Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

D-Ranged

Discussion in 'Offroad Projects' started by josh40601, January 19, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. RangerX

RangerX Elite Ranger Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Omao, Kauai
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '93 Ranger XLT 4X4
      Where in the Hell did you find 37" MTRs? I thought they stopped making them! Did you find a used set?

So what's keeping the front front flexing more? Soild axle, coilovers, ya should have more, it seems... :dunno:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Keeper0311

Keeper0311 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Riverside, CA
      2000 XLT 4x4
      Dude you Ranger has moved along awesomely! Wish my Explorer could progress nearly as quickly as Ranger has.

4. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      Thanks buddy. Just give it time. You will get it there.

Bill, I'm not sure. I am thinking the spring rates are still a little off and the arms are too short. I am going to put longer primary coils in and adjust the slider stops, and may redo the arms, but that is still up in the air.

I;m doing the doubler build right now, and i will have to build a new crossmember, so i may do that at the same time. I'll definitely keep you guys posted though.

As far as the 37 MTRs, they are used. They were 95 on 2, and like 65 on the other 2. They are on a 17" wheel. If you go to a 16.5 wheel, you will be able to get 37's all day long from the surplus places

5. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...No drive shaft failure so that's good news...:D

...Where did you get the doubler parts from, D and D?

6. DB_1

DB_1 Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Quinta, Ca.
      97 SC Ranger xlt
      Good to see you're making the most of your stay out west, I can't wait to get back out on the trails.

7. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      yea i am trying to! We are leaving September 19th, so the Labor Day Weekend Rubicon run is the last rock crawling trip for ol D here. After that, she goes back to KY and i am removing all the "Rock Crawling" parts. I'm leaving the coil overs, OBA, and SAS, but the lockers, doubler, and hydro assist will all be coming off and most likely going on the new crawler. I am working a deal with the owner right now, so we will see how it pans out.

Actually that DS is sitting in the garage, lol. It is going to be used as the front doubler shaft.

The kit did come from Duffy. It took almost a month, a paypal claim, and NUMEROUS phone calls to get it.

8. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...I've noticed he hadn't been around Pirate much either...I've pm'd him a few times to see about ordering one but no reply either...

..:scratch:...You know, you might be better off leaving that doubler with me...I'll take good care of it..:p:

9. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      He is building a house, so he never answers his phone. If you want the kit, text his cell phone. That is the fastest way to get a response from him. Just make sure you text him EXACTLY what you are wanting, not just, "Hey Duffy, can i get a quote on something" or something like that. PM me if you need his cell number, or check on TRS in the RBV Doubler thread. Andrew posted his number in the very last post before he closed the thread.

I am working with Kyle and Dan from NWF and Ruff Stuff to try and get one of them to build the kit. We will see where that goes

10. Tbars4

Media:
      City, State:
      anaheim hills,california
      95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
      ...That would be cool if someone else starts making them too..Ballistic was going to and a couple weeks ago they replied that it's not in their plans now..:rolleyes:

...Anyway's, Hope to see you again before you leave...:wavey:

11. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Huntington Beach, CA
      1997 XLT
      I'm liking the new wheels and 37s better. It's looking good!

I need a job so I can start my Ranger...

12. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      Yea, that annoyed me and actually turned me away from Ballistic that they ignored us for almost 2 years before replying with that "Very much still in business, just do not want to take on this project".

Because we know it would SOOO hard to copy DD's kit, (Which is a damn nice kit BTW :D) then add their little Ballistic Skull in the center of the doubler plate, and call it a day. :rolleyes:

Hopefully Kyle at NWF will come through. He said he was looking for new products, and i sent him the thread showing there is plenty of interest, and i offered to get any measurements he may need.

13. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      How the F can you afford to live in HB without a J-O-B??

I thought you had an explorer? and an F150?

14. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      1350 Crawlbox build

To do this, you will need 2 main components...

Borg-Warner 1350M transfer Case
      [​IMG]

DD Machine Doubler Kit
      [​IMG] (disreguard the Compressor and Jeep filler neck:rolleyes:)

First thing to do is break open the 1350. Best thing to do is take the front yoke off and put the case in 2wd or neutral. To get the yoke off the front, I used an impact and a big pair of channel locks to hold the yoke while i spun the nut off.

Once it is off, just simply remove all the bolts from the outside (15mm) and pull the top off.
      [​IMG]

^Note: The picture above shows the chain removed already. To do this, you will have to take off the snap ring from the gear that drives the front shaft. Its a PIA, but once it is off, the chain, shift rail, and the large shaft come right out.

[​IMG]

Once you have these out of the way, open up your DD kit, and grab the smaller shift fork.
      [​IMG]

Put it in the hole where the old one came out.
      [​IMG]

Next you will have to address the pressed in stub on the side of the case.
      [​IMG]

You can try and pull it out or whatever, I just took a 4 1/2" cut off wheel to it. Then i took the grinder with a well used 36 grit flap wheel around the lip to clean up any crap, but not staying on any spot so i wouldn't eat into the metal.
      [​IMG]

Our next step is to lay the doubler plate on the case half you will be using and use 3 of the grade 5 bolts included in the kit to hold the plate.
      [​IMG]

Break out your handy dandy marker and mark where you want to cut. I gave a little slack that i cleaned up with the grinder, but we will get there.
      [​IMG]

Then i used my grinder with the cut off wheel to cut most of the case. There are ribs that go farther than my wheel did, so I simply broke out the sawzall and finished the cut.
      [​IMG]

Next is to "clean up" the cut until you are satisfied.
      [​IMG]
      ^Note: I again used my well worn 36 grit flap wheel to handle all my grinding needs. Although it took a little while, the end result is great.

