CV Axle Replacement How To (Pictures) | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV Axle Replacement How To (Pictures)

this is another project i will do when funds are available

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front end popping

so i have replaced my entire rack and pinion(outer TRE to outer TRE), upper control arms and lower ball joints on both sides, shocks all the way around and i still have a popping sound upon take-off from a dead stop or when i hit minor bumps in the road at any speed. any suggestions what to replace now? swaybar and end link bushings look like they may be shot so thats already planned for next week. could it be my cv half shafts making this noise? tranny rebuilt last year, mounts are new, and its definately coming from the front suspension area.

Try turning your wheels all the way to one side, then listen. If you hear a "click-click-click" its your Cv axle. Also look at the rubber boots, if they are torn, replace.

front end popping re:

my EX only pops(more like a knock) right at take-off from a dead stop or at any pace when driving and you hit the slightest bump or dip in the road. i have had my friends bounce it in the front and back and we couldnt reproduce the popping so i could pin-point the location of it. it dont clack clack clack when turning but anytime the weight comes off the front it will knock. and i dont know if this has any bearing but my rack squeaks when turning left to right either stnding still and sometimes at slow speeds could i have a bad rack? i think the mech that last worked on it screwed me over with a used rack!!

You sure thats your rack making that noise and not the inner or outer tierod? Might be balljoints as well.
For the other noise, take a good look at your front driveshaft.

all ball joints are new from the box i opened and installed them, "new rack" from what i thought was a good reliable mechanic installed, upper control arms on both sides replaced by me new from box, shocks new from box replaced by me, the only things i havent done really are the swaybar bushings front and back (which i can see are a lil shrunk up) or the cv half shafts(have not inspected these yet) other than that im lost i dont know what else i can replace to get this knock/popping to stop im going crazy as you can not only hear it but feel it in your feet everytime it happens,.. it pops/knocks so hard sometimes you can hear it over my subs at full blast(not saying its that loud all the time just sometimes.

You don't mention if/when the inner and outer tierods were replaced. That could be the source of the squeak.
As Stated before, take a close look at your front driveshaft, as that can cause a clunk on acceleration. you could also double check your sway bar links, the mounting bolts for the rack, mounting bolts from the front diff to the frame on both sides, and your transmission mount on the crossmember.

hey, I just replaced my drivers side cv axle and now I get a mid pitched whine at low speeds and what seems like a rubbing sound at higher speeds. anybody have any ideas on whats up with it? did I get a lemon cv axle? or is there something else that might cause this?

Update:

So I changed the front sway bar and end link bushings last night and now no more knocking on takeoff or on minor bumps in the road!!! All it took was 2 $15.99 sway bar link sets from Autozone and the 2 $32.99 frame bushings and about an hr to tear it down and remount. But i still have a whine from the front. I inspected around the front diff(no leaking), outer tie rod ends are in good shape still, and i noticed for some reason my pass. upper and lower ball joints/driverside lower arent seated properly but were in place when I did them. Should i go ahead and remove the hub and try to reset them when i replace my driverside cv half shaft and hub bearings this weekend?

Question, my CV seal has sprung a leak on the passenger side and this write up will be very useful the only thing I don't see is the seal mentioned, is the seal a press-in or what kind? We added some gear oil, but this will need to be fixed soon-ish. Thanks

Question, my CV seal has sprung a leak on the passenger side and this write up will be very useful the only thing I don't see is the seal mentioned, is the seal a press-in or what kind? We added some gear oil, but this will need to be fixed soon-ish. Thanks

Not really sure what you are talking about, but here goes anyway.
You added gear oil to the differential because the rubber boot on the CV is leaking? Lets hope the oil was added to the diff and not poured into the Axle. Doing so would be much like pouring oil on the ground and would have no effect on the CV. The CV is internally greased, then the rubber boot is attached, essentially keeping the grease applied to the joint from getting ejected out of the joint. If the boot gets ripped, it will spew the grease out of it and the axle will not last much longer.
There is a seal between the CV shaft and the differential. If that is leaking oil, it should be replaced soon and it would be best to check the front diff fluid level frequently and maintain the proper fluid level.
There is one other spot that you may be referring to, and that is the "dust excluder" which is not a required part and I would actually go as far as to say it is just a pain in the butt. What happens over time is that it separates from the CV (If it was ever there in the first place) and makes noise.

Not really sure what you are talking about, but here goes anyway.
You added gear oil to the differential because the rubber boot on the CV is leaking? Lets hope the oil was added to the diff and not poured into the Axle. Doing so would be much like pouring oil on the ground and would have no effect on the CV. The CV is internally greased, then the rubber boot is attached, essentially keeping the grease applied to the joint from getting ejected out of the joint. If the boot gets ripped, it will spew the grease out of it and the axle will not last much longer.
There is a seal between the CV shaft and the differential. If that is leaking oil, it should be replaced soon and it would be best to check the front diff fluid level frequently and maintain the proper fluid level.There is one other spot that you may be referring to, and that is the "dust excluder" which is not a required part and I would actually go as far as to say it is just a pain in the butt. What happens over time is that it separates from the CV (If it was ever there in the first place) and makes noise.

Thats where I was talking about. What type of seal is it? The CV boot looks brand new.

Front differential axle seal, available at any auto parts store worth a damn.
Which side is leaking?

Yes, they are press in seals. I used a huge socket to drive it in. Theres a chunk of rubber that sticks out from the seal and you have to get that rubber piece inside the socket.
I had the entire diff out of the truck at the time I did them, the drivers side is a little easier than the passengers side due to the seal size.
I had to get a socket/seal driver big enough for it.

Be very gentle with those seals. There is a spring in it to apply some pressure on the seal to the axle. That spring will come out if the seal is pinched or pried on much. Install the seal without touching the rubber portion where the spring is.

I've got a 1997 Explorer 4x4. I may have to do a wheel bearing at the same time as my CV axle. Does anyone know if the CV axle will pull through the spindle with the wheel bearing off? I saw some comments about that in earlier replies, but it wasn't clear if it would or wouldn't on my Explorer.

nope it will not

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 1997 Explorer 4x4. I may have to do a wheel bearing at the same time as my CV axle. Does anyone know if the CV axle will pull through the spindle with the wheel bearing off? I saw some comments about that in earlier replies, but it wasn't clear if it would or wouldn't on my Explorer.

It seems like it could, but the biggest issue is removing the bolts that hold on the hub bearing assembly. They are difficult to remove with the cv axle in place. IMO, its just as easy to knock the knuckle loose at the top and give yourself plenty of room.

Back