• Register Today It's free!

Dana 35 Axle Info Help Wanted

SupaSwope

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer 5.0 RWD
I am in need of a front 4x4 axle (dana 35) for my explorer. Was going to the junkard tomorrow. I was told to try and get one off of a v6 from a member here for less wear and as new as possible.

Do all Dana 35 axles have 27 splines? My hubs and cv axle are setup for 27 and was wondering if They were all the same. Also. up to what year can I go up to getting a fron axle? I was told maybe 2004? even 2011 maybe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, the 95+ 2nd gen front diff, is the same for Explorers to 01, and 02, 03 Sports, plus the Rangers that have the torsion bar front springs. I don't know those years for sure, my guess 98-2010 is close.

The 4WD V6's should almost all be 4.10's, is that what you're hunting? I've got a line on a 75k 3.73 that I haven't been able to meet up with the guy for ages. A good low mileage unit is best, finding someone who can build them well is tougher to do.

I am going after 3.73. It was recommend my a member on here to try and get it out of a V6 because it would have less wear. I was not sure what ratio is more common with the v6.

Its 50% at the junkyard tommorow for a super bowl sale. So I should be able to walk out the door for under $70. I just want to make sure I get a good one this time. The one I got at the last AYCC sale was trash and had exploded.

A V8 diff would be just fine. They don’t have that much power, and they will all be 3.73s. If take a low mileage v8 over a higher mileage v6 any day

Gotcha, Either way I am going to open it up this time.

A V8 diff would be just fine. They don’t have that much power, and they will all be 3.73s. If take a low mileage v8 over a higher mileage v6 any day

Ditto, engine makes no difference. Get one that you perceive as being taken care of better, lower mileage, higher optioned, cleaner well cared for etc.

The ring/pinion and differential bearings can last indefinitely, if cared for very well. High quality gear oil, changed more often and not letting axle bearings or seals wear out, keeps the center section lasting for ages. Mine have no issues with the diff's, using Amsoil Severe Gear and replacing axle bearings and seals before 100k mile intervals. Do those at 50k-100k, depending on usage. It's cheap versus servicing any diff.

So turns out it wasnt 50%. With core trade I paid about $135 with one year warrenty.

Got it out of a 98 V8 EB with about 218K. Lowest milage 3.73 I could find in explorers. Outside has some orange-ish surface rust but it turns smooth and fluid wasnt horrible, still red-ish. Seals were not bad either, bearings looked good. I think its been serviced at least once.

Is replacing the Seals and Bearings easy? Is it like a normal axle where you replace them from the outside? They sell them on rockauto?

The seals are high, about $30 or so from Ford. Those should be replaced, I've never done those outer torrington bearings though. I have those in my Amazon wish list, they do carry them, not bad priced. The seals have typical springs inside of them, be very careful installing the bearings and inserting the axles, not to dislodge the spring. The seal will leak quite a bit without the spring in place, even a new seal.

Thanks, that's a good source for the part numbers. I've bought those AWD dust shield, they call them shields. Those seem to now come on all CV shafts, which is great. I had to get them in 2004 and 05, and they aren't simple to put on without knowing where they go. If you get them too far outboard, or if new axles have them placed outboard too far, they rub on the back of the hub, and melt away. They need to be close but not touching, all they do is keep dust/dirt etc, from the back of the bearings.

Do they sell just the shields? You know where to get them?

The last four CV axles I've bought came with them already. The two I bought was from Ford, in about 2005. I think I might have gotten one more as a spare, but no clue where it might be. Sorry,

Are they rubber or metal?

I was looking at pictures. Are they the rubber cap that slides over the metal spline piece?

Rubber on a steel ring. The dust shield I call it slides onto the CV axle housing, the large outer part. The axles I've bought they seem firmly in place, I've never moved them. The first two ages ago that I had to put those on, it only took hand pressure to push them far enough. I used the old axles to measure how far they go on.

BTW, some of the spindles have a metal "cup" part up inside the back, which is where the dust shield rides next to or against. Not all spindles have that, and my Ford parts guy ordered two of those by mistake. I think I got those also, but never used them. That was an all metal part.

I have decided to order new front axle outer bearings, seals, hubs, and half shaft axles with seals and be sure everything seals up good and will last a long time.

Hopefully within the next month I can order the parts, get a warranty replacement on some moog upper ball joints that I ordered off rock auto that were no good and ruined 2 tires. Put those on and install the new front drive train( Front Diff/ Axles/Knuckles) and get my alignment redone all at once.

Then I move on to the rest of my swap in OG thread.

Thanks for all the help.

That's a good plan, best fluids and regular parts replacement, stuff can last forever.

I've rebuilt the front parts of my three trucks in three methods, three levels etc. Mine have done well each way. I prefer to do as much as possible at once, reduce the labor and time in total. I'm about to do my 99 truck again, and my Mercury again(to swap the 12" rotor spindles on from the 99, and replace the parts I took to do my other 98). The hubs and BJ's are the weakest links, the rest are good for about 100k easily. At this age though, it's about all ready to get done. Have fun, analyze it all well. The rack is still only $150 from Ford, rebuilt units, so check it out well.

Back