for access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

D30 Scout vs Jeep

Discussion in 'Offroad Drivelines' started by Heath, August 5, 2003.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Heath

Heath Elite Moderator Intoxicator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rigby, ID
      Year and Model:
      00 Excursion (THE BUS)
      Can anyone tell me the difference between the widths of the D30 coming out of a scout vs coming out of a jeep??? I've possibly found a killer deal on a D30 out of a scout...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Trckmagik

Trckmagik Ole Bag Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Celina, Texas
      Year and Model:
      Is the pumkin on the correct side???? :rolleyes:

4. Heath

Heath Elite Moderator Intoxicator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Rigby, ID
      Year and Model:
      00 Excursion (THE BUS)
      He says it is... The only two drawbacks so far are that its a LP and he dosen't know the gearing thats in it...

5. Hotweels

Hotweels Active Member

City, State:
      Calgary,AB
      Year and Model:
      '92 EB
      This was the only scout info i could find but i think its refering to a D44

Vehicle: '71-80 Scout II rear, '74-80 front
      Bolt pattern: 5 on 5.5", which allows wheel-swapping with any CJ if you need to borrow or lend a spare.
      Width: 58" front, 58.5" rear -- 1.5-2" narrower than a YJ. That's not a big problem in the rear, but it'll reduce turning radius up front. Less wheel backspacing compensates for this.
      Brakes: 11" rear drums. What size front? Rear hard line junction is on opposite side of axle from YJ. Front brake line fitting is larger than YJ lines.
      Spline count: 30
      Caster: 0 degrees '71-79, 3 degrees in '80. A YJ wants about 7 degrees, so you'd have to rotate the knuckles on the axle tubes.
      Other: Scout fronts have the diff very wide on the passenger side. This involves grinding to change the spring perch, and requires a t-case swap on YJ's. Tie rod mounting holes need to be redrilled closer to knuckles to regain a tight turning radius. Both rear axle shafts are the same length, necessitating only one spare, but the rear pinion is still offset 1.25" to the right, which matches the stock YJ. Going rate is around $100-200 for the rear. Lars swapped Scout D44's under his SOA YJ.

6. mrboyle

mrboyle I Drive By Brail Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Montrose, CO
      Year and Model:
      '95 Bronco '80 Toy
      STAY AWAY from it. From what info I can find it is a very week (worse than the Jeep D30) front end hat was only used for a couple years in the early '70's. It has drum brakes, a 2100lb rating and the pumpkin is on the right side (as in not correct for the explorer)