Dana 44 Identity? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 Identity?

You guys can weld on a little roller where the tire hits the radius arms & that should save some tire wear.

Just weld on two little tabs with a length of solid bar between with some slightly bigger tube slid over the bar to act as the roller. Position it where the tire hits the radius arm.

Attachments

• RA roller.JPG
    RA roller.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 300

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are the 35's in that pic ( Pre -J.P.) You can see the tire on the ground is almost rubbing, now think of a inch more tread.

I was also told my truck was to clean on the bottom:p:

I was also told my truck was to clean on the bottom:p:

yes, much cleaner, I guess rollover pics are a great way to look at suspension setups.

q6.jpg

Well, the plan (which seems to change on a weekly basis) was to use the F-150 radius arms I already have with the passenger side wristed. Keep the axle full width, move the wedgies in three inches per side so its at stock Early Bronco width so it lines up with the frame rails. Then instead of using coils and shocks, throwing some coil over's in there. Should work well and not cost me a friggin van load of cash (not the extended van like Colin's, just a regular van:p:). Not sure where the coil over's would attach at the axle, either on top of the radius arms where the coils should be, or just outside that at the axle. At the axle would give me a few more inches of shock length, but then I would have to bring out the top mount as well, which might be in the way of the tire during up travel. Also would get wheels with 4 to 4.5 inches backspacing like Stic's so the tires don't stick out too far.

Not sure where the coil over's would attach at the axle, either on top of the radius arms where the coils should be, or just outside that at the axle. At the axle would give me a few more inches of shock length, but then I would have to bring out the top mount as well, which might be in the way of the tire during up travel. Also would get wheels with 4 to 4.5 inches backspacing like Stic's so the tires don't stick out too far.
$0.02 :

Depending on the shock length you're planning to run: put the axle tabs as far out as possible -- either on the inner knuckle or right next to it if welding to cast is a no-go. And then mount the upper part of the shock pretty far in with plenty of clearance in off camber droop (one side full stuff, one side full droop). The angled-in shocks helps fight body roll on the road.

And dont forget to feed the horses!

$0.02 :

Depending on the shock length you're planning to run: put the axle tabs as far out as possible -- either on the inner knuckle or right next to it if welding to cast is a no-go. And then mount the upper part of the shock pretty far in with plenty of clearance in off camber droop (one side full stuff, one side full droop). The angled-in shocks helps fight body roll on the road.

And dont forget to feed the horses!

Ditto run the shocks like this / \ and use the inner side of the knuckle for a mount point, triangulateing(sp?) that that part.

Ditto run the shocks like this / \ and use the inner side of the knuckle for a mount point, triangulateing(sp?) that that part.
Okay, now I have a good plan, but just need to free up about five grand to get this all installed. But I have one question....What does "that that part" mean????:p::cool: I was thinking of doing what Winter said....get it all lined up, and the axle where I want it, then measure for the coil overs and go buy them. Won't really know the length until I am ready to install them.

I also need to read up on spring rates and such, since I know nothing about this. Maybe I will just ask Winter.....hmmmmmmmmmmm

"DWD starts a chant" Keep in time with the green bouncers.

:bounce:Moab:bounce:

I would have loved to make it to Moab this year too, but that is not going to happen either. Moab is one of the places that if I never went again, I would never forget. I could live there, it was so scenic. Build myself an RV park and semi-retire. Go wheelin' daily. Oh, yeah.

If you want your RV to go to Moab I'll take it up there and make sure it stays familiar with the road to Moab next month?
Gee, let me think........................NO!:D;):p:

I could see the return thread with a pic of my RV up on the top of Golden Spike trail.

Ummmm, is this done yet? I can help fund this project by getting that ARB'd 4.56 pig out from under your truck.
Nope, the axle is all in pieces in my shed, just waiting for me to get around to it. Have some other stuff that is more of a priority. Besides, that "ARB'd 4.56 pig" is really an ARB'd 5.13 pig.:p:;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ARRRRGH, well I do have a 5.13'd 8.8 sitting behind my house. Probably won't be able to get the 3 speed moving that fast with those gears though.
Well, you could still use the ARB, since when Paul B had it he was running 4.56 gears. Its at least ten years old though, but still seems to work very well. Just don't hold your breath since I haven't even had the D44 hot tanked yet.

Back