As you can see, there is a rather large hole that i highly doubt will keep fluid in the case. To address this hole, there are 2 alluminum blocks included in the kit. Just an FYI, they don't fit. At all. You have to cut down about 3/8" and do some finish grinding to get them to fit.
      [​IMG]

Here is where a decision needs to be made. With me running this in my truck for a couple months then pulling it and installing in the new crawler, I don't want it to leak, so i opted to take the crawlbox to a weld shop here in town and have them weld the blocks into the cut down case. You can also follow my other buddy's lead and just use Form-A-Gasket
      [​IMG]

Once i get the CB back from the shop, I will edit this post to show the rest of the process.

15. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      delete

Last edited: July 25, 2011
    16. FROADER

FROADER Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Huntington Beach, CA
      1997 XLT
      It's tough, but I had a bunch saved up. I sold the explorer to another member at Truckhaven in Oct of '09. I got the F-150 a few months before that. The ranger is stuck in the garage until I get a job and can afford to build it with the D60 and Sterling 10.5 sitting in the backyard.

Click My Ranger in my sig for the thread.

Doubler is looking good. That's definitely in the plans for mine.

17. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      so you are going the SAS route and not the prerunner route. Good idea :)

18. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      well, while the T-Case is at the shop being welded up, I went and worked on D doing a lot of the little things that i have been trying to not pay attention to. With me turning this one back into a DD after the Rubicon, I want to get as much knocked out as possible.

First, the A/C. The A/C hasn't worked for almost 2 years, so i replaced everything in the system other than the condensor. Heater Core, compressor, lines, and acumulator. Now it works like a charm.

Second was the rough running.... I had no idea what this was. I assumed the new top end had smoked the bottom end of the engine and i would just have to limp it until KY. I was wrong. When i pulled off my gangster-ass Autozone intake tube, i noticed that the radiator hose clamp had cut a hole in the tube. So i figured, this might not help, but it sure couldn't hurt to cover up that little hole. Slapped some electrical tape on, WAH-LAH!! Runs better now than EVER.

3. Jeep thingy. The one I snagged at the JY was plastic, and my buddy Mike from KY sent me one that he had that was alluminum. I like it better, so i took the old one out, put the new filler neck in, and painted the alluminum Jeep Thingy hammered black. Mounted everything up and very pleased with how much better it looks.

4. Passenger Window Motor. The passenger side window motor went out, so i had to replace it. After getting the new one in, I realized the old one was held in with rivets. So i ground them done, knocked them out, and installed the new motor. When i was installing the glass, i over tightened one of the bolts i used to put it all back together and shattered the glass. Dumbass. So i had to go to the border and get a window, then get it installed.

5. Header Panel. When i took the truck to Maaco, they didn't remove the grille to paint the header panel, so it was still red. Which is ugly and annoyed me, so i took the grille out, used my "close enough Yellow" spray paint and gave the header panel a fresh coat.

After the header panel dried, I decided to put my FX4 grille back on instead of the chrome one. I like it. All black and yellow now, minus the lights, which i will do one of these days.

Drove the truck to work today, and it runs so much better than before. Hopefully i will pull better than 14.6 MPG now....

Here are some pics of the finished product....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. specialized7

specialized7 Active Member

City, State:
      saskatoon
      99 SPORT
      This is one of my faviourite rangers. Good job buddy!

20. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      Thank you!! That is awesome that it's one of your favorites.

21. PAshooter

PAshooter Member

City, State:
      Altoona,PA
      2000 Ranger
      I think your ranger is one of alot of peoples favorites. Its awesome.

22. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      wow man, thanks so much!

23. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      Worked on the truck last night for ENTIRELY too long. Took some 3/16" hot rolled and cut it down to match the frame. This is entirely too thick for what i needed, 1/16" would have sufficed. Whatever. Anyway, with the fuel lines and wiring running along that side, i wanted to be sure i didn't burn into them, so i kept a spray bottle close and soaked everything with water. The welder did not like this. As you can see below, my welds look like shit (what else is new) but they penetrated good enough.

Anyway, i mounted the air tank on the frame. I type too much

Pictures.

My gangster welds
      [​IMG]

side shot
      [​IMG]

Then i took some sheet metal and mounted the air chuck or whatever its called.
      [​IMG]

Last edited: March 30, 2016
    24. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      Another update!

Just picked the doubler back up from the weld shop. Going up to my buddy's to build the crossmember and install the whole mess this weekend. There will be pics.

25. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      Update~

Well, i had a busy ass weekend...... DOUBLER IS IN!

Now that is out of the way, time for the fun....

This thing was a bitch. It didn't want to go in. At all. Fought me and my buddy every chance it got.

Here is the end product as of today...
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. josh40601

josh40601 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      La Mesa, CA
      Ranger & Explorer
      also messed around under the hood.

The hood latch from the 05 edge was just bolted on the core support and was always flopping around, so i decided to permenantly attach it to its new home.

First i just tacked in on there so it would stop moving.
      [​IMG]

Then i burned everything in. was pretty thin, so i burnt through twice, but filled it back in. Still look like boogers, but at least they're penetrating...
      [​IMG]

Ground it down, slapped some satin black on it. Called it good
      [​IMG]