R.J.

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
La Habra Hts, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
90 Bronco II
sooooooooooo who wants to help me swap my engine and transmission? :D

so i flipped my daily driver explorer on its side, being cheaper to buy a new explorer and swap engine and trans (trans rebuilt 15,000 miles ago). so thats the plan.

old explorer
102_2337.jpg

102_2340.jpg

new explorer (good body, blown head gasket)

102_2348.jpg

102_2349.jpg

102_2350.jpg

still haven't flipped the offroad explorer though :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kinda off-topic but in that last pic there is a black center piece on the wheel. What is that from? I had the original silver ones all the way around and one day notice a black one like that. I had it in the shop a few days before I noticed so I always figured they did something. Just curious.

im pretty sure its the same center peice, but the silver part that goes on it fell off. cause the silver part of it is just kinda clipped on to the black

If it's just a head gasket, why don't you just rebuild that motor? That sounds, like the best route to go. I've had mine apart and it was pretty easy to do.

yeah its not to hard, i've done it too. my engine ran pretty good and i recently had the transmission rebuilt, it still has a year left on the worranty. the black truck has 180,000 miles on it and i don't know the history of the trans. i trust my old engine and trans more, and to replace the head gasket would run me about $500.

I'd just drive your old explorer who cares about the body :p or just buy a gallon tub of bondo and slap it on there! lol... much cheaper... Oh yeah, you could tape a garbage bag over the window there :)

Anyways, you could get a gasket set for probably like 125$ at Napa or something, it'd be much easier/faster then swapping the whole engine but you seem to want to do the engine and tranny job no matter what anyone else says so :p

I can't help, swapping engine and trannys is out of my league

:scratch: :scratch: I see i am not the only one looking for help around here:shifty_ey

Wow...An explorer that looks just like mine same color and pinstripe combination:thumbsup:

I'd just drive your old explorer who cares about the body :p or just buy a gallon tub of bondo and slap it on there! lol... much cheaper... Oh yeah, you could tape a garbage bag over the window there :)

he should swap motors becuase buying the black one he scored 4x4:thumbsup: The white one is a 4x2

Somehow, everyone missed this. What the hell is a picture of a GM product doing here? I'm sure your old Explorer could have pulled the new one home, even after rolling!!!

Seriously, glad you're OK, good luck with the transfer!

Mike

Explorers deserve to be chauffeured (sp?) around every once and awhile.

come on, its a gmc yukon xl denali, its a pretty nice ride :) don't get to crazy about makes, they're all cars and they all work, but i like ford and thats what chose to drive (even now im drving a 1990 taurus wagon for $200 adn a bad rod knock)

the white ex drive fine, the only reason i don't drive it is because the front window, if i get a fix it ticket ill have to pay it cause i don't plan on fixing that window :/ the a pillar is really bent pretty good adn the lowest price i found with a body shop to fix that alone is $600. then i would need a new door, window, and the back end would still be all messed up. so it made more sense to me to get a different ex and swap/fix it.

i bought the black one for $700. fixing the head gasket would be easier, and the gasket set isn't to much money, but then you need new head bolts, get the heads checket and surfaced, and it'll prolly have a cracked head adn ill need to buy a new one. the main reason im not fixing the head gasket is that the truck has 180,000 mls on the transmission,the white only has 15,000 mls on it

In case you missed it (and apparently you did), I was trying to be funny. Sorry it didn't work... ;)

Mike

Somehow, everyone missed this. What the hell is a picture of a GM product doing here? I'm sure your old Explorer could have pulled the new one home, even after rolling!!!

Seriously, glad you're OK, good luck with the transfer!

Mike

I had to do the same thing when i brought home my Explorer from Phoenix Arizona which was use my buddies lifted Tahoe

cybergasm_129.jpg

In case you missed it (and apparently you did), I was trying to be funny. Sorry it didn't work... ;)

Mike

aww man i feel kinda dumb, cause thats the same type of thing i would joke about haha. but some people really get serious about there fords and stuff :rolleyes: ok now i get, its funny ok haha. but actualy you are right, the rolled ex could've towed the black one home if it really wanted to

well of course that entered my mind too, but would that be harder or easier? do'nt people swap engine's and trans's all the time?

your transmission will need the 4x4 tailhousing, or you will want to eliminate the 4x4 on the new black truck......

yes! my days here are complete. 410 fortune gave me some advice :)

i don't need 4x4 for driving on the street. so if it would be easier to make it 4x2 then i might do that. can i just take the tail housing off the 4x4 and put it on the 4x2 tranny, or is that mucho grande work?

410 give me lost of info :D you always have knowledge

im thinking i might just replace the head gasket for now, and later try to swap trans

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both the white and black have good tires too......4 spares!!!!

Back