Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...no power, no wirrrrr...jet chip....
...i am with cyber as i am following him home from truckhavenin since he has no shock and lost the coil once this morning....we are in palm desert....as soon as we got on the 10 freeway he lost all power to engine systems only...
...we pulled a plug, no spark, no fuel pump noise, no check engine light, pulled the kick panel and he has a jet chip that was half out....we tried several times with chip in, out, reset by unplugging battery cables, checked all possible connections, nothing works...:scratch:
...anybody have an answer to this problem and think it's something other than computer...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the inertia safety switch! lower passanger firewall in cab.

Me and the pilot were just talking about this last night over the fire:D

....thanks guys...
...heres an up date...we got a room in palm desert...tried to read codes with a jumper, got check engine lite finally and seat belt lite with no key in and the check engine lite is constant with no key...when the key is in, no jumper, we get battery lite, rear anti-lock, and seatbelt only...
...worse comes to worst, we are renting a truck and trailer to get her home...all ideas posted tonight we are trying first thing in the a.m., again thanks to all as we need the input...we are still leaning to the computer since the jet chip was kinda hanging out and the computer smells a little burnt inside...

To add to this i was driving up 86 and felt the engine die and restart again only lasted a split second even the tach drop to zero and everything went back to normal so I kept driving and after we got on I-10 my truck dropped dead like someone flipped a light switch. no warnings no nothing
then i noticed that the Check engine was not coming on but everything else is normal stuff like lights radio etc are all working fine.

Jump that starter!

Jump that starter!

No it not the starter it's working just fine in fact the battery has even gone dead from all the cranking we have been doing on it and we have been doing alot of cranking the engine over :confused:

Hummm...Mine did the same sorta thing after my motor swap.

Check you main wire that is on the passenger side. Its a huge electrical connection. Main part of the wiring harness.

Every now and then my temp gague will quit working i just get out the channel locks and tighten the connection. Works every time

...burns, at the computor or in the engine bay???

Engine bay.

I will be the biggest connnection under the good. Prob a good 1.75. to 2.00 inches around

...no. 5 fuse is full hot one side and half hot the other...no. 13 fuse dead...bought new/used computer no luck...truck smells like burnt electrical inside...can't find a trailer to rent for miles and only can find trucks so we are trying to get her running...any help would be appreciated...on battery only for laptop...will check in 15 minutes, thanks...

Theft light blinking?

You might need the pats module and ignition switch with keys from the truck you stole the PCM from--I'm not sure

...sorry no, it's a first gen....
....we just got told the freeways home are closed to fires in banning and riverside...:eek:

Crap. I'm pretty close to Banning....

Holy crap... this trip is going to go down in EF history as having the most carnage, AFTER the run:eek:

Good luck to ya... I wish I could offer advice, but I am not that familiar with the computer system:(

Don't any of you have AAA:confused: I just extend mine to the 100 mile for things like this.

This going to sound stupid...but does it have gas?:D

the cat can get clogged and it will kill the truck, my mom had that happen to her 89 350 once.

does that thing have the stupid flat sensor thing on the back of the disributor. Not sure but the B2 would't start when mine went out.

Start checking your spark and fuel, and track it down.

or just leave his truck in a parkinglot for the day, and go home and get a trailer

...as in post #1 all that was checked...post 13 has the current diagnostics and i hate wiring harnesses....we are pulling the dash apart to try and find a wire we can smell burning...as for AAA i have it nd i tried that last night, his truck has temp sticker and it didn't fly ith AAA...i actually am not as dumb as i look, i got AAA plus,...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

he is trying to get ahold of his buddy who hauled his truck from ariz...i think i have done as much as my knowledge will let me...i still try not to leave anyone stranded but sometimes it's tuff...;)

Back