• Register Today It's free!

DayTime Running Lights/Problem???

truszip

Reaction score
City, State
Lansdowne, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
The daytime running lights quit on my 99 explorer, the bulbs are fine - any idea's as to what else it could be?? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I take it then that your headlights are working ok as you stated the bulbs are fine. This then would lead me to believe that the module is defective ( burnt out ) .It is located on the drivers side of vehicle at the front - behind the rad support , slightly above the bumper . Close by will be one of the air bag impact sesnors- DON'T mess with that. The DRL ( daytime running lights) module will be one of two styles . (1) an oval shaped electrical connector with 5 or 6 wires ( not sure- I have a 2000 sport with the other style ) or ( 2) a square shaped connector with 6 wires. The module itself is about 3"x 4" for the oldstyle ( oval) and about 3" x 3" for the new style. Appprox cost ( as new ) about $80 (CAN $ ) and is simply unpug, unbolt and replace with new. You may be able to find used but be ware- the Ford DRL module is notorious for burning out. On the old style( oval) the module creates a high frequency ( 400 HZ) AC voltage applied to the high beams. This results in te reduced brilliance for DRL. However- your headlight bulbs where never designed to run on AC - so eventually this burns out the high beams too. The module creates a lot of heat ( it has heatsinks & potting compound to disipate heat ). Usually when it fails-it will short to the on condition- and your DRL lights stay on after you shut vehicle off- thus killing battery. Neither situation is good- so go with new if you need DRLS.
The new style module is simpy some switching logic and a large resitive bank- which effectively cuts down voltage applied to the low beams. It s better in that no AC applied to headlights - but it is not a retrofit due to different wiring and connector.
Check with Ford dealer - they used to replace failed DRL modules as part of a secret warranty ( had 2 replaced - on one a '91 F150 and 1 on a '94 Ranger 4X4. If dealer says no- -you know what you have to do.
Also- if you absolutely convinced you need DRLs( to pass annual inspection etc) then this is your only alternative. If you not concerned about DRLs - a jumper is available from FOrd that plugs in place of DRL module and enable flash to pass High beam indication.
One more thing- check to make sure your parking brake not parially engaged- as this will disable DRL's. It easy to miss nad could save you some money.

I take it then that your headlights are working ok as you stated the bulbs are fine. This then would lead me to believe that the module is defective ( burnt out ) .It is located on the drivers side of vehicle at the front - behind the rad support , slightly above the bumper . Close by will be one of the air bag impact sesnors- DON'T mess with that. The DRL ( daytime running lights) module will be one of two styles . (1) an oval shaped electrical connector with 5 or 6 wires ( not sure- I have a 2000 sport with the other style ) or ( 2) a square shaped connector with 6 wires. The module itself is about 3"x 4" for the oldstyle ( oval) and about 3" x 3" for the new style. Appprox cost ( as new ) about $80 (CAN $ ) and is simply unpug, unbolt and replace with new. You may be able to find used but be ware- the Ford DRL module is notorious for burning out. On the old style( oval) the module creates a high frequency ( 400 HZ) AC voltage applied to the high beams. This results in te reduced brilliance for DRL. However- your headlight bulbs where never designed to run on AC - so eventually this burns out the high beams too. The module creates a lot of heat ( it has heatsinks & potting compound to disipate heat ). Usually when it fails-it will short to the on condition- and your DRL lights stay on after you shut vehicle off- thus killing battery. Neither situation is good- so go with new if you need DRLS.
The new style module is simpy some switching logic and a large resitive bank- which effectively cuts down voltage applied to the low beams. It s better in that no AC applied to headlights - but it is not a retrofit due to different wiring and connector.
Check with Ford dealer - they used to replace failed DRL modules as part of a secret warranty ( had 2 replaced - on one a '91 F150 and 1 on a '94 Ranger 4X4. If dealer says no- -you know what you have to do.
Also- if you absolutely convinced you need DRLs( to pass annual inspection etc) then this is your only alternative. If you not concerned about DRLs - a jumper is available from FOrd that plugs in place of DRL module and enable flash to pass High beam indication.
One more thing- check to make sure your parking brake not parially engaged- as this will disable DRL's. It easy to miss and could save you some money.

Did all 2000's have DRLs? Mine does not seem to have them. Is there a switch to turn them on/off?

I have a 97 XLT with the autodimming mirror setup... do i have DRL?

I belive it is only on the Canadian models as they are required by law to have day running lights.

Originally posted by Runnin'OnEmpty
Did all 2000's have DRLs? Mine does not seem to have them. Is there a switch to turn them on/off?

Runnin' onEmpty- the answer to your question is a definite - maybe. Here in Canada- DRL's are required by law on all passenger vehicles . Now- keep in mind that for the most part- the Explorers are all built on the same assembly lines for American, Canadian, and International markets with minor production changes as per country of point of sale. Example- Canadian & international destination Explorers would receive gauges calibrated in metric ( kilometers per hour for speedo etc) where as Explorers destined for USA will have gauges calibrated in imperial units ( miles per hour for speedo ) .Same hold true for other differences like DRL's- Canada gets them to be in compliance with vehicle standards in accordance with Canadian law. Now- because both vehicles come off the same assembly line ( as a rule) both meaning American & Canadian destination for point of sale- there is a possibilty that your 2000 may have the necessary harness in place to accept the DRL module. Check out the location in previous post and look for a 6 wire connector that is not plugged in to anything or terminates into a dead cap. This cap is the DRL jumper used on American models to enable flash to pass indication on high beam indicator on instrument panel. Now - if you had that jumper cap- and you removed it from the associated connector- you could in theory plug in the DRL module for a 2000 explorer and have daytime running lights.
keep in mind- this is anybody,s guess as to whether you would have this connector and harness on your USA destination vehicle since it was never required . However-it seems to make more sense to build and stock one harness that's compatible with all vehicle requirements ( Canadian, American or international market destinations). Having said that, the only way to know is to crawl underneath and start looking.
F.Y.I.- I know that this is theoretical but- I have disconnected my DRLs module on other vehicles and install the shorting cap- and all is well ( flash to pass indication, parking brake applied and all light functions as per normal ). In theory- if you disconnected the shorting cap ( if its even there) and plug in the module- you could achieve the DRL's you interested in.
Also- be adivsed- Ford is known for having engineering changes during production runs due to suppliers changing, problems associated with assembly, warranty or malfunction. This could work to your advantage and get you the harness you need if supplies were out or to your disadvantage if changes were incorporated into the harness design.
Sorry for the long answer- but it is worth clarifying .

drls are required by law in canada, as with block heaters, in the states its called the winter package,

Yup, i got all that...DRLs, winterization, XLS limited edition, message centerization, oh my...hehehe...yet, im from alaska...the explorer is from canada, but my speedo is MPH...

My 2013 Explorer DRL stopped working

Holy old thread Batman. It has to be record.

Back