Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Dealer keyless entry/antitheft information

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by yourpc, January 9, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. yourpc

yourpc New Member

City, State:
      Coos Bay Oregon
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 Explorer Sport 2wd 5sp
      I have a dealer installed anti-theft unit in my 97 Explorer Sport. I did not get a fob with the truck and noticed the system was partially unplugged when I removed it for identification. It has no real markings on it as the original sticker may have fallen off. I am trying to see if I can make it work again or even install one in its place. This is one of the units that has a button under the dash on the drivers side. Has anyone seen one or have one like this and can tell me what kind of remote to purchase? Besides the wiring info on the bottom, all the outside says is Made In America. Opened it up and there isn't anything to identify it inside. Thanks IMG_1911.jpg IMG_1910.jpg IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1908.jpg

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. J_C

J_C Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Florence, KY
      '98 XLT 4WD V6SOHC
      See if there is an FCC ID# on it, that can help to determine origin.

However even if you ID it, you might have a hard time finding remotes to purchase for a ~ 21 year old alarm system.

If the vehicle is fully functional without it hooked up, then I'd assume they returned the wiring to a factory state, at least electrically so, and go on that to start installing a new system.

Last edited: January 9, 2018
    4. yourpc

yourpc New Member

City, State:
      Coos Bay Oregon
      No markings at all. That is why I thought I would check here. Unfortunately the car will not run without it at least partially plugged in. Drove my Ranger to work this morning. ;) I wouldnt mind replacing it. Just would like one that would go in about the same way and the same place under the drivers area under the dash. This one is an anti-theft but I would be happy with keyless entry.
      Anyone have a suggestion for a good aftermarket remote system?

5. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      Can you post a pic of the lower back side of it? The "THIS PART COMPLIES..." area.

Maybe even post a pic of the circuit board inside...

• Like Like x 1
    6. yourpc

yourpc New Member

City, State:
      Coos Bay Oregon
      Toypaseo Here are the images you asked for. I scoured the net looking the first night before I decided to post here. I could not find an image in Google like this unit either. Im guessing there was a tag on it at some point and that tag came off over the years.

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.JPG

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

7. yourpc

yourpc New Member

City, State:
      Coos Bay Oregon
      Looks like they "really" didn't want you to know who the actual manufacturer was. I looked up PEI and they are an electronics manufacturer. They may have made these specifically for Ford dealers to some sort of Ford Specs. Mine does have that magic reset button under the dash as well. Mine is a red button rather than black though.

8. 1998Exp

1998Exp Active Member

City, State:
      Seattle WA
      98 Limited V8 AWD
      Just wondering what this box accomplished besides sounding the horn and interrupting the starter -- which can be hot-wired by a 12-year old in less than a minute, and why you need it at all. Did it provide remote door opening?

9. lobo411

lobo411 Active Member

1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV
      If it's like most dealer-installed alarms, it performs the essential function of padding the dealership's profits. :)

10. yourpc

yourpc New Member

City, State:
      Coos Bay Oregon
      1998 Exp. Yes this sounded an alarm and also disabled the truck. The bonus was it also made keyless entry work on an otherwise manual truck. My model came with electric locks and windows but was not a keyless system from the factory. I may just patch up the over-ride part of the wiring and eliminate it for now. I have the box out of the car right now since I was trying to identify it. I have found that without it in place the truck will not turn over. Ignition goes on but no crank.
      Any suggestions on a good replacement for this unit would be appreciated. (I looked and there is no wiring for the OEM style as far as I can tell.) That really is the direction I have decided to go at this point. Not having the keyless entry is really one of the few things I dont like about the truck. I have even replaced the drivers seat with a power seat since the base of the original was WAY broken when I got the rig.

11. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      I showed the pics to my neighbor who used to work for Ford installing aftermarket items. He said the dealer was being cheap, and the unit itself is a POS.

12. 1998Exp

1998Exp Active Member

City, State:
      Seattle WA
      98 Limited V8 AWD
      When I bought my '98, barely two years old at the time, it had one of those boxes installed. The truck had PATS and remote door locking, so all this box did was disconnect the starter wire. I laughed hard, reconnected the starter wire, and threw the box in the trash.

13. Rick Rock

Rick Rock Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Battle Creek, MI
      1996 explorer xlt
      They cut one of the ignition wires and wired the unit inline, most likely a red/lt blue wire which goes to the starter

Screenshot_20180113-225148.jpg

14. yourpc

yourpc New Member

City, State:
      Coos Bay Oregon
      Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. I had to put it back in temporarily to drive it part of last week however my goal this afternoon if I have time is to remove it. I think its screwing with my horn and door locks as well. Even without the big connector on it appears to mess with the truck.

Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

15. yourpc

yourpc New Member

City, State:
      Coos Bay Oregon
      Thanks guys. Appreciate the info. I had to put it back in temporarily to drive it part of last week however my goal this afternoon if I have time is to remove it. I think its screwing with my horn and door locks as well. Even without the big connector on it appears to mess with the truck.

16. Rick Rock

Rick Rock Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Battle Creek, MI
      1996 explorer xlt
      I bought a 96 explorer with a ford add on keyless entry, it messed with my locks quite badly, I ended up pulling it out and using my aftermarket unit