Used a 2x4 and a hand sledge. There is not enough space behind the rear doors to do any trimming. I also cut the bottom chrome part behind the fender off to add sides to the bumper.

It was mostly rubbing behind the rear tire but does rub the lip of the wheel well a little bit. I have looked around and it seems pretty common to cut the back off flush with that body line. Im gonna cut that and I will roll the front like you said with the 2x4 and see if I can fold the lip of the wheel well in. My 35s are mounted on 15x10 inch wheels with 3 inches of backspacing. I' gonna get some 15x8 with 3.75 backspacing so that should help to. Do you have any pics of what you did to yours?

I cut the back fenders straight along the body line at the top of the chrome trim behind the fenders. I did that at least ten years ago. I have 15x8.5 wheels with lots of room at the back half of the fender, just not the front. When I go to 37's, I am going to have to move the axle back 1". Should still clear the back of the fender fine.

Here are a couple of pics of both sides, near max flex for the rear. I took these right after I finished the SAS. You can see where I trimmed the rear fenders, and also where I took a lot off the back side and a little off the front side of the front fenders.
IMG_20141209_162034_328.jpg
IMG_20141209_162144_490.jpg

Back