Dealer refuses to install a used tire to replace a used tire. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dealer refuses to install a used tire to replace a used tire.

The Reader's Digest version (short form) of my story: Why would a car dealer refuse to unmount one tire, different than the other 3, and remount the rim with a used tire the same as the other three tires. He said a smaller place "might" do it, like Discount Tire or Walmart. It's not like it's a retread - perfectly good used tires get removed from vehicles all the time. What if I bought new, same-sized rims? Snow tires? BTW, I've done business with this dealer for 10 years, I'm not just some schmo off the street!

I bought a 9 month old '16 Explorer Limited several months ago. It had come from a rental fleet, had 22k miles on it, but otherwise is in great shape. The pros & cons, ups and downs of buying a rental can be discussed elsewhere (I'm sure it's been brought up). As long as it still has full warranty remaining, plus the extended I'll buy is enough for me.

I missed one thing during my test drive; I did check the tire tread on all 4 tires, it all looks good and even, perhaps about another 12-18 months left on them. The donut tire has been used (I noticed this later at home while going through the fine details), noticeable only because it was dirty and a bit worn. What I missed was the brand of tires.

After I had the car home, I knew something was off about the car, it just took 2 weeks to hit me when I was installing the molded mud flaps; one tire was a totally different brand than the others with a totally different tread pattern. 3 are Nexen Roadian tires (which are sold at Walmart and a few smaller independent shops), the other is a Hankook brand. They all have the same tread depth. Well, this just struck me as really odd. I wouldn't think Ford would put "Walmart" type tires (which, surprisingly, are rated very well!) on the car at delivery - unless the rental company (unknown) requested it to save money. Possible, anyone? Obviously at some point, someone had a flat, used the donut, and the tire was replaced with the Hankook.

This is one of those things that really bug me and raise my OCD to Defcon 1. I was already aware "something" was not quite right, once I discovered it, it will bug me until the end of time! Fortunately, I was able to find a matching Nexen Roadian tire on eBay, the tread difference was only 1/8th". For $85, including S&H from RI to AZ, I have the tire in my garage.

The Explorer had to go into Ford for servicing "Battery Low, shutting down accessories" (which I thought was way cool that it shuts off unnecessary items to keep the car running as long as possible! "Re-Route power from the Warp Drive to Shields!" (self-proclaimed geek) and I asked them to swap the tire and they refused. The man who took the car in at night said it was "illegal" to install a used tire (um...how do people get snowtires put on?), when I picked it up the next day, I was told by the technician that there was too much liability. Has anyone heard of this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is probably a company policy. I own a business and sell new tires. It is illegal for me to SELL used tires but I can mount up any tires a customer brings. You do have to usually sign a waiver accepting responsibly of the tire.

Absolutely would not do this. Unfortunately the folks that get a used tire mounted and go out and have an accident are the first ones in line with their lawyer at your door. And because of this policy has changed ALOT. Go and try to get tires on your vehicle that aren't the size listed in the door jamb. Sure you can take them off and roll them in they will put any thing on. Second is the vehicle you have requires a four tires same size. Belive it or not diffrent manufacturers with same tire sizes actually measure diffrent when checking circumference. 3/8 of an inch difference in circumference between tires will toast your transfer case if it is 4wd.

Absolutely would not do this. Unfortunately the folks that get a used tire mounted and go out and have an accident are the first ones in line with their lawyer at your door. And because of this policy has changed ALOT. Go and try to get tires on your vehicle that aren't the size listed in the door jamb. Sure you can take them off and roll them in they will put any thing on. Second is the vehicle you have requires a four tires same size. Belive it or not diffrent manufacturers with same tire sizes actually measure diffrent when checking circumference. 3/8 of an inch difference in circumference between tires will toast your transfer case if it is 4wd.
Well, this is rather the point - when I bought the car, it has 3 of the same brand/size tires, one different brand, same size tire. So I purchased a used tire, exactly the same brand/size as the matching 3 with almost the same tread depth. I want all 4 wheels to have the exact same tires, same tread design (BTW, don't know if it makes a difference, but the 3 matching tires are tread-directional, meaning they are all supposed to turn in a certain direction - I'm sure that was obvious, I just didn't know if I explained it right, plus I've never, in 40 years, had directional tires!)

And yes, I do understand the litigious position they could be in. But, as you say, these ARE the same size listed on the door jamb. So, once again, all I'm trying to do is to have 4 exact-matching tires on the car and get rid of the odd one.

One question - and this may be an old wives tale or perhaps an old law or general safety guideline, but I was always told that tires had to bought/replaced in pairs. Say I get a nail in the sidewall thus ruining the tire and say the tires are half-way through their useable life. So set me straight on this, if you can (just had this convo with my mom 2 months ago!); if one tire is ruined, you shouldn't buy just one tire, thus having 3 half-used tires and one brand new one - should you? That's where I was always told to buy them in pairs, always have the 2 newer ones on the same axle at rotation. Thus there are always 2 tires of the same size/brand on an axle. To me, this makes sense (and it leaves you with a 5th, spare tire - the good one that was replaced by buying a pair). My mother thinks that this was something made up by tire companies to sell more tires. Do you know the truth of that? Thanks!

