for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

CV Joint on front drive shaft question...

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by kidakat, September 17, 2009.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. kidakat

kidakat New Member

City, State:
      Whitney Point, NY
      Year and Model:
      '97 Sport
      I don't have much experience with CV Joints (since I have not had to replace them in my '97 Explorer Sport), but I suspect that time has arrived.

I recently swapped out my transfer case due to problems with the original one. When I was putting things back together, I noticed that the CV Joint on the front drive shaft would separate from the rest of the shaft if I tugged on it lightly. This would allow the end with the bolts to turn free of the actual drive shaft.

I'm pretty sure (but not positive) that this is a sign that I have to replace it. Can somebody confirm this for me? In the mean time, I decided to drive it with no front drive shaft, but winter is coming and I'm going to need it.

Assuming that I do in fact have a problem here, can I just replace the CV on the end of the drive shaft, or do I have to get an entirely different drive shaft/CV assembly?

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.