PS - So, I still am driving on 3 same tires and one off brand tire (again, all the same size). I have the used tire I purchased that is a "sister" to the 3 tires, thus making a matching set of 4 - and I REALLY want them all the same! How would you suggest I go about having someone do this?

It is probably a company policy. I own a business and sell new tires. It is illegal for me to SELL used tires but I can mount up any tires a customer brings. You do have to usually sign a waiver accepting responsibly of the tire.
Thanks - I understand the lawsuits that something like this could bring - and I also knew it was a risk buying a used tire from the other side of the states, sight-unseen (would it have mattered if I did see it? "Hmm, uh-huh, it's a tire, looks in good shape, no gaping holes"? Until it's mounted, I'd have no idea if it has leaks!). And it's a shame that everyone is so sue-happy these days. Look at how many tires, perfectly good used tires, are thrown out every year if it's illegal to sell them! If I buy a brand new car and it's totalled, does that mean those tires can't be resold, being essentially brand new?

One more question - if it's illegal for you to sell used tires, why was it okay for me to buy this tire on eBay, me being in Arizona, the seller in Rhode Island? Different laws, I assume?

Also, if you have time, could you see the postings I had with transman304 on this thread and tell me your take on the "buy tires in pairs" issue (I've been told that by my parents since I was old enough to change a tire!!) Thanks!

There is a business for used tires but you must be insured properly. I know when my agent was writing my company policy he asked if I sold used tires because it has to be in there. Also in my city you must specify if you sell used or new tires in your business licence because they tax you per tire sold.

There is no problem with used tires, just some of the scum business that sell them.

You replace new tires in pairs because of thread depth. You replace 1 used tire with another used tire of same brand with matching thread depth is perfectly acceptable.

Just curious... what is the DOT date code of the tire? Some places won't even touch a tire due to age.

Just curious... what is the DOT date code of the tire? Some places won't even touch a tire due to age.
I checked and the years are all '15 / '16, even the used one I purchased - it's only a few months older than the oldest one on the car. I'd think that's okay.

Well, this is rather the point - when I bought the car, it has 3 of the same brand/size tires, one different brand, same size tire. So I purchased a used tire, exactly the same brand/size as the matching 3 with almost the same tread depth. I want all 4 wheels to have the exact same tires, same tread design (BTW, don't know if it makes a difference, but the 3 matching tires are tread-directional, meaning they are all supposed to turn in a certain direction - I'm sure that was obvious, I just didn't know if I explained it right, plus I've never, in 40 years, had directional tires!)

And yes, I do understand the litigious position they could be in. But, as you say, these ARE the same size listed on the door jamb. So, once again, all I'm trying to do is to have 4 exact-matching tires on the car and get rid of the odd one.

One question - and this may be an old wives tale or perhaps an old law or general safety guideline, but I was always told that tires had to bought/replaced in pairs. Say I get a nail in the sidewall thus ruining the tire and say the tires are half-way through their useable life. So set me straight on this, if you can (just had this convo with my mom 2 months ago!); if one tire is ruined, you shouldn't buy just one tire, thus having 3 half-used tires and one brand new one - should you? That's where I was always told to buy them in pairs, always have the 2 newer ones on the same axle at rotation. Thus there are always 2 tires of the same size/brand on an axle. To me, this makes sense (and it leaves you with a 5th, spare tire - the good one that was replaced by buying a pair). My mother thinks that this was something made up by tire companies to sell more tires. Do you know the truth of that? Thanks!

PS - So, I still am driving on 3 same tires and one off brand tire (again, all the same size). I have the used tire I purchased that is a "sister" to the 3 tires, thus making a matching set of 4 - and I REALLY want them all the same! How would you suggest I go about having someone do this?

just buy 1 new tire. then take your 1 new tire to a place that shaves tires to get enough of the new rubber ground off to match the other tires.
it's that easy! and really wasteful.

with virtually no 2 tires being the exact same size, especially when 1/2 worn, one would think the engineers would have designed a 2-3% margin into the AWD systems.

for the used tire mounting dilemma, try other shops. what do they do if someone buys new wheels and wants the existing (used) tires switched to them?

just buy 1 new tire. then take your 1 new tire to a place that shaves tires to get enough of the new rubber ground off to match the other tires.
it's that easy! and really wasteful.

with virtually no 2 tires being the exact same size, especially when 1/2 worn, one would think the engineers would have designed a 2-3% margin into the AWD systems.

for the used tire mounting dilemma, try other shops. what do they do if someone buys new wheels and wants the existing (used) tires switched to them?

Oh, this issue was taken care of weeks ago - I just went to Discount Tire, told them I purchased the car but missed that it had 3 matching and one mismatched but the 4th matching one was in the back when I drove off. Totally, absolutely played stupid and they changed it. They probably would have anyway. What's odd is the one "odd" tire was the original tire - a Hankook - that came on the car new. The 3 others had the same tread depth as the Hankook - so that's just really bizarre. Why would they have changed 3 of the original tires and not all 4? Mysteries of Life.

As for getting a 4th tire that matched, it was as simple as eBay. A place in RI had 2 of the same tires, Nexen Roadian, with almost the exact tread depth - I believe 3/16" more than my 3. Cost $85 for the tire including S&H, $20-ish for mounting/balancing, and I still have the 5th "odd" tire for "just in case". These tires should get at least another year on them. And they all match - and the replacement hasn't exploded.

Back